Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Reflecting back on the development of Fallout 3

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Why the hell does the gaming media masturbate to the Megaton bomb quest?

1) Does your character have a 25 demolitions skill? Yes, then proceed to step 3. No Proceed to Step 2.

2) Take mentats, proceed to step 3.

3) Activate bomb. If you choose disarm, go to step 4. If you choose detonate go to step 5.

4) Receive a house and cash in Megaton.

5) Receive a house and cash in Ten Penny Tower.

Seriously, what the fuck? Since when is this the pinnacle of quest design? The only semi-interesting part about it was that if you told the Sheriff about the bad guy, he'd get killed trying to arrest him. And it's hardly a difficult "moral choice". Blow a town up, OR not. Gee, I wonder which choice my dear old dad would prefer? And seeing as how there are only like 4 towns in the whole game, blowing up one of them means you have one less place to sell the mountains of loot you acquire dungeon-crawling.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
ScottishMartialArts said:
And seeing as how there are only like 4 towns in the whole game, blowing up one of them means you have one less place to sell the mountains of loot you acquire dungeon-crawling.

Especially since Megaton is the best place to sell your loot in my opinion. Destroying that shithole is too negative for the player to even consider it if you had a reasonable brain. Luckily nobody at Bethesda has.

bhlaab

Erudite

1) Does your character have a 25 demolitions skill? Yes, then proceed to step 3. No Proceed to Step 2.

3) Activate bomb. If you choose disarm, go to step 4. If you choose detonate go to step 5.

Seriously, what the fuck? Since when is this the pinnacle of quest design? The only semi-interesting part about it was that if you told the Sheriff about the bad guy, he'd get killed trying to arrest him. And it's hardly a difficult "moral choice". Blow a town up, OR not. Gee, I wonder which choice my dear old dad would prefer? And seeing as how there are only like 4 towns in the whole game, blowing up one of them means you have one less place to sell the mountains of loot you acquire dungeon-crawling.

The idea is that you're losing a ton of NPCs and a ton of quests and opportunities by blowing up the town.

HOWEVER
Most of the quests in megaton are just bullshit like "fix the 5 leaky pipes". The only one that amounts to any rewards worth getting is Moira's Wasteland Survival Guide. And guess what, she doesn't die in the explosion!

And she just happens to be the town's shopkeeper! Golly, what a coincidence.(She also turns into a ghoul instantaneously which is ridiculous)

On the flip side of the coin, you don't get much of anything for detonating the bomb anyway. You get access to Tenpenny Towers, which you can get inside easily enough anyway.

So the funny thing is, the whole megaton quest epitomizes exactly what's WRONG with Fallout 3

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
That quest was the biggest piece of bullshit I've ever seen.
Seriously, a buddy of mine and I played FO3 from start to finish and it was one of the worst gaming experiences ever.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Jaesun said:
Complete Article Summary said:
Oh Todd! Emil! *slurp* *slurp* *slurp* Oh Gawd! I love it! *slurp* *slurp* *slurp* I can't get enough Bethesda cock! *slurp* *slurp* *slurp* Gawd! Your RPG cocks, are so HUGE! *slurp* *slurp* Oh God! *slurp* *slurp* *slurp* IT'S HEVAN! *slurp* *slurp* *slurp* *slurp* *slurp* *slurp*

Jaesun, that was so good I had to copy+paste it to their comments section :D

derill

Novice
sah said:
I looked to the right and saw the name of another article:

Bethesda: We haven't yet mastered the RPG

What's funny is that in that article, a bethesda fan blames the limitations of modern technology.

Turok

Erudite

Seriously, what the fuck? Since when is this the pinnacle of quest design?

You know the answer of this, consolegeeks have never see something so much deeper than this before, this is why is a big hit.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Very few games took you to the places that Black Isle dared, and it’s natural to be wary of even the most skilful and well-meaning alien influence.

But the road to hell is paved with good intentions of skillful aliens. Everyone knows that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom