Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Replaying Jade Empire

Quigs

Magister
Replayed JE for the first time since I got it on release day (and the week or two afterwards).

Didnt realize that Gao the Lesser is in fact Malcom Reynolds, Nathan Fillion.

I couldnt take him seriously as a bad guy after that.

Unwanted

Zinc

Unwanted
Could you really have taken him seriously anyway?

Levski 1912

Scholar
Zinc said:
Could you really have taken him seriously anyway?
The villains in this game were way over the top. The speech before the last battle had me rolling on the floor laughing.

Chefe

Erudite
Why would anyone want to play this shitty game in the first place, let alone replay it.

dipdipdip

Liturgist
I like how Bioware tried to sell that the game had more "grey areas," or what have you, and that the game's villain wasn't necessarily Mr. Evil, that he's simply doing what he thinks is right, in intereviews and on their TV special, and it all boils down to maybe two or three lines of dialogue at the very end of the game. Oh, and of course when you choose to go with the guy's plan, he pulls the "Muahahaha" schtick.

Old habbits die hard...

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
Hm, I've yet to actually see any screenshots/in-game footage from this game. How Kubrick.

Chefe

Erudite
Pr()ZaC said:
I'm rubber, you're glue...

You filthy Rubbers have been nothing but trouble for the Glue Confederacy. Prepare to die.

Chefe

Erudite
Nicolai said:
Hm, I've yet to actually see any screenshots/in-game footage from this game. How Kubrick.

Imagine asians looking uglier than usual, and you have Jade Empire.

Levski 1912

Scholar
Chefe's just pissed the supposed sex scene didn't have any hentai.

Not that the game was actually good, mind you...

LCJr.

Erudite
I've heard this game mentioned twice and that was here. I take it the thing is real dog?

Chefe

Erudite
Not even hentai could save that steaming pile of putrid waste.

Drakron

Arcane
LCJr. said:
I've heard this game mentioned twice and that was here. I take it the thing is real dog?

Depends ...

(I know Volourn will eventually end up defending this game).

Jade Empire is a action RPG but its very poorly at that ... as you could have several builds in Diablo in JE the only thing you have is 4 choices and you end up getting all of that with how effective you are in then depending on how you spend points (and the points only affect damage/speed/duration).

Also combat is a paper/rock/scissors game ... enemy defends/you make a strong attack ... enemy attacks/you defend ... enemy makes a strong attack/you attack.

Futher breaking it is the "flip out" as you are fully capable of jumping all over the area to escape being hit as nobody else in the game was able to understand the ability to "jump real good".

As for equipment ... nope, there is nothing on the sort besides the amulet that you have "manage" the mables in it (if you care) with everything else being a joke ... you get "technic schools" that update your stats but they do that just by having then and several are given to you.

Dialogue special choices are based on the 3 diferent stats but invariable none of those are any diferent (leading all down to the exact same path) and one of then will end up working anway (or you just get a taslisma marble and raise it).

The story is standart BioWare fanfare with the the unusual "illusion of choice" since its even far worst that KotOR in that matter ... and yes there is a "KotOR Temple Summit save game to see the other ending" choice but I think its even worst that KotOR since you dont even HAVE to complete a entire area (and making a choice midway) before that happens.

Universe is underdeveloped and unrealistic ... the flying shit (ships and palace ... yes the Emperor of China lived on a flying bucket) were simply wrong ... its not like FF were the airships actually are part of the art design but some insect mechanical ugly things that look out of place (a hint for BioWare Indian Art Sweetshop workers, do not base your artwork in real examples just to completly forget about it and decide "oh insects are nice" and completly RUIN the artwork direction).

Also because BioWare thinks "sex sales" you also get the Stardart BioWare romance, now with lesbian, gay and threesome option (last option for male characters only, also the gay and strait female option are the same and the princess swings boths ways as well).

Its perhaps not the worst game that BioWare have done (NwN is severious competition for that title) but its so mediocre that I cannot see why would anyone want to play that crap ... I just got it because I own a XBox and wanted to raise that console game collection and I sold it back as fast as I could.

obediah

Erudite
je is the most complext rpg experience ever. And does not in any way feel like a KoToR rehash.

Quigs

Magister
I liked it. Its as close to a martial arts rpg as there has been yet. Drak is off on the no items part, there are a half a dozen different weapons (all weapons have their own style. Which doesnt really make a difference since there is only a handfull, but it counts).

At the begining of combat, the opponents announce their fighting styles (again, only a dozen or so) and start kicking ass.

By combining different attack styles (you can switch from a damaging style, like Legendary Strike, to a support style, each style doing a different type of support, like slowing the enemy, stoning him, paralyzing him, or magic that freezes enemy in place, etc) you can do Harmonic Combos.

Like, Parylyze your opponent with a support combo, switch over to the White Zombie martial arts, attack with a heavy blow, and literally explode your opponent, ala every saturday morning kung fu movie ever.

Quigs

Magister
Tried. Cheap enemies piss me off.

Theres one save zone on the 2nd world, where you start off with a bad camera angle (with no way to fix it), in a building alcove, with enemies that always spawn right behind you.

Seboss

Liturgist
Hehe, Ninja Gaiden pissed me off after level 2. Insanely difficult, at least for me who has the lightning reflexes of the Bubbling Bivalv.

Xi

Arcane
This game always interested me. I'm a sucker for cheesy Kung Fu movies. So, I always wanted to try this. Too bad it's an Xbox only.(Or was?) Id probably pick it up for PC just out of curiousity. Even with negative reviews, Id probably enjoy it because of my love for wuxia movies.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Nope, for some reason it remains an Xbox exclusive, despite Bioware's still considerable fanbase on the PC and the fact its done all it can do to sell Xboxes. I think we have a commercial light weight here, otherwise it really would be a no brainer. Bioware wouldn't even have to be the ones who port it, there are plenty of development houses who could do the work. And just looking at the example of Fable, why not?

Drakron

Arcane
Except Fable got in PC and Microsoft was the publisher with Lionhead doing the work.

I suspect that Jade Empire did not performed to anyone expectations so Microsoft cannot see spending their time with a game convertion were they likely to lose money over and BioWare not overall keen of doing it for the exact same reasons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom