Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Repulsive Stupid Idiot Plays Romance of the Three Kingdoms 11

I am a fat idiot

• Great!

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Me too.

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Wow!

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Hurray.

Votes: 7 24.1%

• Total voters
How about Rat Diplomacy with Dong Zhuo to buy time and finish off Liu Biao? Truce with the strong and devour the weak.
Let Cao Cao use up his troop on Dong for a change.
Yeah, this is how I feel too. I actually try this every other turn or so but Guo Jia keeps telling me it won't work. Ceasefires usually cost gold and all of my cities are pretty poor right now.

In an unrelated note, how do custom officers work in the game?
I can't really remember because it's actually been 2 years or so since the last time I played this, but I think you can set all of their stats in the character creator and just plunk them down wherever you want at the start of the game. I'm pretty sure you can make your own forces with created characters but I can't remember how exactly it works.

Thanks for reading this everyone. I really appreciate it!!

laclongquan

Arcane
How about incite Dong Zhuo against every neighbour of his? Even if it fails the neighbour wont hold it against us because we incite Dong, not them, right?

If Dong send 3-4 armies to all of his neighbours, your front will no longer be so sorely pressed.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Dong Zhou faction will self destruct, you'll see. The AI, once stripped of capable officers cannot adapt well to handicaps or multifront wars.
As for custom kingdoms, there's no limit to how many custom officers you can create or establish your kingdom with. It's pretty unfair, but if you want to start a child with Zhao Yun, you can't. All family trees are pre-determined - so you're stuck with just pre-editing your children stats and years they'll come out of your wife or womb.

anus_pounder

Arcane
While I'm usually with the LPer's side, this time I hope something bad happens like Lu Bu dying or changing sides to someone else. Never really liked him. Though you can't deny his usefulness.

Anyway, keep up the great work. I'm definitely enjoying this. :salute:

laclongquan

Arcane
With Lu Bu to your side can Dong Zhuo's faction splinter? he's a major factor for that.

And how about your defected officers? They got recruited by Dong but are their loyalties still high to him? How about incite them not to follow your faction but to revolt?

XenomorphII

Prophet
I have to disagree about a ceasefire with Dong Zhuo. It is far better for you if you can weather his armies then assault Xu Chang from the east and begin picking off those three juicy large economic cities of his, then to fight with Liu Biao. Besides letting a monster Sun form should keep the LP more interesting for a longer time.

laclongquan

Arcane
Fuck interesting! We are Yuan Shu, one of the most underpowered but overhyped warlord of that period. As soon as we ascend the throne, everybody and his dog will jump on us with both feet. We need that breathing period just to prepare defense, hire more good officers, etc...
Dong Zhuo is common threat of all warlords at that time. We will invite other factions step up for the 'honor' of fighting him.

Tigranes

Arcane
In my experience, diplomacy in ROTK11 is pretty much like the Total War games; the AI wants to rape you and will only peace out when it's actually easier for you to just destroy them. i.e. not now. Hell, you can buy them off but they'll be back as soon as the ceasefire ends. Depending on whether you think Cao Cao could go ahead and take Chang An after a while, you might want to just have Lu Bu hold the fort while you branch down South. Once you've got a decent foothold, you could move your kingdom entirely south of the river and take out Liu Biao; that will give you plenty of personnel with naval expertise that diminishes Dong Zhuo's threat further.

Looks like you're using the central location to get a lot of officers, though, you could probably even nab some Sun heroes like Lu Xun. And of course, you'll have control of the central region when That Guy spawns...

Edit: What would be interesting, actually, is if you said screw the South, and went all out on killing Dong Zhuo. I mean, 'historically', if Yuan Shu got hold of Lu Bu, that's exactly what he would do (and fail miserably). Chang An is a magnificent province, and you could even hope to take out Dong Zhuo in battle.

RK47

Patron
I'd say fuck everyone else. This is a golden opportunity to screw Cao Cao's efforts. I don't know why the AI is so obsessed with you so far...but if you see an opportunity, break the alliance with Cao Cao and neutralize him first before he gets too powerful. Or maybe go for the Sun family first if you want out of the main conflict.

laclongquan

Arcane
The man got sense in that strategy: use Lu Bu as the doorstopper on Dong's invasion and expand southward.

Cao Cao? He's too useful to check Yuan Shao and other northern powers; and pretty hard to take out. Ally with him to keep that flank secured. Let his powerful Cao and Xiahou generals your bulwalk on the north. Gongshun and Yuan wont be so easily swallowed by his force and the North will fragment for a time.

On the contrary, Liu Biao is too big a morsel, just waiting to be tastefully rape. He has no utility to worth keeping alive. Finish him off, I'd say.

Dong Zhou faction will self destruct, you'll see. The AI, once stripped of capable officers cannot adapt well to handicaps or multifront wars.
I don't know about this. Right now, Dong Zhuo could attack every single front (there are only four now that Ma Teng has been defeated) and win. Zhang Lu to his south just got attacked by Liu Yan. Zhang Lu won but he's a mess right now. Cao Cao only has about 20,000 soldiers after his disastrous attack on Luo Yang and Xu Chang only borders Kong Zhou, who stinks big time. As much as I dislike the way things are currently going, siphoning Dong Zhuo's troops into Wan and picking them off seems to be the only way we can weaken him. Right now, nobody is strong except for Dong Zhuo and Sun Jian.

I've got two strategies going at the same time here. The first is to hold out in Wan for as long as I can. Even though things are going well right now, I've already kind of written it off. Dong Zhuo keeps sending troops to the grinder, but sooner or later things are going to break down. The other one is to develop a base in the east and head south. If we take out Liu Biao and Sun Jian, it's game over for everyone else. I don't think Cao Cao is going to amount to much this game, but who knows.

Also, what do you all think about the way I'm doing this? I'm writing the LP as I play, which means I have no idea what's going to happen next and I can't really frame it into a narrative. Is this a good way to do it or should I try something else?

No idea how much I can do today, I'm going out later tonight and I plan on being completely hungover tomorrow!

Chapter 5 - The Battle of Wan

HZz9i.jpg

The battle for Wan continues. Hua Xiong is confused so Zhang Xun, Ji Ling and Huang Zhong, who is still wounded, gang up on him, taking him down nearly 2,000 soldiers. In the west, Xun Yu and Lu Bu hold the pass after capturing Gao Shun. More troops are coming from Chang An, so I'm going to reinforce it as soon as I'm done with Hua Xiong.

yYjpX.png

I get excellent news next turn. Du Ji, one of my men in Shou Chun, has managed to recruit Ma Chao. Chen Qun, another of my officers, manages to recruit Yan Jun, a decent administrator. Let's take a look at Ma Chao.

brR0E.png

Ma Chao was the son of Ma Teng, the warlord of Liang that Dong Zhuo defeated. In Luo Guanzhong's novel, he was one of Shu's legendary Tiger Generals but he actually spent most of his military career as an independent force. After his father was executed by Cao Cao, he captured Chang An for a brief period but fled to Zhang Lu when he was defeated. After Zhang Lu surrendered, he fled to Liu Bei. I really have no idea how much he contributed to Shu. He died less than a decade after he joined. Stat-wise, he's comparable to Lu Bu. He's a great cavalry general with slightly less warfare and leadership than Lu Bu, but more of everything else.

At this point we have a number of very good cavalry generals: Lu Bu, Ma Chao, Ji Ling, Huang Zhong and hopefully Gao Shun. When things calm down, I'm going to focus military production on horses and develop some cavalry tech.

aueI1.png

The next turn I send Lu Bu and Xun Yu back to Wan. Apparently because Lu Bu was lower rank than Xun Yu, Xun Yu was leading the unit which meant that it had much lower attack and defense scores than it should have. I replaced it with Li Yan, who dealt minor damage to Xu Rong. In the east, Ji Ling challenges Hua Xiong to a duel.

4wfHk.jpg

I am stupid idiot 111hello and I didn't expect Hua Xiong to actually accept!

zxW8x.jpg

Ji Ling starts out in defense mode, hoping to trigger his defense technique. It doesn't work and Hua Xiong beats the hell out of him. I had totally forgotten that Xu Gong was also in his unit, so he comes out of nowhere and takes a few punches to the face. This is a good thing though. Xu Gong and Ji Ling share a spirit bar, so any damage Xu Gong takes will add to it.

AX6gJ.jpg

I switch back to Ji Ling after getting two and a half bars of spirit. This duel was a phenomenally bad idea.

2HMm5.jpg

This is really bad. Hua Xiong pulls off a level 2 spirit attack that disables Ji Ling.

Ozbrm.png

Ji Ling finally has enough spirit energy to pull off a musou attack. Even if it works, Ji Ling will still be at a huge disadvantage.

qHlQu.jpg

It does. Xu Gong and Ji Ling are both at 1/3rd health and have 7 less war than Hua Xiong.

vhli6.jpg

Hua Xiong unleashes a mortal blow, which puts Ji Ling's health down to a sliver. I switch him out for Xu Gong.

xl5gL.png

Xu Gong stays in defense mode long enough to gain 2 bars of spirit energy. He performs a mortal blow, which only costs 1 bar.

CqrgJ.jpg

It knocks Hua Xiong off his horse, winning the duel. That was a close one!

YsKDN.png

Yeah, buddy. That was a close one! I'm never doing that again!

Nk5kg.png

We capture Hua Xiong and wipe out his 6,000 man army. Even when he's wounded he's still pretty decent. I throw him in my dungeon and hope he doesn't escape. Now the only threat on the eastern front is Xu Huang, who only has 1,600 soldiers.

aqU6r.png

Xu Huang does a whirlwind attack that kills over 1,000 men, Xun You confuses Li Yan and Hua Xin gets close enough to Wan to fire, killing 1,000 soldiers. This is really bad!

9oeEW.jpg

Huang Zhong has completely recovered from his wounds and lands a critical hit on Xu Huang, dealing considerable damage. We might be able to take him out if he doesn't flee next turn.

zkc90.png

Lu Bu's unit of less than 3,000 takes to the field and deals a huge amount of damage to Hua Xin's confused army.

8gce9.jpg

Lastly, Liang Gang captures the free city of Jian Ye. Jian Ye is the biggest and best city in southeast China and will be the main stronghold from which I fight Tao Qian. I had to take it quickly because Tao Qian had positioned himself to grab it. Tao Qian is allied and his nearby city of Wu only has 6,000 troops, but I'll have to develop Jian Ye quickly because my relations with neighbors are dropping rapidly.

ZSBj0.png

Here's the current map of China. I now control four cities: one in the central China and three in the east. You can also see troop movement on the map too. It looks like Zhang Lu might be staging an attack on somebody and Sun Jian is about to capture another city. That little gray diamond in the middle of my eastern territory is a port that belongs to Liu Dai.

Vmxxb.jpg

Huang Zhong finishes off Xu Huang but isn't able to capture him. Li Yan pushes Xu Rong one square away and manages to hold the single hex pass to the city. Xun Yu leaves Wan and confuses Hua Xin, disabling him for the turn and allowing a new archer unit led by Yu She and Xu Gong to deal 800 damage to him.

N39rw.jpg

What the hell is going on over here? It looks like Tao Qian is moving a fairly large army down south, presumably to take one of the last two free cities in the area. Both of them are adjacent to Liu Biao and I imagine they'll fight eventually. I don't care at all as long as they weaken each other.

JNJH8.png

Yuan Yin, the last of my officers captured at Xu Chang and Yuan Shu's nephew, has finally surrendered to Dong Zhuo.

NziOx.png

A battering ram unit let by Li Tong is heading to Wan from Xu Chang. It won't be hard to defeat because battering rams can only directly attack cities.

FRzpA.png

Yu She and Lu Bu finish off Hua Xin's siege tower unit, the main unit I'm concerned about for right now. An 11,000 man reinforcement unit from Chang An led by Dong Min, Dong Zhuo's brother, is coming close though. The unit is huge, but shows just how badly Dong Zhuo is doing now - Dong Min is terrible.

kjKn5.png

Because I have four cities now, an envoy from Emperor Xian comes and appoints me governor. I can raise peoples' ranks even higher now, but the only person who even has enough deeds to go up another rank is Lu Bu.

ldcAw.jpg

I constantly move troops back and forth from Wan as their numbers and willpower deplete. Xun Yu manages to confuse his nephew, Xun You and Yu She fires an incineration shot at him. He's stuck in a fire now and he'll continue to take damage as long as he's there. Lu Bu enters Wan and Huang Zhong takes his place with fresh troops, killing 800 of Xun You's men.

DWBAu.png

Yu She and Huang Zhong continue beat on Xun You. Xu Rong moves south to attack, but I don't think he'll be a big threat because he only has 2,600 men. Lu Bu confronts him with a troop of 4,000 cavalrymen and takes out half of his force with a single attack. Yue Jiu manages to hire Hou Cheng, one of the officers we captured early on in the battle. He's a solid cavalry general and his loss will weaken Dong Zhuo.

nMcif.jpg

Lu Bu finishes off Xu Rong's unit. Huang Zhong heads west to deal with Li Tong while Guo Jia and Xun Yu disable Dong Min and Xun You. Then I notice something remarkable - there are no incoming reinforcements. This is it - these are the last of Dong Zhuo's troops. Xu Chang has 18,000 troops, Luo Yang has 21,000 and Chang An has 37,000. I hope I didn't just jinx it.

9iMgO.jpg

Seriously, what the hell are you doing Tao Qian?

hSAaP.jpg

It's been a full year since the battle started. Dong Zhuo's total troop strength is now 179,000, down from 260,000 when it began. I assume that he's also drafted troops in that time too. By now it's possible that we've killed 100,000 men. On a strange note, Liu Dai has ended his alliance with Cao Cao. Haha, good luck with that.

Fzh63.png

Uh oh. I moved Xun Yu into Wan last turn because he ran out of will and forgot to move him back out. Looks like that was a good thing.

ciLyg.jpg

He wants to hire a guy named Yi Ji.

L9DWx.png

Whoa! He wants to debate about it? How did I not see that coming?

ejuCo.jpg

Face the facts, Yi Ji. It's the year of the Water Monkey.

1Rfbx.png

Truer words have never...

utzBN.png

...repelled a man backwards.

f8yN3.png

Xun Yu continues to dominate Yi Ji with his infallible logic and coherent arguments.

FmvHu.png

Yi Ji ignores Xun Yu a few times in a row, infuriating him.

o6t80.jpg

In his fury, Xun Yu unleashes his most logical argument of all.

0V7QE.jpg

But this makes Yi Ji mad. Now they're both furious and by extension, more persuasive.

pSYLT.png

Yi Ji repeats an argument he already said earlier in the debate... BUT LOUDER!

ztSMV.png

Wait a second - isn't that what Xun Yu just said?

uQvYz.png

Think about that for a minute. Maybe he's right.

sHnn1.jpg

Xun Yu finally manages to convince Yi Ji to join the army by talking about the stars...

HWbBz.jpg

...but just because Xun Yu has fully persuaded Yi Ji doesn't mean the debate is over yet. Show mercy or push on?

rEZrb.jpg

Xun Yu kindly chooses mercy and only backhandedly berates him for not being persuasive enough.

uOeCC.png

Yi Ji falls over from the agony of Xun Yu's words of wisdom.

hnpgm.png

Clearly mercy and humility aren't the same things in ancient China. Xun Yu follows up his advice with a victory dance.

A1uqo.png

The force of Xun Yu's logic was so powerful that it physically weakened Yi Ji. Yi Ji then pledges allegiance to Yuan Shu. Yi Ji has very high intelligence, political and charisma stats but there's no point in showing them right now because Xun Yu just verbally maimed him. I'll send him to Jian Ye, where he'll be instrumental in economic development.

5eYxS.png

Xun Yu, who's still in Wan, hires Hua Xiong, one of Dong Zhuo's remaining mega generals. This cements it: we're going to focus on cavalry tech.

Lu Bu obliterates Li Tong's unit in the east, clearing that theater and allowing Huang Zhong to return west to fight Dong Min and Xun You. Ji Ling leaves Wan and attacks Xun You, knocking him down to 100 men.

p97Mk.png

Meanwhile, Chen Qun in Shou Chun hires Lu Su, one of Sun Ce's domestic advisers. If I recall, he originally served Yuan Shu but left after he declared himself emperor. His wealth skill, which raises the income of cities by 50%, is extremely good.

2c36O.png

Ji Ling finishes off Xun You's troop and takes him captive. Dong Min is re-confused and the rest return to Wan to regroup.

B4EK5.png

Xun Yu's on a recruitment spree. He recruits the prisoner Hua Xin, who, in Luo Guanzhong's novel was one of the figures instrumental in the abdication of the Han emperor in 220. I don't think he did this in real life though. It's good that we're getting all these political officers now - we've got a lot of development and rebuilding to do.

ndDvz.png

Well how about that?

j3JZS.png

Yi Ji wants to recruit Lu Qian.

snKZO.jpg

Yi Ji's 80 versus Lu Qian's 55. This is going to be a landslide.

jbiFb.png

It is - Yi Ji easily defeats Lu Qian with his superior logic and coherence.

qODVh.png

He's alright. His stats are fairly average but he's not bad at anything and his bowmanship skill might help later on.

yT6fC.jpg

Lu Bu and Hua Xiong march out of Wan and assault their former superior, Dong Min, killing more than 3,000 men. Meanwhile, Liu Dai and Cao Cao skirmish on the road between their cities. It looks like Cao Cao has taken advantage of Dong Zhuo's assault on Wan to rebuild his forces - he now has about 34,000 and seems ready to expand. It might be a good idea to attack soon before he gets too strong.

j78cc.png

Xun Yu makes another amazing recruitment, the errant warlord Ma Teng. Ma Teng is another very good cavalry general, but his most important trait is his breeding skill. Breeding almost doubles the output for your stables at no additional cost. As good as he is on the battlefield, we'll want him staying at home to churn out horses.

P3abY.jpg

Tao Qian's strategy is working.

iL2Ph.png

Lu Bu and Hua Xiong push Dong Min further back. This is the first turn that enemies are far enough away from Wan that I can move officers to other cities. I have about 20 officers in Wan just sitting there, so I move a bunch out to Lu Jiang and Jian Ye, which really need more officers. Shou Chun is completely self-sufficient now and has 6,000 gold and 16,000 troops, but Lu Jiang and Jian Ye both have less than 1,000 troops. More officers will speed up development.

BlBjH.png

Lu Bu is the Ultimate Warr-

Wait a second.

Yeah, they're pretty much the same guy.

The Ultimate Warrior and Hua Xiong knock Dong Min down to 1,500 troops. I spend most of the turn doing boring domestic stuff for the first time in over a year.

BPijK.png

The next turn, Hua Xiong and Lu Bu finish off Dong Min. What to do with Dong Zhuo's brother...

PK3sV.png

Nope.

I hope this sends a message, Dong Zhuo. This is how Yuan Shu deals with his enemies. This is how Yuan Shu annihilates opposition, tears off their heads and drinks from their skulls. This is what happens to those who choose to disrespect, rather than fear Yuan Shu.

But you're always welcome to come to Wan and see for yourself.

jSJEY.jpg

And that's it. Nobody else is coming. Dong Zhuo has thrown everything he can at me and he lost.

DA640.png

Thanks to my holdings in eastern China, I've come out of the battle with more troops than I started with. I had 10,000 net losses in Wan but have the resources and personnel to not only recover, but expand.

PJAvH.png

Dong Zhuo, on the other hand, has 90,000 less soldiers and significantly less officers than he did a year ago. Although this isn't the end of Dong Zhuo, it is the beginning of the end.

This update was a lot bigger than I thought it would be! I'm going to get drunk now - happy New Year everyone!

Duckard

Augur
I think the LP is great as it is, since you explain stuff quite well and I can follow easily despite not having played the game. There's no need for every LP to have LARP-y stuff in it. Keep up the good work!

RK47

Patron
Pretty much GG with all the talents you have at your disposal now. Cap more cities, BTW. This is how you gain noble ranks. By doing so, you will increase troop count of your officers - meaning Lu Bu with 10,000 troops soon. muahaha.

Gold

Augur
Patron
Dead State Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Im loving this LP, and grats on not being Dong Zhuo food.

Chapter 6: Reconstruction

eQlAg.jpg

I spend some time building troops in Shou Chun and Wan. Officers with high political abilities are on their way to Lu Jiang and Jian Ye, which still need serious development. I also take the time to recruit some of Dong Zhuo's remaining prisoners. I normally wouldn't take a picture of the whole screen, but it felt so weird not having any enemies around Wan that I sort of had to.

V4FXw.jpg

Remember how last time Tao Qian sent troops all the way down to Lu Jiang and then back up north again without actually doing anything? He's at it again. Go for it.

5p1tR.png

Hu Zhen, one of Dong Zhuo's generals, escapes my prison but I don't even care. He's awful.

Cyryt.png

Guo Jia wants me to attack Zhang Lu's city of Shang Yong to my immediate west. It only has 5,000 soldiers but it's a bit soon. I still need to rebuild after Dong Zhuo's assault and sending troops away would leave us vulnerable. Dong Zhuo still has 80,000 men in the immediate area.

6sFjz.jpg

In the north, Yuan Shao is attacking Gongsun Zan's capital of Bei Ping. He has no chance of winning. I guess this means Yuan Shao will be the main regional power and may end up being the last guy we fight. At the same time, Han Fu is attacking one of Liu Dai's forts. That guy just can't get a break.

H35zG.png

It's been about two months since we beat back Dong Zhuo. Nothing significant has happened since and it feels good! The rebuilding process is going well, although money is tight in Wan. Shou Chun and Lu Jiang are fully developed now but Jian Ye will still take some time.

VfUQG.png

Hua Xiong recruits his former comrade Li Tong, a fine spear and cavalry general.

BGZCb.png

The development continues and Guo Jia recruits Xun You, another prisoner and Xun Yu's nephew. He's got great stats and his acquisition simultaneously weakens Dong Zhuo and gives us another weapon to counter him.

Y5uhz.jpg

Awesome. We get 5,000 horses every time Ma Teng produces them. Tao Qian continues his bizarre pilgrimage and Gongsun Zan's Bei Ping falls to Yuan Shao. In the south, Liu Yan conquers Jian Ning. His forces are spread thin and he doesn't have many officers. You'd imagine that because Liu Yan is so far away from the main action and has so many cities that he'd be able to grow strong quickly, but he just doesn't have the resources or manpower to do it.

Sk0cV.png

Huang Zhong recruits Zhang Song, one of Liu Zhang's advisors and a man who plotted to overthrow Liu Bei before he conquered Shu. He was also Mr. Potato Head's great great grandfather.

ZeZbJ.png

Another month of development passes and we've made significant progress in Jian Ye. We now have a total of over 70,000 troops and I'm beginning to feel confident enough to either push south against Liu Biao or take back Xu Chang from Dong Zhuo. Two of my cities, Jian Ye and Lu Jiang, have increased harvests.

j7Der.png

I send an envoy to Cao Cao to ask if he'll help in taking back Xu Chang. By "help in taking back Xu Chang", I mean "throw everything you have against Xu Chang to weaken yourself and Dong Zhuo".

YqMBP.png

Cao Cao is unfamiliar with the term.

qc6lG.png

But accepts!

tqibT.png

Cao Cao makes good on his word and sends out Cao Hong with a troop of 5,000. That's kind of disappointing. I have no problem if Cao Cao wants to throw 5,000 troops away. I was just hoping he'd want to throw away more.

X6OGG.jpg

It looks like Tao Qian's troops have finally reached their destination. After an epic journey spanning about 2/3rds the length of the Grand Canal, Tao Qian has heavily fortified Hu Lin, some obscure port in the middle of nowhere. Enjoy Shitburg, Tao Qian!

hOohz.jpg

What the heck is this! This is one of most insane things I've ever seen! Kong Zhou, the guy whose lands we passed through to get to Shou Chun, is attacking Xin Ye, the city to our immediate south. I've never seen Kong Zhou do anything! On top of this being totally unprecedented, this is also an excellent opportunity to expand. Kong Zhou clearly won't win this fight, but he will weaken himself and Liu Biao. I'll swoop down with a couple of my cavalry generals when the fight is almost over and take Xin Ye for myself. Thanks Kong Zhou!

VFMFY.jpg

Liu Bei has ended his alliance with Liu Dai and is gunning for Pu Yang. Han Fu is attacking Dun Qiu, the fort right outside the city and I wouldn't be surprised if Cao Cao joins in on the action soon too. It's almost over for the poor guy. He didn't recruit a single officer the whole game. Even Kong Zhou recruited a few!

o2nMf.jpg

Kong Zhou is really sending everything he has to this fight. I'll have to get there faster than I originally thought.

yimQQ.png

It's been four months since the battle of Wan ended. I'm building up rapidly, but Dong Zhuo is also getting stronger - mostly in the northwest in areas that aren't near me. I'd like it if anyone other than myself fought him, but that's not going to happen.

YKPt3.jpg

I've completed research of "Drill Cavalry", the first step on the cavalry tech line. It increases the base stats of my cavalry units, making them even more effective.

cHR7r.png

This is the tech screen. It displays a list of all the various technologies I can research. There are a lot I'd eventually like to get to, like Veteran Troops, which increases a unit's max will by 20, and Train Engineers, which regenerates damaged buildings' HP every turn. For now, I'm going to research Horse Breeding, which increases the distance a cavalry unit can move in a single turn. Researching technologies takes two things: money and TP. TP, or tech points, are gained from doing everything. That is, every single thing you can do earns you a small amount of TP. The amount of TP I have is listed on the main screen under Yuan Shu's name. After researching Horse Breeding, I'll have 1086 TP.

uojir.jpg

I send Gao Shun and Lu Bu down to Xin Ye. It'll take them two more turns to reach it. It's hard to believe, but Kong Zhou is actually winning this fight. I leave quite a few soldiers and generals back at Wan in case Dong Zhuo tries to take advantage of my diminished troop levels.

VlcJj.jpg

This is getting intense! Liu Biao himself is fighting Kong Zhou now, leaving the city undefended. There's a good chance Kong Zhou might actually take the city. If this happens, I'll take Liu Biao's port of Hu Yang and park the soldiers there for a while.

65tV0.jpg

Meanwhile, Liu Bei and Han Fu attack Liu Dai's city of Pu Yang at the same time. It's not a question of if Liu Dai will fall, but who will get the city. It also looks like Pang De, one of Ma Teng's best generals, has joined Han Fu. I don't know for sure, but big things may be in store for Han Fu. I hope Yuan Shao spends his time fighting crumby idiot Gongsun Zan instead of gobbling up Liu Bei and Han Fu.

e90K7.jpg

I was right - Dong Zhuo thinks he can win Wan while Lu Bu isn't home. Unfortunately for him, Huang Zhong, Hua Xiong, Ji Ling and Guo Jia are. The unit he's sending, though, Zhang Liao, is a serious customer - arguably better than Lu Bu - and we'll need to be careful. I think we can hold out - even with Lu Bu and Gao Shun gone, Wan still has 30,000 soldiers.

FEVg8.jpg

Gao Shun and Lu Bu deal massive damage to Liu Biao's unit but aren't able to make it to Xin Ye. Kong Zhou will probably take the city on his turn. If only we'd sent the units one turn sooner! On a strange note, it looks like Tao Qian has broken his alliance with Liu Dai now too.

jQA0q.jpg

More troops head towards Wan. This is starting to look bad so I'm going to send Gao Shun back up. Amazingly, Kong Zhou didn't capture the city. His last unit could have captured Xin Ye, but instead chose to attack Liu Biao's tiny unit that only had 18 men left.

mWOZO.jpg

Lu Bu easily steals Xin Ye from Kong Zhou's grasp. Sorry pal! I brought some gold, food and a few officers with him to start development, but I'm going to send him back to Wan as soon as I can.

wIGxz.jpg

Horse Breeding research finishes, increasing the maximum movement of my cavalry. It also looks like Xin Ye only has 10 total development plots. What a terrible city! Dong Cheng draws closer to Wan. It turns out Xu Huang and Zhang Liao were building fortifications around their cities, not actually charging toward Wan. This will make the coming battle considerably easier.

TxD3Q.png

Han Fu captures Liu Dai's city. Something crazy might be happening!

59Ol3.jpg

I send Lu Bu and Hua Xiong east to deal with Zhu Jun. Lu Bu uses a breach tactic, which drives his unit through Zhu Jun. Hua Xiong comes around and traps him. Gao Shun returns from the south and attacks Dong Cheng while Huang Zhong attacks from the other side with a charge cavalry tactic. The charge does impressive damage and automatically forces Dong Cheng into a duel.

YmR5d.png

The difference between Huang Zhong and Dong Cheng's warfare stat is so great that Huang Zhong automatically takes him out in one hit before the duel even begins.

tMrg3.png

Welcome to prison, Dong Cheng. With their commander captured, his army of 6,500 men completely disperses. That takes care of the western front.

vWaiP.jpg

In the east, Hua Xiong and Lu Bu continue to obliterate Zhu Jun. It's no contest. More soldiers are coming down from Luo Yang and Chang An now, including Zhang Liao. I'm not worried.

ITwFM.png

An envoy from Tao Qian. I knew this was coming...

Mmpqe.png

Tao Qian has been moving troops to the city of Wu, directly east of Jian Ye, for the past few months. He clearly recognizes the value of the biggest city in eastern China and wants it. I knew he'd break the alliance soon, but I had hoped it would be later. Right now, only about 12,000 men are garrisoned in the city. Ma Chao, Ma Teng and Xun Yu were also placed there in case this happened.

C0Lx0.png

We'll meet on the battlefield, Tao Qian!

zsY9T.jpg

Back in Wan, Guo Jia successfully manages to confuse Zhang Liao, allowing Gao Shun, Huang Zhong and Ji Ling to barrage him with tactics. I'd never really used pikes before but I'm pretty impressed with them! Huang Zhong has a bunch of versatile tactics that can hit multiple units. He also has a very high base defense with pikes. Maybe I'll develop some pike techs once I'm done with horses. On the eastern front, Lu Bu and Li Tong beat the hell out of Zhu Jun some more. Hua Xiong returns to Wan.

RiHuv.jpg

Wait, why would Tao Qian declare war on me when he only has 9,000 troops in Wu? He is literally moving troops out of Wu right now. What is this? This is maybe the worst strategy ever.

zNECZ.jpg

I capture Liu Qi, a spy trying to incite riots, outside of Jian Ye. Liu Qi is Liu Biao's son and heir. We may be able to play this to our advantage.

9COeI.png

Yi Ji in Jian Ye discovers Zhang Ying, a decent spear general, but fails to recruit him. Oh well. Back on the battlefield, Lu Bu and Li Tong defeat Zhu Jun and return to Wan while Gao Shun, Huang Zhong and Ji Ling beat up Zhang Liao even more.

BDdMQ.png

Xun Yu discovers an officer named Zhou Tai in Lu Jiang. He seems reluctant to join but Xun Yu tries to persuade him otherwise.

09p6R.jpg

The difference in intelligence is huge. This debate will be over quickly.

d01BW.jpg

It is, but today Xun Yu isn't feeling merciful.

W5cea.jpg

Xun Yu does some serious finger pointing at Zhou Tai. Lightning strikes him from above and demolishes his pillar, sending him spiraling through the air. Then Xun Yu says "You're not as good as you think." What a dick. Zhou Tai is an excellent naval and pike officer and one of Wu's most capable and notable generals. I'd show you his stats but he's actually been weakened by Xun Yu's extreme dickishness.

5IZM7.jpg

I receive word that Liu Biao is sending an army of 7,000 to Xin Ye. That is such an absurdly bad idea, Liu Biao.

FsLyU.png

Xu Rong, the general leading an army of 10,000 soldiers from Luo Yang, has low loyalty and Guo Jia says Xun You will be successful in recruiting him.

N5WVY.png

He is! Dong Zhuo's loss is my gain. I not only get another good cavalry general, but I get 5,000 of his 10,000 soldiers as well. Gao Shun and Ji Ling finish off Zhang Liao but fail to capture him. The rest return to Wan. I send a convoy and a few officers down to Xin Ye to help with the defense.

umnpR.png

Liu Biao comes personally to request the return of his son. He offers 1,500 gold. We accept. I also recruit a few more officers, mostly filler characters. Now that I think about it, maybe it's not the most appropriate time to ask for your son back while you attack me.

e7RXJ.jpg

It takes him a while, but Cai Mao finally reaches Xin Ye. He's no match for Gao Shun and Hua Xiong.

2pTsC.jpg

Tao Qian sends an army of 6,000 towards Shou Chun from Xiao Pei. Shou Chun currently has 30,000 soldiers. When we defeat Sun Guan, I'll send a group up to capture the city. Meanwhile, Gao Shun and Hua Xiong continue to attack Cai Mao, dropping his unit to under 2,000 soldiers.

lNhG2.png

On March 1st of 193, Han Fu dies of illness.

mqTBh.png

Pan Feng declares himself Han Fu's successor. Several of Han Fu's former officers, including Zhang He, one of his most important, resign. This seriously upsets the momentum he had built up after conquering Liu Dai. Meanwhile, Liu Biao sends more troops to attack Xin Ye.

argLG.png

And what do you know, it's Liu Dai! Tough break, you're about to get crushed again. This leaves Xiang Yang seriously weakened and very easy to capture. If things go well in Xin Ye, I might be able to lead a counterattack. Why do my enemies keep throwing opportunities in my lap? Meanwhile, Hua Xiong and Gao Shun finish off Cai Mao in Xin Ye.

eOTep.jpg

It looks like Kong Zhou is leading a crazy attack on Dong Zhuo's Xu Chang. This time it will definitely fail, but it will leave both a little weaker and will leave Kong Zhou's Ru Nan exposed.

wko97.jpg

On top of that, Zhang Lu's Shang Yong, the city to my west, has only 5,000 soldiers. All these opportunities for expansion - what am I going to do with myself!

LnHr2.png

Gao Shun and Hua Xiong attack Hu Yang, the port right next to Xin Ye. I want to intercept Liu Dai on the way to Liu Biao's Xiang Yang. It also looks like Sun Guan's turned back. Maybe Tao Qian has realized it's a bad idea to attack a city with only one unit.

duV5Y.png

Well, we've come to a fork in the road. We've quadrupled in troop strength in a little over a year and finally have enough soldiers to begin invading. The question is where.

fRIQD.jpg

Tao Qian's Xiao Pei, just north of our Shou Chun, seems like a good target. They have half the amount of troops Shou Chun does and attacking from Shou Chun won't leave us exposed, because Kong Zhou is our ally.

hqrcf.jpg

We could attack Tao Qian's Wu from Jian Ye. Ma Teng and Ma Chao are already stationed there with a huge garrison of horses.

rQ0in.jpg

We could attack Zhang Lu's Shang Yong from Wan. This could leave us open to attack in Wan, but it also wouldn't take many soldiers to attack Shang Yong either.

OCR65.jpg

We could join Kong Zhou and take back Xu Chang from Dong Zhuo. This would eliminate an entire front from Wan, but it would leave Wan exposed in the process. Luo Yang and Chang An both have about 25,000 troops, so we'd need to be careful. Conversely, we could break our alliance with Kong Zhou and attack Ru Nan, uniting the eastern and western portions of our holdings. I'd feel kind of bad about this, though.

SbAzw.jpg

Lastly, we could attack Liu Biao's Xin Ye, his capital and the largest city in the area. This would deny it from Sun Jian, who will soon come into conflict with Liu Biao.

jZiBR.png

This is the current map of China. Sun Jian and Yuan Shao are growing quickly. Liu Bei has broken his alliance with Pan Feng and there's a good chance he'll take Ye. There are few unclaimed cities left, but it might make sense to get the last in the southeast before Sun Jian gets it. Whatever we do, we need to make sure that we have enough good generals on standby that we can manage an attack from Dong Zhuo.

XenomorphII

Prophet
I say break the alliance with Kong Zhou, take Ru Nan, then assault Xu Chang from the east after launching a diversionary attack from Wan to lure out the best defenders.

Also I am noticing a few differences between this and the PS2 version (which is what I have) and it is making me want to get it. Do you happen to know what all was changed?

I say break the alliance with Kong Zhou, take Ru Nan, then assault Xu Chang from the east after launching a diversionary attack from Wan to lure out the best defenders.

Also I am noticing a few differences between this and the PS2 version (which is what I have) and it is making me want to get it. Do you happen to know what all was changed?
I think the only real difference is the interface. Romance of the Three Kingdoms 11 is one of those rare games where they actually optimized the interface for both consoles and computers instead of just porting one or the other.

Hey, I'm really glad people like the way I'm doing this. I've never actually even read an LP before, but I'm skimming some of the stuff here to get an idea of how I can improve. I thought it would be fun to share a game that not a lot of people are familiar with. I'm trying to keep it fairly simple, at least for now, so people who haven't played can figure out all the different mechanics. I also want to present it in a way that people can understand why I do the things I do.

Chapter 7 - Expansion

kPNxK.jpg

The first thing I do is capture Hu Yang, Liu Biao's port south of my town of Xin Ye. I have other plans for now, so I'm not going to continue marching south, but you know who might be really useful to have around in the area?

zTLSq.png

Zhou Tai, the officer Xun Yu debated a month or so ago. He's the best naval general I have and if I plan on going south, I'll have to cross the Yangtze. His stats, although good, are a little underwhelming at the moment. He's still young, though, and as he matures his stats will also increase. That's a pretty neat feature about this game - officers stats can increase or decrease over time. Zhou Tai hasn't reached his peak potential yet, while characters like Xu Rong and Ma Teng, who are in their late 40s, are starting to lose stats. It's not much, but it's an interesting feature. I move Zhou Tai to Xin Ye in preparation for an attack.

FIYci.jpg

Hou Cheng, Xun Yu and Yan Jun leave Lu Jiang with a small army and 2,000 gold. They're heading toward Chai Sang, the last of the unclaimed cities in southeast China. I thought about it and this is probably the best thing I can do right now. It will deny the city from Liu Biao and Sun Jian. It's also a real pain to conquer. I'd rather get it now while it's free than have to fight an awful battle for it later.

7XoQS.png

I'm starting to run low on officers, so Guo Jia searches Wan and finds Gan Ning. He's a great general and one of Wu's best, but he fails to hire him. I hope I'm able to get him before someone else does.

hZRjG.png

Yep. It looks like Gan Ning admires brawn more than brains. He'll be another great asset in the push south. He's a pretty great general all around - all of his skills are A-ranked or above and his leadership, intelligence and warfare, which are all high, will continue to grow as he matures.

Uyzpi.jpg

Lu Bu, Xu Rong and Ji Ling head north from Shou Chun with an army of horsemen. They'll crush Sun Guan and take Tao Qian's Xiao Pei. I think Xiao Pei is the best city to attack now for a couple of reasons. First, Shou Chun isn't vulnerable to attack. Second, Xiao Pei borders Tao Qian's capital of Xia Pi, another very large city with good economic bonuses. Last, it's immediately east of Cao Cao. Right before he died, Han Fu broke his alliance with Cao Cao. I think Cao Cao will likely attack Pan Feng's city of Pu Yang soon. That is our time to strike.

DdGvu.jpg

Lu Bu attacks Sun Guan's with a charge tactic. Sun Guan is killed in the attack and his unit disperses. That kind of stinks, I was hoping to capture Sun Guan! He's a decent cavalry general.

SnIpP.jpg

Hua Xiong and Gao Shun captured the port of Hu Yang, cutting off Liu Dai's entrance to Xin Yi. He heads west, presumably to take the free port of Fang Ying.

IeRiw.jpg

Lu Bu's party draws closer to Xiao Pei, taking out a small army led by Cao Bao.

7xRGU.jpg

Gao Shun, Hua Xiong and newcomer Gan Ning all lead armies out towards Zhang Lu's Shang Yong. Shang Yong is a good city to attack because it requires the smallest investment out of all our potential targets. The masochist in me secretly wants Dong Zhuo to attack Wan again - the defense of Wan was one of the best battles I've ever fought.

bEMC3.jpg

Lu Bu's forces arrive in Xiao Pei and deal heavy damage to the city's troops.

aLzmD.jpg

Meanwhile, Hou Cheng's unit arrives in Chai Sang. It's adjacent to Sun Jian, but we still have friendly relations with him so we'll have plenty of time to develop.

bUclE.jpg

Actually, it looks like Sun Jian had the same idea we did. We might have gotten here just in the nick of time.

voSrk.png

Whoa, an envoy from Kong Zhou!

kopNX.png

I thought he was going to tell me our alliance was over.

FwxiK.png

He wants us to attack Wu Gate and he's giving us 1,735 gold to do it. Wu Gate is a tiny gate to our northwest with only 4,000 soldiers. It's too far away for him to send reinforcements in time and we would have had to attack it sooner or later anyway. I accept. I send out Huang Zhong with a troop of 6,000 pikemen. He's controlled by the AI, but I know he'll win.

HXFX5.jpg

It looks like Liu Dai didn't abandon his attack on Xin Ye, he just decided to take an absurdly long route to get there. Hua Xiong meets up with him just outside of Shang Yong. I'm glad Liu Biao continued his attack - Liu Dai's army is about 15% of his total troop reserve.

0eI9l.jpg

Lu Bu continues his attack on Xiao Pei. He uses a simultaneous attack - all three units attack at the same time, which deals extra damage and minimizes the amount of damage we take.

ZsSKd.png

I have too many cities and not enough AP to manage them all. I delegate authority of Lu Jiang to Li Feng. Once Lu Bu captures Xiao Pei, I'll also give him authority of Shou Chun.

ZnCrg.jpg

Liu Dai gets beaten some more by Hua Xiong's party. I'm starting to feel really bad for him. He's like one of those entrepreneurs who starts a million businesses but fails every time. Lu Bu's group continues to assault Xiao Pei. The walls are at less than half strength now. We capture the city if the wall strength falls to 0, regardless of the remaining troops left.

A2VBn.png

An envoy from the emperor arrives, appointing Yuan Shu to the rank of general. Now we can raise the ranks of our officers even higher, allowing them to command more troops in battle.

MOIpv.png

Gan Ning captures Liu Dai and we throw him in prison. Sorry pal. Lu Bu's group continues to attack Xiao Pei, bringing down the walls even further.

mYO31.jpg

Just west of Xiao Pei, Pan Feng attempts to attack Cao Cao's Chen Liu. Pan Feng sends out all of his worst officers - why would you use these guys when you have Pang De and Zhao Yun? He's going to get crushed badly. To the north, Liu Bei attacks Pan Feng's poorly guarded city of Ye. He'll be gone in a few months.

UaK0J.jpg

The attacks on Shang Yong and Xiao Pei are both going well. The same can't be said for Pan Feng, though. His troops near Chen Liu are getting destroyed.

m8Bxe.png

Yi Ji successfully manages to recruit Liu Ye, a Wei strategist. This is especially good because we're starting to run low on officers - we'll need to recruit more soon if we want to continue our expansion.

D9rjH.jpg

Xiao Pei falls and Lu Bu moves in. He has several thousand gold and a number of domestic officers with him so rebuilding can begin immediately. We'll need to work fast if we want to capitalize off of the turmoil between Pan Feng and Cao Cao. Tao Qian can wait.

XWXRO.png

Hou Cheng recruits Lu Meng, another of Wu's most famous generals and the man who captured Guan Yu and the Jing province from Liu Bei. For a period of time, Lu Meng was actually Wu's head strategist. There's an event you can trigger that increases all of Lu's stats by lot, but I'm not sure how to trigger it so for now he'll have to remain a decent naval general.

bnrLp.jpg

Gan Ning captures Zhang Lu's Shang Yong. The only resistance we even faced in Shang Yong was Liu Biao. Zhang Lu is sandwiched in between Liu Yan, Dong Zhuo and me. I get the feeling we won't be seeing much more of Zhang Lu in the future.

PefLH.jpg

Remember how I said Tao Qian can wait? I've changed my mind. Under Ma Teng's direction, Jian Ye has grown into my largest and most profitable city. I send out 20,000 troops from Jian Ye, led by Ma Teng, to capture Tao Qian's Wu. This will be the first combat action for Ma Chao and Ma Teng under Yuan Shu.

M262B.jpg

Even though Zhang Lu never did anything with Shang Yong - even develop any land - he's not happy about its loss. He sends out 11,000 men, leaving his city of Han Zhong open to attack from Dong Zhuo or Liu Yan.

UNEXm.jpg

Huang Zhong finally captures Wu Gate as per Kong Zhou's request. Although it's not major, it represents the first solid gain we've made against Dong Zhuo. Another nice thing is that gates and ports generate money and food monthly. If we ever start running low on either, we can send a unit to one of them bring some back.

q8KVv.png

We receive yet another title from Emperor Xian. Nobody even has enough deeds to receive the titles we've already been given.

ORNWd.jpg

Tao Qian brings out a small unit of 3,000 led by Lu Dai (not Liu Dai!) but Ma Chao and Ma Teng make quick work of him.

X5tvb.png

Li Yan captures him and throws him in prison. In the west, Zhang Lu sends yet another army to Shang Yong. This leaves his city of Han Zhong with only 8,000 defenders. I'm almost positive Dong Zhuo will attack him now.

2giEr.png

We capture Zang Ba, Tao Qian's best military general, trying to spread rumors outside of Chai Sang. Hopefully this will make our conquest of Tao Qian even easier.

v520O.jpg

Ma Teng's group attacks Wu. I don't expect Tao Qian to send out anymore troops.

oN62c.png

It also looks like Tao Qian is currently ill. There's a good chance he'll die soon and when he does, some of his officers may leave.

9BDEA.jpg

Hua Xiong and Gao Shun ride out to meet the first wave of Zhang Lu's army. Hua Xiong charges into Yang Ren, killing nearly 2,000 while Gao Shun and Guo Jia confuse Wu Ban.

rhTsI.jpg

Hua Xiong and Gao Shun continue to fight Zhang Lu's forces. Zhang Gu, the second wave of attacks, gets in range of attack.

hztHB.jpg

Tao Qian sends Chen Deng with 7,000 troops towards our newly conquered city of Xiao Pei. Chen Deng is a good general and Xiao Pei only has 11,000 troops. However, the cities we delegated earlier are sending 6,000 reinforcements to Xiao Pei and Lu Bu is stationed there. This is a threat we can overcome.

rC4bm.jpg

It looks like this is it for Kong Zhou. Dong Zhuo sends 21,000 men, led by Xu Huang, to Kong Zhou's Ru Nan from Xu Chang. Xu Chang is still too heavily fortified to attack, but this might be the opportunity we need to take Ru Nan. After Dong Zhuo takes it from Kong Zhou, we could swoop in and grab it in its weakened state. I start reinforcing troops in neighboring Xin Ye.

hr452.png

We also hit the 200,000 troop mark. We now have only 10,000 less men than Dong Zhuo and that could very likely change after we take Ru Nan.

FC6Bi.png

Dong Zhuo sends Zhang Liao to Wu Gate. I don't want to give it up so I send Huang Zhong, Xun You and Xu Zhu to deal with it. Maybe he'll want to settle this with a duel?

u1qqS.jpg

Liu Biao also sends up another unit from Xiang Yang. I send out Zhou Tai from Xin Ye to intercept him in the river.

kF1vo.jpg

Lu Bu and Du Ji leave Xiao Pei with a troop of 7,000 to counter Chen Deng. They deal tremendous damage. You can't see it in the picture, but Lei Bo's convoy unit is almost in Xiao Pei.

2nd2b.png

Gao Shun in Shang Yong captures Zhang Lu's brother, leaving Wu Ban's army of 1,700 units Zhang Lu's only remaining force left. Zhang Lu has left than 10,000 men in his only city.

HjhW9.jpg

Huang Zhong gets close enough to Zhang Liao to shoot fire arrows at him, dealing about 1,250 casualties.

W7sT4.png

Xun Yu hires Tao Qian's Zang Ba, the officer who was caught trying to incite a revolt in Chai Sang. Zang Ba is a pretty neat guy who spent most of his military career as a bandit. He joined Lu Bu for a brief period, but surrendered to Cao Cao after Lu Bu was defeated and remained largely autonomous for quite a while. He's a good cavalry general and fits well in our cavalry focus.

uLC03.jpg

Xu Zhu challenges Zhang Liao to a duel and he accepts.

9v2Io.png

They start off trading blow for blow. Xu Zhu's war is 96 and Zhang Liao's is 93 - they're fairly evenly matched. Xun You is also in the unit and rides out to help. He'll get murdered if he stays for too long, but I'll let him take a few hits to build up spirit energy.

kfIUc.jpg

Shit! Zhang Liao immediately gains a full bar of spirit energy and does a second level spirit attack on Xun You, crippling him and greatly lowering his health. It's really hard to fight and take pictures at the same time!

ipsul.jpg

Xu Zhu returns to the fight and stays in defense mode to build up spirit energy.

CtEbz.png

The fight goes pretty badly but Xu Zhu manages to build up 3 full spirit bars.

jV6jd.jpg

Instead of performing a musou attack, I unleash three mortal blows, one after the other. Each mortal blow only costs one spirit bar.

wskI3.jpg

It doesn't defeat him and he immediately triggers a special attack.

Oaw9j.jpg

Two of Zhang Liao's attacks miss but one hits. Xu Zhu immediately triggers his defense stance after Zhang Liao's flurry. He blocks two hits, which raises his spirit bar enough to perform a mortal blow.

c5tJI.png

The mortal blow hits! Xu Zhu is victorious!

B3HKp.png

But Zhang Liao wasn't captured after the duel. Lots of Zhang Liao's men desert and Huang Zhong follows up with an incineration attack.

j1bOi.png

In Shang Yong, Gao Shun finishes off Wu Ban and captures him. As long as Zhang Lu isn't defeated by Dong Zhuo, we probably won't face any troops from Han Zhong for a while now, giving us time to finish up development.

anzXI.jpg

Lu Bu destroys Chen Deng's unit as he tries to flee back to Xia Pi. Development of Xiao Pei is nearly complete - we can begin drafting troops soon.

Oc5mx.jpg

Huang Zhong shoots more fire arrows at Zhang Liao after Xun You and Xu Zhu confuse him. I also notice something about Xun You - all of his strategies only cost 1 willpower. That's crazy! If we combine him with an officer that has even higher intelligence, we might be able to make a strategist unit that can use tactics nonstop with a 100% success rate.

5vABA.png

Huang Zhong shoots at Zhang Liao again and Xun You goes in for the kill, destroying the unit. Zhang Liao escapes once again. He must have a horse that prevents him from getting captured.

bkuvF.jpg

On the eastern front, Ma Chao finally captures Tao Qian's city of Wu. He takes Liu Yu, the warlord conquered by Yuan Shao in the opening months of the game, captive. This reduces Tao Qian to only 2 cities and about 50,000 troops, many of which are scattered all over an assortment of ports and bases he's captured. We'll really only be fighting half of that.

1kqHh.jpg

Tao Qian sends Ling Cao from Hui Ji to our newly conquered Wu in a desperate attempt to reclaim the city.

kUSGE.jpg

Zhou Tai and Qiao Rui shoot flaming arrows at Cai Mao south of Xin Ye. This is our first naval battle and Zhou Tai is doing very well.

1fpiW.jpg

Ma Chao and Ma Teng march out from Wu to deal with Ling Cao.

H3i3c.jpg

Liu Biao himself marches out from Xiang Yang to Xia Pi. He's a terrible military unit and he's making a big mistake. Cai Mao starts to retreat. Qiao Rui and Zhou Tai attack, but he has 100 units left and he'll probably make it back to Xiang Yang. In the east, Ma Teng and Ma Chao clash with Ling Cao, knocking him down to half strength before he can even attack.

EForU.jpg

My officers in Wan finally finish researching the horsebow cavalry tech, one of the best techs in the game. It allows cavalry units to fire bows at enemies from two hexes away and makes them that much more versatile. I also ransom back Zhang Gu to Zhang Lu for 1,600 gold.

ec3Al.jpg

The problems just keep adding up. Dong Zhuo sends troops out from Luo Yang to attack Wan Gate. Neither of them are good generals so they won't be too hard to deal with, but this seems like a good place to break for now.

deLQM.png

Here's the current map of China. In the north, Yuan Shao is attacking Gongsun Zan's last city of Xiang Ping. The fighting is pretty brutal and there have been a lot of casualties on both sides, but Yuan Shao will probably win. Liu Bei and Pan Feng have fought to a stalemate, with neither side gaining anything. They've both lost tens of thousands of troops and made themselves vulnerable to Yuan Shao.

Dong Zhuo continues to attack Kong Zhou and he'll fall in a turn or two. I'd like to attack from Xin Ye if I can quickly finish off Liu Biao's attack.

Sun Jian has expanded to four cities, but we've blocked him off from taking anymore free cities. He'll start fighting Liu Biao soon. We'll need to take Xiang Yang, Liu Biao's biggest and most important city, soon or else Sun Jian will get it.

Tao Qian is on the verge of collapse, both in the north and the south. We will be able to beat him very easily. Jian Ye is a huge city with a lot of gold and troops and I'll need to start transferring them to Wu so I can take Hui Ji in the south quickly.

Also, for the first time we have more troops than Dong Zhuo, though it's only by a few thousand. We need to recruit more troops in Wan to push back at Wu Gate, but it's difficult because I'm running low on officers. I think the big goal for the next chapter will be to find more men.

Tigranes

Arcane
Good show. Looks like you've expanded way too fast for the AI to keep up, though - rest of map has hardly changed apart from Sun Jian doing the obvious.

At this stage it might also be an idea to leave Liu Biao as a buffer, consolidate your current states (and a couple more), then go after Dong Zhuo's central provinces.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom