Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Revisiting Old Games (Again)

Machocruz

Arcane
Shit, one of the best ninja games too, Ninja Spirits. Undercover Cops, In the Hunt. Based developer.

Edit: I know Slug isn't technically an Irem game, but same talent pool

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
There are two arcade cabinets I cannot remember the names but I remember a few things. The first was some martial arts tournament game and one of your specials was The Dragonfly Kick Or was it Dragon Flying Kick. You spun in a circle kicking all around you.

The other game was an airplane schmup that took place in Tokyo I think. It was supposedly a high end game cabinet back then with near 3D effects and life like backgrounds. I think it might have been a version of 1942 or something but the backgrounds were pretty stellar for mid to late 1980s. Damn me if I can ever recall their names. It took me 30 years to remember the little game called Arabian where the first level is on a ship. I rather like those simple platformer games like donkey kong, dk jr, and maze games like pac-man, lady bug, mouse trap, pepper II, mr do series etc.

I recall three of us played the hell out of Forgotten Worlds and must’ve plugged $60 in quarters only to really get nowhere.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Just make sure to get a ball stick and a nicer button layout than the ones in the second video's thumbnail. I guess it's personal preference but I like Japanese style controls and actually these days just use a keyboard. The moon patrol cab OTOH looks good.

If I were ever to do this I think I'd just use a Sega astro city or Taito Egret and replace what's inside with a PC.
It seems he doesn't have ball tops. Said the good ones are hard to come by here in Brazil and he'd have to import it and they're too expensive(not to mention it would delay even more the delivery). Bat top will have to do, I guess.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
They're not super expensive. I got a Semitsu LS-32 for $40 or something. Also imported.
He said the good ones cost about 1300 BRL each(that's around $260) and the cheaper ones available are Chinese and not good. Dont know if he's speaking the truth but I'm not gonna insist. It's not a big deal for me anyway.

He told me if I wanted i could buy one of the cheaper ones and he'd install it for me but I'm not gonna bother. I'll let him do his thing.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
They're not super expensive. I got a Semitsu LS-32 for $40 or something. Also imported.
He said the good ones cost about 1300 BRL each(that's around $260) and the cheaper ones available are Chinese and not good. Dont know if he's speaking the truth but I'm not gonna insist. It's not a big deal for me anyway.
https://arcadeshock.com/products/seimitsu-ls-32-01-sc-joystick

https://www.austinamusements.com.au/products/seimitsu-joystick-ls-32-k-se

Jrpgfan

Erudite

I've seen those in that site. But like I said, I'm not gonna bother. I'll just let him do it the way he usually does.

Not to mention buying international stuff has been hell in Brazil lately(for quite some time tbh). It could take forever for that stick to arrive(if it does).

Jrpgfan

Erudite
It has always been hell in Brazil; why do ya think Sega master system and Genesis are still popular?
Sega and their representatives in Brazil(TecToy) did a much better job here than Nintendo, that's why. As a matter of fact, it's the same even today. Nintendo still doesn't give a shit about Brazil, which is why their consoles sell much less than Xbawks and Pollystation proportionately compared to other countries.

Btw, I'm making my Arcade with a Sega theme. I actually grew up playing Mega Drive and Master System so it's only fair. Not to mention the Sega logo is beautiful, much better than Nintendo's.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I have seriously considered looking for various Brazilian models after watching copious numbers of videos on the machines. It is truly amazing the support there. I wish ios would support more Sega Games tbh. Puzzle & RPGS would be pretty simple on iphone.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
I have seriously considered looking for various Brazilian models after watching copious numbers of videos on the machines. It is truly amazing the support there. I wish ios would support more Sega Games tbh. Puzzle & RPGS would be pretty simple on iphone.
I've owned two of them simultaneously at some point, a japanese and a brazilian model. At first I had only the japanese one, but the brazilian/american cartridges didn't work on them so I could only play the cartridges that my father bought for me when he went to Japan or São Paulo(we lived in a small town in Rio's countryside), so he decided to buy the brazilian model so I could play the ones I bought or rented at my town or nearby.

Jrpgfan

Erudite

Yo, I've got a question for ya. If I wanted, could I change only the sticks(batop) to the sanwa sticks by just connecting them to the zero delay board, or do I need to swap the whole thing(including buttons etc)? And would I need to change any setting within the software?

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
You should be able to just replace the stick without replacing anything else.

First try and take out the current stick. If it's using connectors to the PCB and you don't have to break any solder then you're good to go.

Falksi

Arcane
Apparently developing for the Sega Genesis is a thing nowadays:
Yeah, as Viata says, it's been around a while. Probably as many games coming out for the SEGA Genesis this year as there are for the PS4...

Even managed to nab myself a copy of Paprium a while back...

26WpFSp.jpg

Out of all the homebrews I've played, the best ones worth playing are:
  • Paprium
  • Tanzer
  • Xenocrisis
  • Demons of Asteborg
  • Life On Mars
  • The Cursed Knight
Some genuinely brilliant games there. Astebros and Cursed Knight 2 look good, but I've not played either yet.

Machocruz

Arcane
I would have flipped my shit over a Genesis Rondo of Blood back in the day. One of the few times I was envious of TG-16 library.

Reality

Learned
Thinking about trying battles of norghan, finding old threads about is almost always "sounds interesting into everyone forgetting to actually try it 4 months later"

For actual revisits I have been going through lumilines but I can't really score attack like I used too

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
I missed this thread back in the day. Lots of fun. Loved the MegaDrive reviews. From age 7 to 12, that was basically half of my gaming life, because I had an uncle and aunt living close by, my cousins were a bit older than me, and they had a MegaDrive. So that was just about the only console gaming I did for a long time.

They didn't have all the classics unfortunately. They did have:
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- The Simpsons: Bart's Nightmare
- Alex Kidd
- Altered Beast (I think, my memory is a bit foggy, but something like that)
- Michael Jackson: Pedo Simulator
- Super Hang-On (I couldn't git gud :( )
- Some Ayrton Senna-licensed Formula 1 game, forgot the name and CBA to look it up.
- F22 Interceptor (the manual explained how to cheat lol - my uncle said it was a piece of shit consoletard game and that I should try Flight Simulator on his PC)

Not all terrible, but I think I missed out on some good shit if this thread is anything to go by.

Machocruz

Arcane
Not all terrible, but I think I missed out on some good shit if this thread is anything to go by.
I think a lot of us did. I found out about so many Mega Drive games after the fact, because a lot of them didn't make it to stores near me. Same with SMS. I assume it was with NES and SNES as well, but the former at least seemed much more well stocked than any of the Sega consoles.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Is there a megadrive thread?
My top cart games:
Altered Beast
Fatal labyrinth
Starflight
Splatter house 3 then 2
Streets of rage trilogy
Phantasy Star 2-4
Populous
Batman returns
Golden axe 1-2

Those are the games i recall spending the most time on replaying so much. There are probably others I am forgetting.

Falksi

Arcane
Is there a megadrive thread?
My top cart games:
Altered Beast
Fatal labyrinth
Starflight
Splatter house 3 then 2
Streets of rage trilogy
Phantasy Star 2-4
Populous
Batman returns
Golden axe 1-2

Those are the games i recall spending the most time on replaying so much. There are probably others I am forgetting.
Fine choices! Great to see Starflight in there.

So, even though, I didn't log it all in here, I really dug deep into both Megadrive and SNES libraries, and the SEGA one was just bliss. Top tier gaming for almost every genre. My personal top 10 cart games would be:
  • Thunderforce 3
  • Hellfire
  • Star Control
  • Phantasy Star 4
  • Contra: Hard Corps
  • Revenge of Shinobi
  • Shining Force 2
  • Ghouls N' Ghosts
  • Bare Knuckle 3
  • Atomic Runner
Amazing that Golden Axe doesn't even make the cut, it's still one of my fave games ever and I play on it all the time with the wife. But the library is just SO good that cutting it down to 10 is almost impossible.

Machocruz

Arcane
The more I play of what most people think are "amazing" modern games, the more I want to either go back to my Genesis, PSX, or my PC game collection from the early 2000s, or quit entirely. They are playable incarnations of the "Wow It's Nothing" meme. I tried this RE2 Remake and it was completely devoid of style and character compared to the original; bland, boxy geometry and environmental design, boring color palette, not even impressive on a technical level. Yet it's considered top tier gaming in this day and age. GTFOHeeeeeeeeere!

And then (unrelated) I pondered that there are almost zero TPS that could be considered the 3D equivalent of Contras, Turricans, Gunstar Heroes, Metal Slugs, Mercs, Total Carnage, etc. I mean the total package: colorful, cool art; insane and varied boss designs, and lots of them; fast paced, skillful play; agile characters; rocking soundtracks, etc. Hack and Slash games have at least DMC, Bayo, Souls, GoW, Darksiders, Onimusha, etc. I don't know, maybe I have a blindspot and not seeing or remembering a bunch of great TPS. I think FPS have fared better in this regard.

Well anyways, I don't think the standard for game design is too high these days tbh, and what standards that are high vast majority ain't trying to reach.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom