Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Richard Bartle: "MMOs are for Newbies"

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
This is true. Like I said, it is not very newbie friendly, and if you do not live in the US, you will not meet many players. There are 30, 40 on AT PEAK TIMES. The best course of action is to join a guild (with strict entry requirements) to find other players. The only map I remember is in ASCII and only for the main city state, Allanak, which is where most players are.

Oh, and yes, it is impossible to tell NPCs from PCs. This I consider a good feature, actually. The game even has a think command you can basically use to write your character's thoughts. (This is important for the DMs, but of course, no one but you and them can read that.)

Shoelip

Arbiter
It looks interesting, but it seems like it would be really easy for someone to just sit around ganking new characters as soon as they spawn.

It also seems like there would be allot of characters with amnesia whose players didn't want to read all the documentation. :)

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
You forget that this is an RP server. No one respawns. When you die, you die. Creating a new character takes time because you need to apply for each and every character. If your character's background does not hint at you having read and understood the background of the world, there is no chance he will be accepted. If your writing is too bad, he will not be accepted. If you dare to play a character with amnesia, you have to write this into the background and have to have a damn good reason for it.

ixg

Erudite
Well, I got accepted after sending it in last night, so I still have to play and see if I like it. So far, the strict "better know how to write" rules suit me fine. Plenty of stuff to read also.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
For this Armageddon MUD, when you say "better know how to write" do we have to respond in paragraphs for our actions and/or talking or just one or two lines suffice?

That mantis race does look interesting though.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Know how to write does not mean "always write ten lines". The greatest writers manage to say much using few words. The mantis race, and mages, and many other classes are only available to great roleplayers and as such will not be selectable for a newcomer.

Example of how it might look:

[Refer to the website for examples.]

Shoelip

Arbiter
Jasede said:
You forget that this is an RP server. No one respawns. When you die, you die. Creating a new character takes time because you need to apply for each and every character. If your character's background does not hint at you having read and understood the background of the world, there is no chance he will be accepted. If your writing is too bad, he will not be accepted. If you dare to play a character with amnesia, you have to write this into the background and have to have a damn good reason for it.

Note that I didn't say respawn, I said spawn, as in for the first time. So what keeps one player from ganking every newbie as soon as they first appear?

Oh yeah, I did read allot of the background information on the game but my background didn't hint that I had done so, and I even forgot to add goals I still got accepted. I guess they were going easy on me because I've never played. :D So off to Allanak and hopefully not to my imediate doom.

Edit: So I played a while and wondered around until I found the bazaar, tried to buy scrab meat but instead bough a scrab leg, finally figured out how to use the numbers to buy stuff and wondered around looking for a waterskin. Then I lost my connection. It was definately confusing, but it looks like I may figure it out eventually.

kenney bounces

Liturgist
I agree with most of what the author wrote up until the point where he declared perma-death and non-instancing as superior gameplay mechanics for the long term.

It's superior only if the gamer has 8 hours to play everyday.

It's not if you're targetting a "normal" population that has to work/school and plans on having a family.

Nedrah

Erudite
That's the problem with modern gaming really. The developers have to keep the "normal guy" in mind if they want to make any money at all. No wonder games were an entirely different beast when the games would be produced for the game-geeks and web-nerds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom