Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News RIP Wizardry co-creator Andrew Greenberg

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Andrew C. Greenberg

https://x.com/David_Mullich/status/1829574742686548110

I am saddened to learn of the passing of game designer Andrew Greenberg. I never had the pleasure of meeting Andrew in person, but his landmark role-playing game series Wizardry was a joyful and influential part of my life in the 1980s. Rest in peace, Werdna!​

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Also if anyone is interested, the guy who reported on Andrew's death is David Mullich who worked on Heroes of Might and Magic III. He even made it into the game.

h3_knight_sir_mullich.jpg

This was his ingame description:

Generally stoic, Sir Mullich is prone to spasmodic fits of uncoordinated excitement believed to intimidate his troops into working faster.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ouch, this is sad. Though the early Wizardry games weren't my initial cRPG of choice back in the '80s (Ultima & DM were), I came around quickly and saw the importance, no, genius of his games. This hits like a gut punch just as when I learned Jim Henson had passed. The greats keep falling with seemingly few new ones to take their place... :negative:

getter77

Augur
Tremendously, perilously few of the formative eldest figures left by now---with each instance of this I am compelled to hope that this will be the one to awaken the industry proper that they can't continue to take them all for granted as the entire scene is still incredibly fledgling given we are only talking about roots in the 80's here by and large, but contact with reality has dismayed me time and again despite.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Also if anyone is interested, the guy who reported on Andrew's death is David Mullich who worked on Heroes of Might and Magic III. He even made it into the game.

h3_knight_sir_mullich.jpg

This was his ingame description:

Generally stoic, Sir Mullich is prone to spasmodic fits of uncoordinated excitement believed to intimidate his troops into working faster.

I think Mullich is a kindred spirit to Shenk the Overseer in D2: Lord of Destruction.

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Rest in peace, Andrew. Yours was the very first computer roleplaying game I had the pleasure of playing on my brand-new Apple ][+ in 1981. At one point, when it was just you and Robert, my dad actually called you guys because of a bug we found in the program. I believe it was you yourself who answered the call and thanked us for reporting it.

May you always roll 20s in the afterlife.

sser

Arcane
Developer
RIP. I finally got around to playing (about 60%+ through) Wizardry a few months ago. It's genuinely impressive that the game is still playable and enjoyable, and that people could make such things with virtually no real outside influence. I wonder how the Japanese are discussing his passing as Wizardry's had crazy influence on their side of game making.

roguefrog

Liturgist
I read somewhere Greenberg and Woodhead were both developing a CRPG for the PLATO computer system independently at first, but then decided to joined forces, and Greenberg was already way ahead of Woodhead. It sounds like he was the pointman. RIP.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/games/rpg/a...influential-wizardry-series-of-rpgs-has-died/

Andrew C. Greenberg, co-creator of the influential Wizardry series of RPGs, has died​

Wizardry was huge in the 1980s, and helped define both Western and Japanese RPGs as we know them.

Andrew C. Greenberg, co-creator of the foundational Wizardry series of RPGs, has died at the age of 67. The news was shared to Facebook by his collaborator on Wizardry, Robert Woodhead, and also to Twitter by developer and game design professor David Mullich.

It's hard to overstate Greenberg and Woodhead's influence on RPGs and PC gaming. Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord was one of the first recognizable RPGs you could play on a home computer, a translation of tabletop RPGs and the games developed for the mighty PLATO mainframes present on college campuses at the time to the humble Apple II.

Wizardry was among the first⁠—if not the very first⁠—RPGs to give you control of an entire party of characters, each with distinct strengths and weaknesses. Wizardry tasked players with exploring a sprawling, wireframe labyrinth in first person, always on the lookout for secret doors, traps, and challenging enemies. At the bottom of the dungeon, players would find the titular "Mad Overlord" Werdna⁠—Andrew spelled backwards. Greenberg seems to have carried the playful moniker with him long after leaving the games industry, using it for a personal email and the username of a YouTube channel he used to document the development of a bowling scorecard program.

Wizardry and the competing Ultima series would prove immensely popular throughout the 1980s, with Wizardry and its sequels getting ports to the major personal computers of the era like the Commodore 64 and MS DOS PCs. One surprising outcome was Wizardrys' influence in Japan, where it has had an even more enduring popularity and inspired the invention of the JRPG as we know it. Dragon Quest creator Yuji Horii has long cited Wizardry as a primary inspiration, and in a 2022 tweet about meeting Robert Woodhead for the first time, Horii wrote, "When I think back, it all started 40 years ago when I got really into Wizardry."

After co-creating the Star Saga games in 1988 and '89, Greenberg ultimately left the games industry to practice law, first focusing on intellectual property law in Florida before becoming the general counsel of renewable energy company Xslent. However, an archived snapshot of Greenberg's personal website, as well as his YouTube channel, show that he never abandoned his interest in computer programming. According to a letter from Greenberg shared to a Wizardry fan site in 1999, he married Wizardry playtester Sheila McDonald, and they had two children together.

Andrew Greenberg left the games industry a very long time ago, but his influence can still be felt in everything from Baldur's Gate to Persona. You can experience Greenberg's work on Wizardry more directly via Digital Eclipse's recent remaster of the first game, which took input from the Wizardry's creators, and also includes a picture-in-picture view of the original's 1-bit graphics.

mondblut

Arcane
Can we now have a D.W. Bradley Wizardry 8 from Sir-Tech?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom