Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Risen runs without misfires

A user named cat

After some quick testing, it seems the shadows are the main culprit in performance. Actually, they seem to be the only thing that makes the game run poorly. Unfortunately it looks like undetailed shit with them disabled but you get a huge frame rate boost. They really need to optimize how shadows work or something with a patch.

A user named cat

Seems you have the exact same problems I have then. Yeah that audio looping is irritating, how could they screw up something so simple? I don't know if it's the game engine or the sound samples, maybe I'll look into the .pak files and see if I can find the ambient tracks.

As for shadows, I took some comparison shots. At low, the game runs so much better but like mentioned, it brightens things up. People can judge for themselves if the big performance hit is worth it. For those with higher end video cards, this might not apply:

Low 1 --

High 1 --

Low 2 --

High 2 --

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
JarlFrank said:
There are only 2 female models. There are much less females in the game than males.
Pyranha Bytes are very
16htbi1.png

Phantasmal said:
After some quick testing, it seems the shadows are the main culprit in performance. Actually, they seem to be the only thing that makes the game run poorly.

That always seems to be the case for me in any game. I keep shadows off by default.

Phantasmal said:
As for shadows, I took some comparison shots. At low, the game runs so much better but like mentioned, it brightens things up. People can judge for themselves if the big performance hit is worth it. For those with higher end video cards, this might not apply:

they all look the same :?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom