Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen - This stuff is hilarious!

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
Oh man, it's worse than I feared. Have a look at new screenshots that for the first time were not made by PB but an independant mag:

http://www.pcgames.de/aid,693573/Ri...tity_id=-1&image_id=1182226&page=1&order=#top

Look especially at no 5: Bad character propotions (and someone complaint about Drakensang's tits, FFS), HDR-mania, fake looking textures, too many jaggys for a resolution this high (and Risen has no AA function), bad art direction.

Do these guys think they can honestly compete in today's market with such a game?

Adding to this PB bad track record on bugs and stability ....

Yeah, Risen will be the $hit.

Abraxas

Scholar
Patron
Codex 2012 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
They look good enough for me, except that girl, which does not have the same level of quality.
Is number 7 smoking a king-sized joint? It surely looks like it.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Nope, skyway would give the game a tiny chance and if it didn't meet his nigh un-meetable standards he'd declare it shit. This is Brennus hating on PB. Which I personally have no problem with. He can hate whatever he wants. I just find it ridiculous because I still remember all the crap aRPGs he's mentioned playing and liking. *shrug*

DriacKin

Arbiter
Nah. Skyway isn't that much of a graphics whore.
He might've criticized the graphics a bit, but he wouldn't have made an entire post about it.

Morkar Left

The woman looks weird compared to the rest of the game and the hands are as big as the heads. Could be definitely better but nothing to be worried for me. Gameplay is the reason I play games, not graphics. If I want graphics I watch a movie or go *shrug* out of the house...

bat_boro

Arcane
Hey, look!
It's that guy criticizing Pb's game for being a Pb game!
Who would have guessed?

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
Morkar said:
The woman looks weird compared to the rest of the game and the hands are as big as the heads. Could be definitely better but nothing to be worried for me. Gameplay is the reason I play games, not graphics. If I want graphics I watch a movie or go *shrug* out of the house...

Yes and that's the reason everybody in the Codex forums criticised Two Worlds for too much HDR (which could be deactivated anyway), plastic looking characters and everything that I mentioned about Risen.

Codex, be honest to yourself: You like to kiss PB's ass (for what I reasons I cannot imagine) and like to diss honest game makers like Reality Pump or Spellbound.

Noone discusses positve developments in Arcania, especially that the overbright colors are removed, there are no more MMO looking UI elements, every hand holding feature can be deactivated etc.

Most Codexers are biased in favour of PB and tend to overlook any mistakes they make.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
It's subtle, Risen looks darker and more atmospheric than Two Worlds, which looked like Disney.

MetalCraze

Arcane
The screenshots actually do look pretty bad, but not because of game's graphics (although PB should tone down the oversaturated HDR) - but why did that journalist constantly try to make screenshots of the characters, placing the camera in pretty bad angles (up to having PC covering half of the screen), not trying to make a screenshot of anything else?
Gaming journalist job is probably the easiest one out there.

Kraszu

Prophet
The environment looks better then characters, could be better but I am fine with that. I don't care about having hot bitches in tha game.

Morkar Left

Sir_Brennus said:
Yes and that's the reason everybody in the Codex forums criticised Two Worlds for too much HDR (which could be deactivated anyway), plastic looking characters and everything that I mentioned about Risen.

I like Two Worlds as an action rpg, not as a serious rpg. Gothic 3 wasn´t that bad and had the potential to become a real masterpiece rpg. It was just the usual case with 3D games: too much time spend on the graphics which means not enough time for content and bugfixing. Really good 3D rpg´s aren´t economical. That´s why we can get only action-rpgs or cinematic slide-shows...

PB was always able to create natural dialogue, non-levelscaling world-design and a world which is not big but fun to explore.

Sir_Brennus said:
Oh man, it's worse than I feared. Have a look at new screenshots that for the first time were not made by PB but an independant mag:

http://www.pcgames.de/aid,693573/Ri...tity_id=-1&image_id=1182226&page=1&order=#top

Look especially at no 5: Bad character propotions (and someone complaint about Drakensang's tits, FFS), HDR-mania, fake looking textures, too many jaggys for a resolution this high (and Risen has no AA function), bad art direction.

Do these guys think they can honestly compete in today's market with such a game?

Adding to this PB bad track record on bugs and stability ....

Yeah, Risen will be the $hit.

Since when was graphics important? Seriously, it's passable - it isn't ASCII, and frankly after that I don't give a shit. And I was even able to forgive ASCII for my ADOM addiction a few years back. Pls post gameplay next time you make your case for a game being shit.

bat_boro

Arcane
Sir_Brennus, I think you're not quite right about Two Worlds - I think a lot of codexers actually liked some parts of the game, but at the time of release, the game was even more bugged than Gothic 3 (with the exception of offering better performance)

Now I actually liked that game very much, as it kind of reminded me of Gothic in some way (exploration)
And there were some cool ideas as well - such as the cool (on theory) magic system and the stacking system and the faction system. It's just that this game too would've benefited from some polishing time - now why don't you admit that, instead of pointing your finger at Pb for releasing buggy games (which they do, but that's not the point)

Plus I think Two Worlds: Temptation is going to be a great game, as I believe this guys have actually learned a thing or two after releasing TW. Plus my favourite game composer is going to work on the OST - Borislav Slavov, of Knights of Honor and Gothic 3 fame

Lothers

Scholar
Don't you think that "hilarious" is a little exaggeration? F3 was hilarious but not that shit... It's just funny.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sir_Brennus said:
BAWWWWWW PIRANHA BYTES RAPED MY GIRLFRIEND, KILLED MY DOG AND STOLE MY WALLET BAWWWWWWWWW THAT'S WHY ALL OF THEIR GAMES SUCK AND EVERY SINGLE FLAW THEY HAVE IS WORTH A NEW THREAD BAWWWWWW

Deleted member 7219

Speaking as one of the Codexers who thought VD's review of Gothic 3 was fair (he was right when he said it was a 'flawed gem', there's some great stuff there even though the game is sub-par overall), I'm not automatically writing off Risen just because its another Pirahna Bytes game.

If PB learned its lessons from Gothic 3, then Risen could be very good. That's not to say I'm impressed with what I've seen so far. The screenshots are incredibly bloomy and don't show much other than the character and a few monsters, and the latest gameplay videos are just shit. All this "You can pick up sticks" nonsense and conversations in German... come on, they could have at least done a few demos in English and taken us into a town to show a few quests.

Nedrah

Erudite
Matt7895 said:
conversations in German... come on, they could have at least done a few demos in English and taken us into a town to show a few quests.

Remind me to complain about that next time a North American Developer releases a pre-release trailer without offering a German version.

Anyways, I think the screens look "ok" - apart from that woman, they seriously need to fix that model.

Black Cat

Magister
Not only does that girl looks strangely formed but an awful fashion sense she has, too. A skin bandeau, really? With a long skirt? And did she hurt neck and collarbone trying to hunt whatever beast was victimized to made her top so ugly or is that necklace supossed to be her choice? Oh, right, but she has boobs. Enough said, i guess.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom