Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rome Total War II

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Please don't suck.

Please don't suck.

Please don't suck.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Game is coming out by the end of 2013, will probably be delayed to early 2014 as usual. Then you have to wait ~1 year for patches to make it worthwhile, so I won't play it till 2015 probably. Should suffice to finish Empire and Medieval 2 in the meanwhile.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Lord knows I had to wait months for Empire to get even relatively playable, and even then I still need a mod to iron out alot of game-breaking bugs.
Remember one siege that I should've won handily which wound up a pyrrhic victory on my side because my mortars god stuck and refused to deploy and my line infantry rowed up in bizarre zig-zags and refused to fire until I rearranged each of them manually.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Still liked the original Shogun best. All subsequent TW games have just muddled the beautiful purity of murderous geometry with too many units that were slight variations on each other. Not to mention CA used to be BROs about mods and conversions but now they're total jews.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Empire killed CA for me. Napoleon only sealed that deal. And then the fuckers had to go and make Shogun II and give me an inkling of hope again.

And while I enjoyed the original Shogun a lot, Medieval was for me the absolute best. Especially with the awesome Viking Invasion expansion. Setting, atmosphere, diversity and gameplay mechanics just worked all together. Plus it's the only TW where your faction could fall apart in a massive civil war when your king died. Played that one for years.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Shogun 2's tactical phase was utter shit but the strategic play is probably the best in the series since Rome 1. I kinda wish they never derailed from the old way of Shogun 1 and Med 1 province sections ala 'Risk' mode though because it fit the game better.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Game is coming out by the end of 2013, will probably be delayed to early 2014 as usual. Then you have to wait ~1 year for patches to make it worthwhile, so I won't play it till 2015 probably. Should suffice to finish Empire and Medieval 2 in the meanwhile.

How do you "finish" a TW game?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I kinda wish they never derailed from the old way of Shogun 1 and Med 1 province sections ala 'Risk' mode though because it fit the game better.

Part of me has that as well but in truth I did very much enjoy the tactical part of Rome 1. It wasn't too overburdoned or simplified to suck and it's only real letdown was the retarded AI. Plus I loved the fact that battles took place in an area relevant to where it was on the campaign map, with correct roads, distant fleets, terrain, nearby towns and even smouldering vulcanoes on the horizon.

EDIT: People have been playing around with the Rome AI for ages now btw and the different exes for the Rome expansions BI and Alexander also have their own quirks. Alexander's AI they found was vastly improved compared to the vanilla game. Shame CA never released a patch to bring the improvements over to the base game. Did any modders improve CAI or incorporated those exe files by now?

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

How do you "finish" a TW game?

By conquering the whole campaign map, no?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
And then you can play another faction, and then another and another, and then you might retry your first faction with a different approach etc...

And then M2 also has tons of solid to great mods that are worth playing.

Kukulkan

Learned
Video Impressions: Game graphics and the tactical map look nice. I'm glad to see that they've really upped the ante when it comes to city sizes coupled with the multiple capture point system. Not so stoked about all this talk of adding emotions and shit to the soldiers. Voice acting really rubbed me the wrong way, it's like listening to a bunch of inferior Brian Blessed clones. Too bad the video doesn't tell us anything about the campaign or battle AI's quality.

ironyuri

Video impressions: groan. Saving Private Ryan. groan. Dark, gritty, bring the player down into the action. groan. Romans storming beaches. groan.

why. why why why why.

Monocause

Arcane
Yeah, cause it's easier to bitch about VAs and PR fluff than notice the tactical overwiew or the fully destructible environment that can be hazardous to both sides in city battles, or that Roman troops look much less hollywoodish than in the first game. Seeing the drawing on the wall makes me think that CA got inspired by the HBO Rome series, which would be really good.

These additions, coupled with some Shogun's solutions, would make it a good addition to the TW series and a nice update on Rome - provided, of course, that they don't fuck up the AI which is unfortunately quite likely.

Got some kicks from the video too. The "interactions" are likely to provide much hilarity, like the officer yelling "we fight for Rome!" while his troops totally ignore him, or the stalwart and moronic centurion (or decurion?) who tells people to be steady in face of charging elephants instead of ordering dispersal. Also, there might be some funny stuff if they play along with the character traits influencing such interactions. I really liked the pre-fight speeches in the first game until I knew them all and they got old.

titus

Arcane
Patron
"we got things like blah blah blah... emotional interactions between men... blah blah blah"
inb4 bromanceable legates:M

spectre

Arcane
The scale on that trailer is pretty impressive, although I'm not sure if I can stomach an hour long siege battle, total war style with no saving.
From what I've seen, it looks like a standard total war thing, not many new shits added, so here's hoping that they wont try to "fix" it too much.

Design wise, I think they had it wrong when he said they don't want the player to control the battle from the map view. I realize that they want the player to see all the "emotional interactions", and it would be sad indeed if all the facial anim technology went to waste... but I think they'll soon realize that you can't have your cake and eat it.
If it's a fucking strategy game, sorry mang, I want to zoom out and have a full overview of the battlefield. Watching legionaries holding their dicks on full zoom takes second seat to that, because it's essentially a gimmick. I can dig that, but when there's time. If I could issue commands from the map view, I could make some free time to enjoy gimmicks.

I wonder if they'll make it work. I sense a spectacular trainwreck if they try to push the cinematics in the player's face too much. Best case scenario, all that facial animation budget will simply go to waste as players will simply ignore it.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Those "Emotional Interactions" have already proved to be key market words that people find very alluring, even though such nonsense, when overfocused, actually hurts the gameplay.

I'm hoping all that stuff is just hype and marketing and not a huge gimmick that's gonna ruin everything.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Previous TW games also hyped up the ANIMATIONS. Sometimes I watch the fights up close when the battle is happening and there's currently no orders I need to issue. They didn't get in the way of gameplay. Except maybe that some units were more effective due to shorter combat animations.

spectre

Arcane
Well, unsurprisingly everything said on that video is an obvious marketing blurb, it even has the right keywords: cinematic experience, visceral, immersive, al that mandatory crap.
I'd trust what you can see rather than what's said. (And it doesn't seem that much has changed with regards to the classic engine features except from disembarking from boats and the ability to bombard the shore) - at least from the pre-alpha build.
If they have any sense left in them, it would be something like the mocap swordfigtan animations and bloodsplatters from Shogun 2 - you won't even know it's there unless you zoom in looking for it.

kris

Arcane
I think their released video would have been better without the commentary. What they show of the game looks pretty good overall, but hearing him say retarded things about pointless "features" is mindnumbing. who the fuck plays a wargame for "emotional engagement"? Something that won't be present in this anyway. Otherwise it is just talk about visuals and yadda yadda. we can see the visual you dork.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom