Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview RPG Codex Interview: Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden 2 (Soon on Kickstarter)

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The previous iteration is the game that made me think : "Sometimes, indie games do not suck." for the very first time.

Looking forward to this.

St. Toxic

Arcane
If you get there too late, a town might get destroyed unless you intervene. Content constantly opens and closes depending on the in-game time and if you miss something, it's gone for good.

:bro:

Repressed Homosexual
Well, I'm pleased RPG Codex hasn't lynched me for making an ARPG yet. Hope I'm not speaking too soon.

Haha, there are exceptions, but I'd say the ability to control more than one guy in an RPG adds way, way more complexity and strategy. I mean, it's probably the #1 requested feature for Age of Decadence. We're still working on the systems, everything is still very early, but I think what we've got is very solid!

We're being extremely careful. We've talked to lawyers and everything and so far we've been given the clear. We're going to continue to be really careful, but like Pope Amole II said, this is an entirely different game and the original Barkley was actually made under a completely different company, or rather, Tales of Game's didn't exist as a federally recognized business entity at that time and also wasn't afforded the same legal rights we have now.

That's more comforting, then.

I was about to say, maybe there should be a lawyer stretch goal...

I must say I never knew all this time that it was a game designed by a Codexer, though it doesn't surprise me because in spite of the sheer craziness of the game, there still lied elements suggesting that the author knew a thing or two about game design.

I think there was also a Wu Tang Clan roguelike project that never went anywhere, right?

I'll surely pledge for this, but the other thing I wonder is about the meta elements, which I'm usually not fond of. The first game was basically one bit meta joke from beginning to end, will this aspect be reduced in the sequel, or at least be more subtle?

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
If you get there too late, a town might get destroyed unless you intervene. Content constantly opens and closes depending on the in-game time and if you miss something, it's gone for good.

:bro:
I think of all the things we're doing with this game, this is what I'm most excited about. This isn't just an occasional feature, this is something the entire game is built around. The big idea behind Barkley is that everyone's game is different and everyone has different experiences - we want there to be things that only the tiny handful of people who were in the right place at the right time see and this is the backbone behind it. It means a lot more work but it's something few games have seriously explored and I think it's worth it.

That's more comforting, then.

I was about to say, maybe there should be a lawyer stretch goal...

I must say I never knew all this time that it was a game designed by a Codexer, though it doesn't surprise me because in spite of the sheer craziness of the game, there still lied elements suggesting that the author knew a thing or two about game design.

I think there was also a Wu Tang Clan roguelike project that never went anywhere, right?

I'll surely pledge for this, but the other thing I wonder is about the meta elements, which I'm usually not fond of. The first game was basically one bit meta joke from beginning to end, will this aspect be reduced in the sequel, or at least be more subtle?
Haha welllllllllllllll...

Yeah, the Wu Tang roguelike was a game we made for a 2 week contest. It was awful and wasn't even supposed to get out or anything but somehow it ended up on Kotaku. My pal GZ, who worked on the original Barkley, is working on a remake that I also contributed to but I'm not sure when it will come out.

BUT I think the meta elements are what makes Barkley different from everything else. I don't really like "jokes", and you'll notice if you go back and play Barkley again that it wasn't funny because the characters were out there telling snappy one-liners, but because it remained consistent to the premise and never blinked an eye. This game is definitely a lot more subtle than the original Barkley, we are much better writers all around now, but the "meta", if we are referring to the same thing, is what makes Barkley what it is.

Project: Eternity
I just now watched video on the ToG site for the first Barkley Saga, and as one who appreciates esoteric 90's Americana (Amerikwana?), you had me at "Ecto-Cooler." Also, I had the original Shut Up and Jam for Genesis, and it was surprisingly enjoyable for a celebrity-endorsed console game. I'm probably a closeted racist, since I always picked that white guy with the long hair and really high "dunk" stat (Wildman or Wildchild or something was his name?).

I digress. I looked for a paypal donation link on your site, to no avail. So, just know that I would shake your hand and buy you an eight-pack of Ecto-Coolers were I able to.

My tolerance for jRPGs is astronomically low nowadays (which sucks, since I was weened on them), but I must play this game. Know in advance that you shall have my patronage for your KS campaign.

:salute:

LusciousPear

Savant
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I found Bark I to be incredibly Poignant For What It Is. Great dialogue, and just plain memorable. Even the combat system had a few bits of fun.

A+++ will kickstart

Project: Eternity
Ok, I'm giving it a whirl; I'm not very far in, but this game is definitely making me grin.

I have to say, however, that I think there was a missed comedic opportunity; Muggsy Bogues's sarcophagus should have been pint-sized.

Murk

Arcane
The first game was (in my opinion) to Serious RPGs what Trollhunter was to Movies. It was a low-fi, low-budget attempt at making something by people who understand and love the genre, and it blew the competition out of the fucking water. It did not overreach, it did not have delusional grandeur or stupid promises of the Greatest Story Ever Told, instead it just presented a game that was fun, interesting, novel, and had great fucking writing.

I think the part were Wilford Brimley sacrificed himself for me made me stop playing, pick up my phone, and spam everyone I knew to get the game.

Ok, enough gushing. Rock on.

St. Toxic

Arcane
I think of all the things we're doing with this game, this is what I'm most excited about. This isn't just an occasional feature, this is something the entire game is built around. The big idea behind Barkley is that everyone's game is different and everyone has different experiences - we want there to be things that only the tiny handful of people who were in the right place at the right time see and this is the backbone behind it. It means a lot more work but it's something few games have seriously explored and I think it's worth it.

Too few games and designers have the balls to incorporate a realistic time-element in their worlds, for fear of driving people away by reminding them that their lives are short, limited ordeals and that there are more important things out there than mere games for sperg-kids. But without the sense of urgency, the feeling of being simply another cog in a machine greater than yourself, the world shrinks until it's just a toy, fit only for the amusement of infants.

In short, I'm looking forward to seeing what you'll do with it.

Also, how is Gaiden pronounced? I remember having an argument about it with a friend some time ago. He would say Guy-den and I opted for Gay-den, though they probably mean much the same anyhow.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
cboyardee, now I understand why you were looking up all that old Japanese game art styles and graphics (From that "Era of games we never got to see" thread). Man, you really do your research for your games, even for one single element of it.

It is mindboggling, that even a lone indie release requires one to draw the best inspirations from hundreds of other titles. Suddenly, even low key game development seems rather intimidating.

Dogi

Novice
The timed event system sounds similiar to the ER/BR systems in Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song and The Last Remnant. If you can execute them in a way like those games, then you'll be doing something great. At least as long as it's not in your best interest to skip regular fights as often as possible to do as many quests as possible like in both for better stats/jewels/rewards.

St. Toxic

Arcane
The timed event system sounds similiar to the ER/BR systems in Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song and The Last Remnant.

How did TLR do it? I remember trying it briefly for the combat, but can't recall anything like that in there.

deuxhero

Arcane
He would say Guy-den and I opted for Gay-den, though they probably mean much the same anyhow.

Your friend is right. There's actually a video of Itagaki (or at least someone prominent on the Xbox NG team) telling people to stop being idiots somewhere.

Admittedly, the group that made Shut up and Jam Gaiden has a (n intentionally?) misspelled name and the title is meant to be audacious, so who knows.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
The timed event system sounds similiar to the ER/BR systems in Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song and The Last Remnant. If you can execute them in a way like those games, then you'll be doing something great. At least as long as it's not in your best interest to skip regular fights as often as possible to do as many quests as possible like in both for better stats/jewels/rewards.
Yes, these are the two games we're looking at as models for this. We're doing it pretty differently, but the base idea of how we're doing it (by linking the passing of time to something other than actual time) came from these games. I don't think you can overstate the influence these two games have had on Barkley 2!

The timed event system sounds similiar to the ER/BR systems in Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song and The Last Remnant.

How did TLR do it? I remember trying it briefly for the combat, but can't recall anything like that in there.
Last Remnant was really, really bad but it had a few neat ideas and one of them was that over time, the world would open up, quests would change, content would open (or lock out) and characters would disappear or appear. I think it happened at certain points in the main story, but the fact that huge sections of the game (that are completely unrelated to the main story and are optional) would open and close at certain points was very cool.

Also I have no idea how to pronounce Gaiden. I've always pronounced it guy-den but who knows.

cboyardee, now I understand why you were looking up all that old Japanese game art styles and graphics (From that "Era of games we never got to see" thread). Man, you really do your research for your games, even for one single element of it.

It is mindboggling, that even a lone indie release requires one to draw the best inspirations from hundreds of other titles. Suddenly, even low key game development seems rather intimidating.
Yeah, there have been many times where I sent artists those pictures (or pictures I didn't post) as references.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Tell it to the judge, because the jury is out.
icon_google.gif

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I really like the way time was done in Ephemeral Phantasia. It's considered by many to be horrible, which is sad to me, since I loved it so much. Anyone here play it? The puzzles were harder than hell, and it had a guitar hero mini game all the way back in 2001. The graphics were a little outdated and the camera stunk, but otherwise I have no idea why that game got pissed on so much. Sorry for going a bit off topic, but the whole time thing strongly reminded me of it.

Dogi

Novice
Most people who've tried EF never managed to recruit any party members, or even figured out you could. I think it's just the game being too open for their tastes. Same reason many SaGa games don't have fans/get shit on by the general populace. I like games where I can replay them and craft a completely different party, or use the same party but make them completely different than I did before, that and the openness are why I love those games. EF has like 18 party members, SaGa have 7-20 or more and you can always use them differently. Like my last Frontier game I used Amelia as a martial artist (which she is amazingly good at, almost as good as Liza) She had DSC and Corkscrew about halfway through.

Also cboyardee, if you haven't tried TLR on PC you may want to, it's better in almost every way over the 360 version. Unless you hated the core gameplay you'd probably enjoy that version more. I know I did

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I must be the only person here who just can't play the first game. I've tried on three separate occasions. It just pewters out as soon as you have to fight. And there's too much talking.

Yeah.

The music was nice though.

You know, too much talking and too much fighting- that in itself is a pretty good parody of a jRPG. My friend is playing FF 7 (I HATE THAT GAME) right now and it's giving me a headache just hearing it in the background. Though there's one good thing to it: Aeris is about to die.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's good because the bitch is finally dead and I can derive some small satisfaction from shitty characters dying, even if it's handled about as well as when a Parkinson-disease victim tries his shaky hand at engraving.

Rpgsaurus Rex

Cuchulainn = Ballos?

571086-ballos_steam.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom