Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview RPG Codex Interview: Corey Cole on Quest for Glory and Hero-U (Now on Kickstarter!)

majestik12

Arcane
Corey Cole: In a word – budget. Adventure games died because they didn't sell enough copies to justify their continually growing budgets. If we raise our minimum of $400,0000 on Kickstarter, that will leave about $300,000 for the project budget after Kickstarter fees and reward tier premiums. That's about what the first 16-color EGA Hero's Quest cost to develop. Quest for Glory 4 cost about $750,000, not including about $2 million spent on developing Sierra's SCI engine. QG5 cost about $4 million to develop. We don't think we can raise that kind of budget for an indie game.

Just wondering: then why are other adventure veterans usually asking for aroung 400k for their comeback projects?

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
It was fun finding my way on the labyrinth tho, it did gave me the sense of being lost in a dumb north-african city. I'm not asking for a quest marker, but a quest reminder/journal in some NPCs wouldn't hurt. The writing is not as clever to engage me, I'm an avid reader and this scripts are what in a book would put me off after a couple tens of pages, but I hoped to parse the McGuffin from the dialogues.

And yeah, I don't have that much time to play to figure out stuff instead of enjoying it :(

That's odd because most people hold that QFG2 in particular has some of the best writing in the series, in terms of the dialogue, puzzles and plot. Perhaps not being a native speaker is an issue, because a lot of the humor in QFG is based on wordplay, puns, homonyms and also pop culture references.

Part of the enjoyment of classic games was in figuring stuff out, and yknow, thinking about things. It's very different from the modern games you may be used to, where things have been greatly simplified for mass audiences.
I started with a Spectrum too, but I somehow spaced out many years because of language, owning slow computers, emulators and fighting games.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The QFG puzzles made much more sense than the puzzles in other Sierra adventures (partly because there were multiple solutions for the different classes).

More than that, they depended on abilities not classes, with a few, class exceptions along the way

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
pakoito
Buy the fucking map the trader advertized when you got out of the house the first time.

And ask him for directions noob.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
pakoito
Buy the fucking map the trader advertized when you got out of the house the first time.

And ask him for directions noob.
Fair enough :D I already asked for directions to get to the moneylender anyway.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Portal and Psychonauts are both platformers and only "adventure" games in the broadest of terms, and certainly not what someone means when they say adventure game.

Psychonauts is a pretty decent hybrid. Certainly more adventure game than Portal which isn't an adventure game in the slightest.
Wikipedia baby
An adventure game is a video game in which the player assumes the role of protagonist in an interactive story driven by exploration and puzzle-solving instead of physical challenge
Portal games totally qualify. Any minor physical challenge that existed in the first one was rightfully eliminated in the second.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Portal and Psychonauts are both platformers and only "adventure" games in the broadest of terms, and certainly not what someone means when they say adventure game.

Psychonauts is a pretty decent hybrid. Certainly more adventure game than Portal which isn't an adventure game in the slightest.
Wikipedia baby
An adventure game is a video game in which the player assumes the role of protagonist in an interactive story driven by exploration and puzzle-solving instead of physical challenge
Portal games totally qualify. Any minor physical challenge that existed in the first one was rightfully eliminated in the second.
Technically all video games are puzzle solving, and most have interactive stories, so any game that isn't explicitly about physical challenge is an adventure game!

PS:T is an adventure game
Fallout is an adventure game
Hell Fallout: New Vegas is an adventure game since VATS removes any physical challenge to that game
Doom on the easiest setting is an adventure game

This is fun.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Clicking on dialogue options isn't puzzle solving. :rpgcodex:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

Wikipedia baby

And role playing games are any games in which you play a role, amirite?!

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
They got $400,492 as of right now, with 5 hours to spare. Talk about making it by your fingernails.

I don't think barely making it was what they hoped for, but good job on making the goal.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
:excellent:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom