Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial RPG Codex Report: Divinity: Original Sin 2, or, A Visit to Larian Studios

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Playing coop is a good way to rope in someone to the genre; it's like an interactive tutorial. You can do all the heavy lifting and show them all the fun of exploiting synergies and thinky combat rather than X for awesome molerat killing.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Speaking of roping someone in with coop

CNsiM8kUsAEQIqc.jpg

Shin

Cipher
goons2.jpg

are these guys security or were they actually there for the 4 player co-op?

Ash_Firelord

Educated
This is the best video game interview / report I've read in.. years? There was info, there was lulz, there was general tomfoolery... Loved it! Well done.

gaussgunner

Arcane
--> walls of texts <--

Anybody actually had played the first game like this? Read everything, tried everything, explored and had fun for 70 hours in two player coop? How the fuck would you manage that?

I saw [a few minutes of] three guys doing that on youtube, or rather, two guys at their own computers watching the third one play Broken Age (just wondering what the fuck that's like). For 70 fucking hours. Unbelievable.

TBH the only games we play as groups of friends/couples nights/whatever are Mario Kart, Mario Party, that kind of silly stuff. CRPGs on a PC are the last thing that's gonna be playable with these kinds of groups and setups.

If they're young enough they'll play a CRPG together on a laptop every chance they get. Vogelware no less. I shit you not.

Liero in a DOSbox is about as good as it gets for the rest of us. Half-hour, maybe an hour of blowing each other up, local "coop" at its finest.

That sounds awesomely kinky

Great minds think alike. Local coop is out of the question but I could put THAT in my game. The wives, lol.

:updatedmytxt:

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
I dont know if there is someone who can pull off good coop is Larian. I pretty the singleplayer elements will remain there, I can expect a slightly more wordy DivOS.

Then again, Larian just wants to appease as much people as possible.

Last edited:

Saxon1974

Prophet
It's not "forced". The coin decides.
Ha OK. How about a writer just writing what character inspires them? That being said, the male writers saying they have a passion for writing strong female characters is interesting. I wonder if they are SJW's as well. I have no issues with strong female characters but I don't like when they have to force it like "see what great guys we are?!!!"

Ash_Firelord

Educated
Ha OK. How about a writer just writing what character inspires them? That being said, the male writers saying they have a passion for writing strong female characters is interesting. I wonder if they are SJW's as well. I have no issues with strong female characters but I don't like when they have to force it like "see what great guys we are?!!!"

But writers need to get laid too!

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Every time Swen is reviewing [our writing]

So I had to think about this part again.

Don't they have a lead writer to pass the writing by? I understand that Swen is the creative lead so its natural to pass the writing by him but it also seems an awful lot of work on top of the awful lot of work he already has. I'd understand it if it was the major building blocks of the story but in this regard its literally just a text about a drunken dwarf. I can't imagine that everytime they write something they have to let Swen check if its alright. I'd surely drive him mad (and them as well). I wonder how the writing process works in practice, in how far the writers have freedom to do what they want and in how far they are supervised by a lead writer or Swen himself.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
So I had to think about this part again.

Don't they have a lead writer to pass the writing by? I understand that Swen is the creative lead so its natural to pass the writing by him but it also seems an awful lot of work on top of the awful lot of work he already has. I'd understand it if it was the major building blocks of the story but in this regard its literally just a text about a drunken dwarf. I can't imagine that everytime they write something they have to let Swen check if its alright. I'd surely drive him mad (and them as well). I wonder how the writing process works in practice, in how far the writers have freedom to do what they want and in how far they are supervised by a lead writer or Swen himself.
Whatever the writing process is, it's clearly not working for them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom