Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: Knights of the Chalice 2 - Augury of Chaos

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Infinitron, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Tyranicon A Memory of Eternity Developer

Tyranicon
    Oh shit, it's dnd 5e.

^ Top  
  2. Tomas Barely Literate

Tomas
    Congratulation Infinitron on a spot on review and finishing the game. You did something I could not - it was the Spider Queen fight that ended me. I spent three weeks night after night trying to figure out how to get past it, but the combination of RNG, random crashes to desktop, unreliable summons, and just sheer overwhelming odds - total nightmare. If the game goes on Steam like this it will get crucified.

What I don't understand is why. Pierre does not strike me as a mean person who would get a laugh at players wiping out on the fights. There is not even a historical parallel, KOTC1 was fine, and I played and finished both Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale games on the highest difficulty (though if memory servers in the latter I had to scale up to it.). Today I am playing Fire Emblem Three Houses on Switch on MADDENING difficulty and I am doing fine. It is the first Fire Emblem game I have ever played, and yeah some scenarios I have to reload once or twice but I am enjoying the game. Also there are easier difficulties for more casual players.

So my humble opinion, the KOTC2 current difficulty can be kept as Maddening (or some kind of new game+), but the game needs a default normal difficulty that is playable and enjoyable by casual players, not just a few veteran masochists.

• what? x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Whisper Arcane Vatnik

Whisper

Like 99,9999% of games are perfectly playable for casuals/Bioware crowd.

Should we actully get few that are challenging?

• No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Tomas Barely Literate

Tomas
    Am totally ok with there being the challenging mode, but it can’t be the game’s default difficulty. Just from business perspective if you want the game to sell well and get good reviews it needs to be playable by casual players.

The game is really well designed when it comes to mechanics and rules implementations. There could be a lot more people enjoying playing it.

• decline decline x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Whisper Arcane Vatnik

Whisper
    What happens in reality: we get "easy", "normal" and "hard" difficulties.
    Easy being "left click your path to victory", normal being easy and hard being somewhat challenging if you dont have any clue about mechanics, never played before. Maybe a bit challenging.

So 1 really hard game out of 100 released maybe is not bad idea? Should it have easier difficulties? Why not. But developer shouldnt nerf it to dumb down to level of Bioware crowd.

^ Top  
  6. Whisper Arcane Vatnik

Whisper
    I am not blaming Bioware, if they dont sell many copies they wont be able to sustain so many hired people (and pax other costs). So if you have big team you are forced to dumb game down so it sells well.
    Good things dont attract popularity usually - we dont see crowds in jewelry stores. Basically we can expect good games only from small team or even 1-man teams. This is reality.

Projects from big studios is just glorified circurs or rollercoaster. Where they just entertain and do their best so game is beatable while player eats/watches TV and does his homework - all at same time. Thats why shallow mechanics, Skyrim-type "puzzles" solvable by 8-year olds in first seconds and etc.

So I support KoTC2 developer.
    In age of pussy developers who follow lowest common denominator - he has balls of steel. Not all can win campaign? Tough fucking luck.

As saying in olde days: git gud, scrubs.

^ Top  
  7. Jedi Master Radek Arcane

Jedi Master Radek
    Implying that overpriced minerals are things people don't buy just because those minerals are too good for them to understand their value.
    :)

• When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Whisper Arcane Vatnik

Whisper
    Implying that quality things (art, music, films, games) are not overcrowded.
    I am not snob, but i do state the obvious.

Popular games are rarely good, for several reasons. And Challening and deep games are usualy niche games. For several reasons, obvious ones.

^ Top  
  9. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    What exactly is git gud about reloading a save until your caster wins initiative and enemies lose saves against a save or suck spell?

Even a scrub is capable of that.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    [​IMG]

He's used to RUS)))) shovelware "difficulty". Actually I've been meaning to call this game on the level of russian shovelware when it comes to difficulty in the revio, but I never found a good place to fit it in.

• Funny x 5
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Jasede Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron Sad Loser

Jasede
    I'm so good at video games, I reloaded until my casters got to act before their casters! Woah, check it out, big dick RPG master coming in.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • sheeple sheeple x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    In our Pathfinder game last week, against the final boss of the AP book, my Barbarian rolled 3 natural 20s on his iterative attack and rolled above 15 (without mods) on all the crit confirm dice with a x3 weapon and took away about 90% of the monster's HP.

This clearly makes me a tactical genius.

Pierre would think so anyway.

Edit: Darth Canoli, there is no need to be upset. Just git gud and you'll be as good as me and Jasede

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
    • Shit Shit x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Darth Canoli i think you should finally check out chapter 4 and show us all how it's done

you can't just quit before getting to the best bits you know

• Funny Funny x 1
    • sheeple sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    He needs to git gud and practice his speed initiative rolling and reloading skills.

• butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Darth Canoli Magister

Darth Canoli
    I mostly hate completing games, let alone unfinished ones.
    Half the Codexers that played Wasteland 2 hates it, i only played the DC version (with some mods) and mostly enjoyed it, could have done without the tier weapons, waiting half an hour to pick a lock and a few other shenanigans but WL2>>>>>>>>>>>>PoE, PK and the likes.

I'm willing to wait for the right time to complete KotC 2 in order not to ruin the experience for myself.
    You kids who have no patience can go on ranting, i know this game will improve and some marvelous modules be created, such as Hearkenwold.

In the meantime, i prefer to give my full support to skilled indie devs rather than retarded teams creating dumbed down games for the masses.

And shame on you and Infinitard for publishing that review even before the official release, this is disgusting...

• /facepalm/ x 2
    • Peaceful protest x 1
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    keke-fucking-roni

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • sheeple sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Jasede Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron Sad Loser

Jasede
    Guys KOTC 2 is actually really easy if you git gud like me but I won't finish it because it's just too easy for me. I'm not sure what you guys are complaining about, hahaha Bethestards, bet you want an I win buttan and a quest compass.
    Morans!

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • sheeple sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Darth Canoli Magister

Darth Canoli
    What are you even doing here?
    Nothing to do until Assassin Creed sucks vampire's dicks is released?

^ Top  
  19. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    You got it wrong its Dark roxxor who played it , infinitron would have a severe allergic reaction as there's too much of rpg into it, but you may be a new codexer so you dont know. Infinitron is a mossad agent who fucked up during service,short story , he gave wrong intel the whole squad got killed, so he was demoted and transfered to media control department .But at the lowest place possible a job no one wants, RPGCODEX news poster.
    Second you are way off its not playable and enjoyable by just a few veteran masochists , if you know the rules and builds by heart, play d&d since the 80's its still unplayable and require winning iniative.

• "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Reminds me of Russian-made Thief fan missions, those always have bullshit "difficulty" that requires you to find tiny hidden switches with no hint on where to find them, include 1980s Sierra style inventory puzzles with no hints on how to do them, and often have some cruel objectives like making you fail the mission if you're ever spotted. And of course there are a ton of "walking dead" scenarios you can accidentally get yourself into.

WTF is it with Russkis and unfair difficulty?
    Soviet nostalgia? "Aaah yes, game so hard it remind me of life in glorious Soviet Union!"

• Funny Funny x 2
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    They do the same with their STALKER mods very often.

Ridiculous randomised hidden item hunts, exceptionally vague instructions and choices that can lead to story hard locks.

I even saw one Russian modder say once that avoiding a game breaking bug was part of the challenge, and he hadn't fixed the bug intentionally.

• Funny Funny x 6
    ^ Top  
  22. Jasede Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron Sad Loser

Jasede
    Well you wouldn't understand, obviously you only play Assassin's Creed and Hello Kitty Island Adventure unlike badass, well-respected Darth Canoli. Everyone admires him here because of his incredible RPG skill.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • How about this as a button How about this as a button x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    So incredible he ALMOST beat KOTC2, a feat no one else on the forum has managed.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Slam dunk! Slam dunk! x 1
    • sheeple sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Jasede Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron Sad Loser

Jasede
    Maybe he could give us peasants some tips?

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Darth Canoli Magister

Darth Canoli
    I thought i already did, oh wait, you'll have to search about them in both threads just like searching for in game information makes the game easier.

Oh well, looks like i thrown in some info after all ...

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.