Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex Top 70 PC RPGs (Now with User Reviews!)

A user named cat

Personally, I don't see the point in another "worst games" vote, to be honest - the results aren't going to be any different from the previous one and we really don't need another discussion on why Oblivion sucks.
We don't have a fancy "worst of" list, just this jolly good times lovefest full of glowing reviews on the front page. Basically our reputation of hatred and pure negativity is tarnished at the moment, it needs to be redeemed. Forget just having a generic list - I'd like to see reviews, pictures and even video footage of Codex members suffering through gameplay of such classics as Mistmare and vanilla Dungeon Lords.

Now that Grunker has voluntee.... wait what? Fuck, no way. I'm not doing it. My contributions to this place come in the form of stupid Photoshops, not busy work and keeping track of poll results.

set

Cipher
Why was 70 chosen?

What number would have to be given for Borderlands, ME2, DA2, Skyrim, Oblivion, et cetera to appear on the listing?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Why was 70 chosen?

What number would have to be given for Borderlands, ME2, DA2, Skyrim, Oblivion, et cetera to appear on the listing?

But seriously, the cutting point was 10 point on the voting. Bellow that things were too much of a mess, full of ties. Oblivion would never appear on the list; we had over 120 people that voted for over 250 RPGs voted for, and not a single vote for Oblivion nor Fallout 3.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Just scrolling through the list atm, looking at all the preeeetty screenshots.
derp_heureux_valentine_dans_lamour_meme_carte_postale-r4cf14814c5484ecb826c93b721ca6177_vgbaq_8byvr_324.jpg

Need to play more of them, lots of stuff I either didn't finish or even start in there...
Anyway, great job, guys and gals. :thumbsup:
And I love felipepepe's Mass Effect review. Hilarious, but also very true.

tindrli

Arcane
i allready installed Gothic 2 and just figure out that it doesnt need mouse...will try to see how it goes.. any suggestions?? and is there a possibility to play it on 1366x768??

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
i allready installed Gothic 2 and just figure out that it doesnt need mouse...will try to see how it goes.. any suggestions?? and is there a possibility to play it on 1366x768??
Yes there is, tweak the ini file, I think.
And nope, mouse is not needed at all.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
So if I planned on going through as many of these games as I can what order should I do it in? Should I go from first to last, vice versa or go from oldest to newest (or vice versa again I guess)?

Monty

Arcane
So if I planned on going through as many of these games as I can what order should I do it in? Should I go from first to last, vice versa or go from oldest to newest (or vice versa again I guess)?

Start with Wizardry IV and ask again when you've beaten it

:troll:

tindrli

Arcane
Yes there is, tweak the ini file, I think.
And nope, mouse is not needed at all.

thank you BROS!! will do

Crap, i just found this one??

http://theoldcamp.com/?page=blog&post=29

garren, bros, ??is this the last one?? it says 2.40 and 2.41 fix

tindrli

Arcane
is there anyone who is registered on this "oldcamp" forum??? .. the god damn thing does not allow download if not registered and for some reason it wont let me register.. giving me some weird SQL error

i did manage to download 2.41 fix coz some dude uploaded it on dropbox but i had no luck with 2.40.. BTW, i have gold gog version and im not sure if this will work anyway coz on World of gothic WOG forum there is a a separate Gothic II Gold: ICP v1.0a patch.. shit.. im confused now and i really want those updates before i start

tindrli

Arcane
i got it.. sorry for spaming i should have started new thread.. i got it.. its not 2.41 fix.. its entire patch with fix.. thank you all.. wil. try to play now

Nuclear Explosion

You don't need to use a mouse, but, IIRC, there are alternative control settings. The game plays much better if you use them.

Last edited by a moderator:

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
You don't need the mouse? Since when?
WASD, Ctrl, Alt and so on plus mouse look and left mouse button is the way to go, everything else is clunky bullshit.

And don't expect a cursor in the game. I swear, I'll grab the next dumbfuck who asks about the missing cursor in the Gothic games through the screen and strangle him to to humanity a favor.

Last edited:

A user named cat

I think this list is going to make me install and play Anachronox for the first time. Guess that's something.
I still want to finish Anachronox all these years later but it always gave me motion sickness, only ever made it about halfway through. Something about how the camera feels while looking around, like reading a book in a moving vehicle. Maybe my brain is weird and it's only me, just a warning. Really cool game otherwise.

Haraldur

Augur
Is Anachronox sufficiently non-linear that it is worth playing, rather than watching a Let's Play? A few years ago, I got perhaps 1/4 through, but I REALLY hate the combat system (if it was fully turn-based it would have been tolerable, but...) and would rather avoid slogging through the beginning again. Would a YouTube play-through cause me to miss anything important?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You don't need the mouse? Since when?
WASD, Ctrl, Alt and so on plus mouse look and left mouse button is the way to go, everything else is clunky bullshit.

And don't expect a cursor in the game. I swear, I'll grab the next dumbfuck who asks about the missing cursor in the Gothic games through the screen and strangle him to to humanity a favor.
Arrowkeys+Z, X, C works just as fine.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
You'll laugh but I only ever used the default Gothic 1 controls (even in 2), never touching the mouse. The game was written with them in mind and I never had a problem!

In fact, and this is important, they felt unusually tight and responsive for a PC game, which are typically more shoddily coded than more arcade-like games.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Is Anachronox sufficiently non-linear that it is worth playing, rather than watching a Let's Play? A few years ago, I got perhaps 1/4 through, but I REALLY hate the combat system (if it was fully turn-based it would have been tolerable, but...) and would rather avoid slogging through the beginning again. Would a YouTube play-through cause me to miss anything important?
No, and as JES says
arachronox is a game i really want to finish but i cant stand the turn based combat they used for it, yet i keep coming back, but only because of the setting and story. have you had a similar experience?
Honestly, no. When a game has bad game play, I stop playing it. I like good stories in games, but as seasoning, not the main course.

Zetor

Arcane
In fact, you could watch the Anachronox movie conversion (one of the first large-scale machinima that I know of) and only miss out on about 15% of the 'good stuff'.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom