Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Questions

Relayer71

Liturgist
Dark Individual said:
Relayer71 said:
Must Play: Wizardry 8, Fallout
Should Play: Fallout 2, Gothic 2, Kotor 2, Temple Of Elemental Evil, NWN 2 MOTB
You may want to play: Divine Divinity, VtM: Bloodlines
Don't Play: NWN's OC.
That's a pretty fail list. Wizardry 8 a must and Bloodlines 2 tiers down? Why on Earth is Wizardry 8 on that list anyway? The game requires a very specific taste and gets really old really fast for many, I imagine.

Wizardry is a great old school game, the last of it's kind, it's got great combat, decent story, good writing, good dialogue system, great skill system. The emphasis is on combat but the combat is fun (make sure to get the program that speeds up enemy movement - can't recall the name right now) and challenging.

They just don't make games like this anymore and I doubt they will which is why it is a MUST play especially if you're new to the genre so you get a taste of the "classic style RPG" - especially since it's still relatively easy to find, runs fine in most modern PCs and looks good.

I didn't say anything negative about Bloodlines, I loved the dialogue and some of the scenarios but I really hate 1st person action combat. It has more to do with me getting motion sickness (nauseous) when playing 1st person games than with combat systems (although just not a big fan of "twitch" combat in RPGs). Doesn't happen in all of them (like Morrowind/Oblivion) - has something to do with the engine, movment speed, camera angles, etc.

So again, no hate for Bloodlines, the OP should give it a try (as I already said).
Same with Divine Divinity - it has a lot of great things about it but the ridiculous amount of Diablo-like combat kills the fun a bit. But the OP should still give it a try at some point.

Kogorn

Novice
Thanks for the info guys! Seems like I have my work cut out for me this summer :)

Is Wiz8 something I have to torrent or is it freeware?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Dark Individual said:
Relayer71 said:
Must Play: Wizardry 8, Fallout

Should Play: Fallout 2, Gothic 2, Kotor 2, Temple Of Elemental Evil, NWN 2 MOTB

You may want to play: Divine Divinity, VtM: Bloodlines

Don't Play: NWN's OC.

That's a pretty fail list. Wizardry 8 a must and Bloodlines 2 tiers down? Why on Earth is Wizardry 8 on that list anyway? The game requires a very specific taste and gets really old really fast for many, I imagine.
Because Bloodlines is full of filler content. I like that game, and I have finished it five times, but the filler content is what prevents me from playing the game again.

Things like the Ocean House hotel, the werewolf, the crackhouse, and most of the combat bits: These were just routine things that just spaced between the more fun parts of the game. There's no replay value in stuff like that. I am sick of doing them all over again, and I want to get it over with as quickly as possible.

Thankfully, the game is flexible enough to allow the player to play as a stealthy character, which I always do. This lets you finish those parts quickly. But that still isn't good enough. Combat should be part of the fun of the game, not something that you only just want to avoid or get over with and move on. Why can't the player have as much fun playing stealthy as fighting head on?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom