Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Watch double teamed Drakensang

Monolith

Prophet
Tags: Drakensang; Peroxide

RPG Watch has posted two separate reviews of <a href="http://www.drakensang.com/">Drakensang</a>, one written <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/article?articleid=123&ref=0&id=136">by Gorath</a> (who reviewed the German version), the other one <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/article?articleid=122&ref=0&id=136">by Corwin</a>. Both are well written and mostly positive, with Corwin's one finishing off presenting Dhruin's and txa1265's opinions on the game.
<br>
<br>
Gorath:
<br>
<blockquote>Quests in Drakensang cover a wide range of topics, from typical “kill xy” or “find z” tasks, which can often be dealt with on the fly, to a few puzzles to really interesting jobs like winning a court case. The most enjoyable ones are the few quest rows with the possibility of choosing your side or playing side A off against side B, A Fistful of Dollars style. Not all quests can be solved on autopilot - sometimes the player has to put on his thinking cap.
<br>
The quests are good entertainment, especially in combination with the unique writing style. Even the weaker ones, the main quest for example, are on the better end of average. Unfortunately Drakensang lacks choices between good & evil, and
<br>
<br>
most quests are strictly linear. In more than one case, creatures in an area I had already cleaned respawned because the quest structure wanted it. To be fair, the linearity has been communicated from day one, and unrelated quests in the same area can be solved in any order.</blockquote>
<br>
Bad layout brought to you by RPG Watch.
<br>
<br>
Corwin:
<br>
<blockquote>The ability to use tactics, rather than just mashing the left mouse button, was what made the combat reasonably enjoyable - most of the time. By careful positioning, you could send a stream of arrows, knives and/or an area effect spell towards a group of enemies before they got close enough to melee. Then, by changing a character’s aggression, you could send some fighters in to close combat while others stayed behind. Using skill attacks in the right place, perhaps aided by a debuff spell from a caster would further reduce the effectiveness of the enemies often overwhelming numbers.
<br>
<br>
Combat did tend to become tedious, especially towards the end of the game and most noticeably during a particular ‘kill the rat’ campaign. Buffing spells were normally helpful but decent attack spells often took far too long to cast - a good summons was usually of more benefit. Special attacks and spells could easily be launched from a toolbar and the pause feature allowed you to do anything other than changing armour in the middle of a fight; this facilitated the use of party tactics as you could pause and issue individual queued commands to each party member.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>

Oarfish

Prophet
The ability to use tactics, rather than just mashing the left mouse button, was what made the combat reasonably enjoyable

I'm pretty sure we didn't play the same game. And the word there is 'Tactic' rather than 'Tactics', and one that breaks down when the noclip monsters rush you in restricted areas.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Corwin said:
Combat did tend to become tedious, especially towards the end of the game and most noticeably during a particular ‘kill the rat’ campaign.
The whole game was a "kill the rat campaign". Combat was tedious from the beginning to the end. Also, what Oarfish said.

made

Arcane
Story is unremarkable [but the writing good]
lolwut?

I suppose if a twisted German imitation of Monty Python performed by school kids is your definition of good writing then you'd be exhilarated by the dialogues in the game. I wasn't.

And the reason there hasn't been a Codex review yet is, I imagine, that anyone who tried got bored halfway through and quit the game, never to give it a second thought.

DemonKing

Arcane
I'm playing through at the moment and while it's not exactly the second coming of the great CRPGs of the past, there is enough there for me to find it reasonably compelling.

The beginning of the game does suffer greatly from repetitve rat-killing syndrome though and the barrel-smashing is tiresome. It definitely improves as the game goes on though.

Gorath

Novice
Bad layout brought to you by RPG Watch.

:lol: I fought hard with our editor, but it insisted on starting a new paragraph when a pic is embedded. The only way to bypass it would have been to post the pics at the top of a paragraph.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Oh, I'm so sorry, oh senior editor, I should have known it is now cool to mix English with Latin.

circ

Arcane
Not a total letdown, it's got some good sides. You could do a lot worse in this day of pseudo RPG's. But if repetitive combat and classes that can do almost anything another one can annoys you, you'll hate it. But then there's the party banter. Wonderful wonderful party banter.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
FeelTheRads said:
http://www.reference.com/search?q=Boni said:
Boni
The word Boni can have the following meanings:

plural of bonus
The boni ("good men") political faction of the late Roman Republic, also called the Optimates.
Bone state, vassal state of the government of Celebes, Dutch East Indies
Boni, Burkina Faso, a town in Burkina Faso
Boni, Mali, a town in Mali
Boni (Kenyan language), a language of the Aweer indigenous to Kenya
Boni (Surinamese language), a language indigenous to Suriname - See Ndyuka
Boni (people), one of the main Maroon groups in French Guiana, derogatory term for the Aweer People of NE Kenya
Carmen Boni, born 1905, Italian actress who worked in Germany
Boni, a character in the television series The Trap Door
I don't know what your problem is. You just need to use the search function properly.
FeelTheRads said:
Oh, I'm so sorry, oh senior editor, I should have known it is now cool to mix English with Latin.
And with Greek. Don't forget Greek.

Mefi said:
Disappointing. Despite all the positive vibes the reviews try to give off, I'm getting the feeling that this is going to be a total let-down for me if I play it.
Wait, so you're pre-emptively disappointed?
Mefi said:
Cheers circ. I think I'll head back into strategy world until Age of Decadence is released then.
Because AoD is known for its well-defined classes?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I don't know what your problem is. You just need to use the search function properly.

Uh, the dictionary section doesn't display it.
Pick-up ANY English dictionary and see if this word is featured.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom