Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial RPGDot finally gets to the friggin' point: Gothic II wins

Sol Invictus

Erudite
The combat is slightly improved over the original but it still feels wrong. As an action player I've gotten used to more fluid controls like those exhibited in Jedi Academy and BG&E and Gothic 2 really goes against that fluidity. The mouselook feels extremely sluggish and doesn't work correctly together with strafe. You can't circlestrafe or run around diagonally, and this makes the game really difficult to play because you can only move in four directions as a result. Even KOTOR and Morrowind allowed diagonal movements so this really hurts the experience. It's especially annoying that you tend to get killed when attempting to 'block' as there's no way to run away from certain combats depending on the angle.

Realbumpbert

Liturgist
The combat is frustrating in the extreme as you're starting out, but overall I found it a welcome break from the bothersome click-fest of Morrowind and the clicking-of-a-different-sort from top-down RPGs. It's good fun!

One of the best moments in the game was when I dispatched a hulking troll with a walking stick. :D

taks

Liturgist
i never minded the clicking involved with top-down games since i always focused on my mages, anyway, so it wasn't just "click here to hit here," but more of a browse through my list of options to see what was best.

too bad about gothic 2... i wish they had taken a few insights from these boards concerning combat. at the very least, a good cross-section of fan tastes is represented and rarely does anybody get all gushy and wax poetic about action based combat (nor clickfests).

oh well..

mark

Realbumpbert

Liturgist
Hm, I don't think the combat is bad at all. It's just hard to make the transition from turn-based tactics or what have you to the style of Gothic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom