Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs where primary weapons are guns/modern weapons.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I know about the usual suspects like Fallout (x), Jagged Alliance 2 (is that more of a SRPG?). What are some others that are less known?

If Jagged Alliance counts, then Brigade E5 could be worth looking into. Its subtitle is "New Jagged Union", which makes me think it's related, but I never see anyone talking about it.

919832_20061129_790screen001.jpg

6-917_3.jpg

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Not that many modern day CRPGs unfortunately.

Probably played all the good ones already.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
KOTOR, KOTOR2. Japanese RPGs.

RPGs with guns are boring you point and shoot and there isn't that much strategy. Not to mention that modern guns require about 600 m distance, otherwise it's about who is more lucky.

DaveO

Erudite
Silverfall allows Goblins to use modern weapons. I don't know if you'd consider an ARPG as the same thing as an RPG.

Marobug

Wut, how is JA a rpg ?

Anyway, you have mass effect 1/2 but they are more 3rd person shooters than rpgs imo.

There is also a pretty old and hugely underrated rpg I don't recall the name, it used the doom engine IIRC and played a bit like deus ex except it relied more on your stats than your aim.

Jason

chasing a bee
Hammer & Sickle
Silent Storm
Odium/Gorky 17
Twilight 2000
etc

There is also a pretty old and hugely underrated rpg I don't recall the name, it used the doom engine IIRC and played a bit like deus ex except it relied more on your stats than your aim.
Sounds like Strife, but it's probably not what he's looking for.

Marobug

Jason said:

No, it's a bit older I think. If I recall correctly it had a bit of a comic book look to it and you had spells and stuff which mixed with the futuristic setting was pretty cool, back then there was nothing like it and the press gave it the finger because it was way ahead of it's time. I only played this years later, like in 1997 or 1998 when fully 3d engines were already the norm but enjoyed it immensely.

MMXI

Arcane
Marobug said:
Jason said:

No, it's a bit older I think. If I recall correctly it had a bit of a comic book look to it and you had spells and stuff which mixed with the futuristic setting was pretty cool, back then there was nothing like it and the press gave it the finger because it was way ahead of it's time. I only played this years later, like in 1997 or 1998 when fully 3d engines were already the norm but enjoyed it immensely.
Sounds like Strife.

Mister Arkham

Scholar
There aren't too many, certainly. Deus Ex counts, I guess. Alpha Protocol. Things you're already familiar with, no doubt, but all I can think off that hasn't already been listed. There have been some pretty terrible Diablo-likes that have a sci-fi setting (Space Siege, MetalHeart). And I remember that there was some Polish(?) post apocalyptic RPG that DAC covered extensively five or six or eight years ago, but I don't know what ever came of it. And if we're going to dip into really loose interpretations of what an RPG is, then I guess you can count Borderlands.

Dirk Diggler

Scholar
Marobug said:
Jason said:

It definitely wasn't built on that engine, whatever it was. Assuming that you still aren't referring to Strife, which is still sort of sounds like.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Marobug said:
CyberMage: Darklight Awakening?

Marobug

Bingo, that's the one. I never played strife but from what I've read and seen it might be interesting.

schluberlubs

Educated
1866, a mod for Mount & Blade. It's set In the wild west, so lots of revolvers, rifles & explosives to play with.

Roguey said:
Marobug said:
CyberMage: Darklight Awakening?

I ain't heard of this one before, Looks Interesting.

MCA
CyberMage is an awesome.

Clockwork Knight said:
If Jagged Alliance counts, then Brigade E5 could be worth looking into. Its subtitle is "New Jagged Union", which makes me think it's related, but I never see anyone talking about it.

That's because it's abysmal shit.

Mister Arkham said:
Alpha Protocol.

Console shooter. Not an RPG.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Mister Arkham said:
Roderick said:
The Fall: Last Days Of Gaia

That's the one I was thinking of. Don't know why I thought it was Polish. Anyone have an opinion about this one?
it's pretty bland and buggy as hell.

Luzur

Good Sir
The Brazilian Slaughter said:
Am I the one who would love to play a RPG where you use 1600's weaponry? Think Pike & Shot, or Musket & Bayonet.

yes, we are badly missing a 30 Years War RPG.

Lionheart come kinda close to "alternative Europe with magic" though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom