Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs with the best dungeons

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Time to make my own Andhaira-grade thread.

I always considered dungeons fairly integral to the RPG experience. RPG without dungeons? I am sure it could work but it would not really be very traditional, and I suppose I am conservative like that.

So why not another nostalgia thread? What dungeons did you enjoy? And maybe a few words why. Especially welcome would be mentions of games that just did dungeons well in general. Maybe we can find out what they did "right".

My own nomination for the RPG with the best dungeons would go to Realms of Arkania trilogy, but 2 in particular. RoA 2's dungeons all made sense. They were long, large and filled with little details, tons of text, traps and seriously more than dozens and dozens of opportunity to use all the various skills your party may or may not have. The encounter design was a little weak, but the game made up for it by being perhaps the only one with dungeons that made sense. The orcs had places to sleep, to cook at, and every place had a little history behind it how it game to be - there was not a single place that gave me the "I was just put in here by the designer so you can earn XP" vibe.

A honorable mention goes to Fallout for The Glow. It was a very suspenseful little dungeon, and perhaps one of the most memorable parts of the game, even if it did not really have that many opportunities to use all the skills you learned (if I remember right). It made up for this with atmosphere, length and the way it was laid out and the things you found within.

We discussed this before, but I think this puts the focus on what I like in dungeons: detail. Secret passages that make sense, and weren't just thrown in there to be something to find. A story to the place, and monster that inhabit it for a reason that is greater than "we wait for adventurers to kill us". What I would especially really like to see again is the scope of detail and atmosphere RoA 2 had, with its kitchens, bedrooms, prisons and whatnot. And especially, with its sparse loot, that was laid out it a very logical and rewarding way. In it, finding a magic sword really meant something.

For some reason, encounter design doesn't really seem that important to me unless the RPG is very focused on combat. (I would like to think RoA and Fallout weren't that much, even if it played a big role.)

Anyone think we'll see RoA style dungeons again?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Might And Magic VI's dungeons were fascinating.

How do I put it...

There always something more, something more, and yet still something more deeper into each of them. And just at the one last giant room with loads of enemies, there is a huge payoff in rewards.

Too bad the game itself suffered from annoying open door area enemies and a somewhat awkward combat system.

ecliptic

Liturgist
I enjoyed the very limited times you went underground in the first two Gothics.

Zomg

Arbiter
The Tower of Eternal Flames in ADOM just about drove me crazy the first few times I reached it. Easily my favorite Roguelike set piece.

I loved the Glow but that shit requires you to be fairly videogame-naive to get the full effect.

Step blobber dungeons are boredom generators. I hope you like these fucking floor and ceiling textures bro, because we are going to immerse the shit out of you by making you play with a cumbersome viewpoint.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Honestly, RoA 2 did great, great stuff with its step-blob dungeons, Zomg. At least I thought so. Yeah, very limited textures, and fixed point of view. But the text, and the sparse use of different textures and sprites for different rooms made all the difference. A lot of attention to the detail.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Cosmic Cube. The place was a strenuous nightmare to map and tough as all fucking hell, but goddamn did I feel great when I finally conquered that bitch, I felt like a god that day. :)

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
Dicksmoker said:
I think we first need to define "dungeon."

bruce_willis1.jpg

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wizardry 8. The Monastery. I've made so many new parties just to re-experience that incredibly well-made dungeon. There's a lot to discover, a lot of secret places and it's the perfect start for a good dungeon crawler game. Wizardry 8 generally had very good dungeons. One of my favourite crawlers.

Also, World of Xeen. Most of the dungeons had you make use of spells in creative ways, especially teleport and jump. They were full of traps and things to discover (Cave of Illusions in Clouds of Xeen was great), there were many secret areas you could access by kicking down walls... has some of my favourite dungeons ever. The Golem Dungeon in Clouds, that temple where you can fight Barkman in Darkside... great stuff.

And, generally, just like Jasede, I like *detail* in my dungeons. Give it some backstory, place some clever traps or puzzles in it and make it logical instead of just an XP gathering ground.

Murk

Arcane
Major_Boobage said:
Is Watchers Keep in Throne of Bhaal to be considered a dungeon?

If so : Watchers Keep in Tob.

I always thought that Durlag's Tower was a better expansion added giant dungeon place in the BG games.

Severed hand in Icewind Dale 1 is probably my current favourite. I don't play 'blob with arm' games tho, so I may be missing out on some great shit or something.

If anyone has the gumption, I suggest you experience the Dungeon in Dark Heart of Uukrul. Don't say I didn't warn you though.

This dungeon has it all: Puzzles, elaborate twists and turns, cryptic bits of parchment from the party sent in before you, warning you of various issues they had, and traps they eluded or fell for. The game itself does become very difficult though. I recommend it for any dungeon delvers out there.

Dungeon Master also come highly recommended. Again, the dungeon is a tricky, deadly thing that will test anybody who playes the game. This has the old school survival, eating and drinking in it as well.

It depends what you want from a dungeon really. Some of the really old games like Legacy of the Ancients, Questron 2, etc had some real hardcases. Making it to the bottom and eventually emerging back into the open felt like an achievement. These dungeons were fairly simplistic though.

JrK

Prophet
Durlag's tower was pretty memorable even if it did make sense, but it was Faerun after all...

Other than that the Severed Hand takes the cake.

Andhaira

Arcane
Star Trail did indeed have fantastic dungeons. So did Shadows Over Riva (best sewers out of any rpg)

Durlags Tower and the Icewindale 1 dungeons were also fantastic. Lands of Lore also had some sweet area's (both outdoor and indoor) except for that part where you lose your atlas (which sucked)

Wiz 8 was pretty cool too. As was the Might and Magic series. (save part 8 and 9)

Avernum and Exile get credit for being a huge dungeon basically and well designed. Eschalon also gets honorary mention for having some cool dungeons.

Carceri

Arcane
Jasede said:
A honorable mention goes to Fallout for The Glow. It was a very suspenseful little dungeon, and perhaps one of the most memorable parts of the game, even if it did not really have that many opportunities to use all the skills you learned (if I remember right). It made up for this with atmosphere, length and the way it was laid out and the things you found within.

:salute:

Rhalle

Magister
DriacKin said:
RPG with the worst dungeons: SoZ

Sad thing is, they could have been the best in years.

If only those few rooms were actual dungeons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom