Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs you regret never finishing

But ATOM is a great game if you give it some time!
Yeah, I recall liking it actually, I've no idea what came up in my life at the time so I abruptly dropped it. Might've even been the case that I got filtered at one point or another, can't remember for the life of me. But I'll definitely give it another try, seeing that you can apparently import a character into the expansion.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
But ATOM is a great game if you give it some time!
Yeah, I recall liking it actually, I've no idea what came up in my life at the time so I abruptly dropped it. Might've even been the case that I got filtered at one point or another, can't remember for the life of me. But I'll definitely give it another try, seeing that you can apparently import a character into the expansion.

As I understood (Atomboy?) the Trudograd version of the game will be also significantly updated overall comparing to, say, 2019 version (when I was playing it).

Malamert

Arcane
Edgy
Inquisitor. I remember really liking the story. But the combat sucked absolute ass. Need to finish it. Just to see what the story was all about.
Play a priest, get the Locust Swarm spell and you've won the game. It deals hundreds of damage in seconds. You'll melt everything and anything in sight. You can also turn undead and destroy entire groups instantly. Stamina is an extremely important resource for everyone, priest included. Invest in stats that increase Stamina and Stamina regeneration. Also carry an absolute boatload of health, mana and stamina potions. Don't shy away from using seals to deal with stronger enemies. Some seals are pretty much magical shotguns at close range.

Pillars of Eternity.

I got bored and gave up sometime after my party reached the city of Twin Elms. I lost my save a long time ago. I've always wanted to finish it because it's crpg history and I'll never feel like I can begin Deadfire now. But oh god I'm not starting a Pillars of Eternity playthrough ever again.

I have identical sentiments. I had literally just arrived at Twin Elms when I thought, "What am I doing?" That session had come after a several month pause in the game where I kept trying to convince myself to finish the game. In that moment, I uninstalled the entire game and even deleted the save files. That's how little I cared.

I've read that 3.0 and the expansions highly refined and improved the game, so I do toy with the notion of giving it another attempt. The worthy entries in my backlog keep such misguided endeavors a bay, however.

Funposter

Arcane
I've finished it before (and it's barely an RPG) but I have a Witcher 3 save file from two years ago which is about 3 hours away from being completed on Death March difficulty and I still haven't got around to it, and likely never will.

Do you guys know their first game Daemonica? Not RPG but very curious one.
No, not familiar with it. It's not showing in either the Steam or GoG stores.

curds

Magister
Gothic 1.
Got to the last area of the game with the Sleeper. I recall needing arrows for some reason but I didn't have any, and I had stupidly been using only one save slot. So I was missing an essential item (unless I felt I was at the time) and had no save to go back to. Loved the rest of the game but couldn't finish it because of that.

Knights of the Chalice.
Spent days banging my head against the wall in the last battle. Just could not beat it no matter how hard I tried. I suspect I was underlevelled. One of my favourite games but in every playthrough I have been stalled by a fight I just couldn't beat. I make it farther each time.

Basante

Novice
Thank you for the welcome, I've been lurking since at least 10 years, I find the codex informative and enjoyable.

Testownia

I was going to say Grimoire, due to those atrocious portraits, but now I see he's still patching it. Oh, well...

Arcanum.

I was almost finished, very close to the end, but the combat got so awkward that it triggered me and I postponed finishing it (my party was uber powerful, in RTwP mode they would just mow down any resistance almost instantly). That was back in 2012...

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Daggerfall
Playing the original Daggerfall all those years ago was a dicey proposition at best with all those killer bugs waiting to happen and after getting more than halfway on the MQ I ran into a big that corrupted my saves so that was basically it... just switched a more recent character to Daggerfall Unity so enjoying it a whole lot and looking forward to finally finishing it after more than 20 years!

Quest for Glory 4 Shadows of Darkness
Ditto with the bugs; ran into a pretty well known endgame killer named error 54 and yeah... having replayed the first 2 games (plus remakes of 1 & 2) maybe 10 times I think it’s just a matter of time for me to sit down and do the whole thing and finally play QFG5 too!

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Planescape, because I couldn't stand the combat, neither as a kid nor just recently when I tried again. And now I'm the one hardcore rpg nerd who doesn't know why people like the damn game

It fits their zeitgeist. I didn't finish my replay but Morte alone is worth anything else you don't like.
And the music is fantastic!

I only regret not finishing Baldur's gate 1 because I probably won't play it again. Also kingdom come deliverance, got bored at the monastery but I'll replay it soon enough.

Arcanum.

I was almost finished, very close to the end, but the combat got so awkward that it triggered me and I postponed finishing it (my party was uber powerful, in RTwP mode they would just mow down any resistance almost instantly). That was back in 2012...
I couldn't revive Virgil because i went full technology and rage quit because of it.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Gothic 1.
Got to the last area of the game with the Sleeper. I recall needing arrows for some reason but I didn't have any, and I had stupidly been using only one save slot. So I was missing an essential item (unless I felt I was at the time) and had no save to go back to. Loved the rest of the game but couldn't finish it because of that.

Knights of the Chalice.
Spent days banging my head against the wall in the last battle. Just could not beat it no matter how hard I tried. I suspect I was underlevelled. One of my favourite games but in every playthrough I have been stalled by a fight I just couldn't beat. I make it farther each time.
>Spent days banging my head against the wall in the last battle.
>Just could not beat it no matter how hard I tried.
Open up with: dominate, confuse, dominate undead, and summons. Then fall back to corner. Keep cleric safe and away from harm in corner. Here:
CeuOiLF.png
Have Cleric revive people when they go down. While your Wizards are in a safe position, have them throw Area of Effect spells at enemy. Melee units should only be used to safe guard spellcasters from harm. Most of the fighting will be done by summons and enemies that are under your control. That's how I did it:

RegionalHobo

Scholar
prelude to darkness, game decided it was time to crash and never stopped

xenogear, lost my save close to the end, guess i'll try it again one day now that there s the switch version

inquisitor, act 2 had way too many copied elements from act 1. that said even if the combat is garbage the setting was really good so one day i'll try it again

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Kingmaker's kingdom management was a pain in the dick. I tried doing a playthrough with it disabled but I got stuck in a loop where I just replayed the first chapter a few times with different classes until I was sick of the introduction.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom