Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial RPGWatch's Game of the Year 2008

racofer

Thread Incliner
aries202 said:
Bethesda really did what they do best - make a (bland) rpg game with fps combat in it.

Except that Doom did this better than Bethesda 15 years earlier and so did most of the "pure" fps games since then. FO3 is neither thing, it's something else that fails on all kinds of categories we know (other than shit category).

racofer

Thread Incliner
PrzeSzkoda said:
Katana stealth kills were cool, too - with that oriental jingle and the fountain of blood from the hapless fellah's heart. :cool: Best Bloodlines playthrough ever for me was playing it with an urban ninja Malkavian (using the "Ninja" background, available in the fan-patches).

Yes, I recently replayed as a ninja malk and it was awesome. That jingle cracked me up the first time I heard it. But on brutality, the Bush Hook wins. Very satisfying.

Silellak

Cipher
aries202 said:
Bethesda has always made games were you explore a lot, from Arena to Daggerfall to Morrowind, Oblivion and now Fallout 3. There's no real surprise there. And also games in which combat is the means to getting through the game.
Bethesda really did what they do best - make a (bland) rpg game with fps combat in it.

From what I've seen around the internets, Fallout 3's sidequest are rather good (as was Oblivion's) but the story is - well - not good. Or worse than Oblivion's?

Since when were Oblivion's side quests "rather good"? A majority of were bland, uninteresting quests with only one solution that typically involved some combination of killing things or exploring bland, repetitive dungeons where all the enemies were the same level as you because challenging games are for nerdy fags.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
Ion Flux said:
cat_feline_surprise_wtf_ack_very_ex.png

I love your sig, Ion Flux ^_^ I can't believe George Bush said it.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
While I agree with most of the negative comments regarding Fallout 3 from an RPG player's perspective and all Bethesda's original un-modded titles for that matter. There's one thing you can give them credit for - making the construction kits available and actively encouraging and supporting the modding community.

In that regard, I prefer to think of their games as mearly 'Game Engines' with a sample, developer created demo mod (the OC) to get you started. Similar to the NWN series (even though both Bioware and Obsidian have created some decent expansions/campains themselves while Bethesda have not).

Hopefully, in a year or two, there will be enough user-created content to make Fallout 3 finally playable in an RPG sence. Some decent AI/Combat/Group mods are already appearing.

*crosses fingers*. :?

aboyd

Liturgist
AndhairaX said:
What PISSES meoff is that all of these 'rpgs' are real time!
Wait... isn't "King's Bounty: The Legend" (the 3rd place game) turn-based?

Disconnected

Scholar
aboyd said:
AndhairaX said:
What PISSES meoff is that all of these 'rpgs' are real time!
Wait... isn't "King's Bounty: The Legend" (the 3rd place game) turn-based?
Yeah, but isn't it also a turn based strategy game, rather than a role-playing game?

I'll admit I voted it best cRPG, but the only other candidate I'd played back then was the Fallout FPS TC for Oblivion, so I voted for the non-cRPG I had more fun with.

zodden

Scholar
LMAO

What a list. Mount and Blade is an RPG? Really?

King's bounty is an RPG? Really? I guess then Heroes of Might and Magic must also be RPG as well. :o

What the fuck are they smoking over there because I want some. I know 2008 was some slim pickens but they should have added The Witcher EE to the list and removed non RPG's from a best of RPG list. LOL

Ion Flux

Savant
Project: Eternity
poocolator said:
Ion Flux said:

I love your sig, Ion Flux ^_^ I can't believe George Bush said it.

George W. Bush, master of unbelievable statements. I would miss him if he weren't an illiterate war criminal who tried his hardest to ruin America. A true comedy goldmine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom