Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chornobyl - coming November 20th

Anomaly is just a base game you can mod and configure however you like. GAMMA is just a modpack, you could have the exact same experience by installing each mod individually long before GAMMA became a thing, same with escape from pripyat. Don't like the freeplay, want new quests? There's mods for that, too. Everyone who's shitting on Anomaly here is just outing himself as a retard who couldn't figure out the config menu. Or a retard who repeats common criticisms without realizing they were originally aimed at Misery and Anomaly never had most of those issues in the first place.
One thing I didn't highlight when posting about a vanilla SHOC run a while back is how liberating I found the absence of overbearing crafting and survival mechanics. Minimal tedious inventory management getting in the way of the set piece fights. MISERY's influence is a millstone around the modding scene's collective neck.

Looking back at MISERY's glitzy promotional material I wonder whether its success was as much a PR coup as anything else. I remember a lot of hype especially around version 2.0. There were even write ups in the gaming press.

deuxhero

Arcane
https://www.esrb.org/ratings/40025/s-t-a-l-k-e-r-2-heart-of-chornobyl/
This is a first-person shooter in which players assume the role of a stalker investigating a mystery in a post-apocalyptic world. Players explore an open-world environment to complete objectives, interact with characters, and engage enemies (e.g., soldiers, mutated creatures) in frenetic firefights. Players use machine guns, rifles, and explosives to kill enemies that emit splatters of blood when shot. Some environments depict bloodstains on walls and large pools of blood underneath corpses. Anomalies in the environment can cause bodies and creatures to explode, resulting in chunks of flesh littering the ground; one sequence depicts decapitated heads on spikes. Players have the ability to kill civilians, though this can result in immediate retaliation from nearby characters; a cutscene depicts a bound man executed at close range. During the course of the game, players' character can consume alcohol, resulting in screen-blurring effects and the character swaying; one cutscene depicts players' character smoking a cigarette from a first-person perspective. The word “f**k” is heard in the game.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
cyberpunk-Dear-Stalkers-We-have-an-important-update-to-share-with-you-reg.jpg

ADL

Prophet
Not beating the Metro 4 allegations.
I'm sure I'll enjoy it as a one and done game but I have serious doubts it'll have the longevity of the original.

Harthwain

Magister
I'm sure I'll enjoy it as a one and done game but I have serious doubts it'll have the longevity of the original.
I'd say it depends on how well they will do the exploratory and sandbox aspects of it.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

That's the problem.
It looks way too similar to Metro.
It does look pretty good though, but I have my doubts it will beat the janky perfection of the original STALKER.

Iucounu

Educated
No pandering to Liberals and SJWs in this trailer is good news.

Gameplay doesn't look too bad actually, but still no mentioning of NPC/mutant migration. Now, if the following was caused by random gameplay events (like shooting a faction leader) it would be awesome, but most likely it's just the result of predetermined plot progression or at best dialog choices:

19:14​
Mariia: In S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 factions can sometimes change their leader. Sometimes they can break up. Sometimes they can do something that will seem to the player... Well, it doesn’t match their ideology at all. Like in real life, where people seem very close to each other ideologically. Then it turns out there are some things that completely divide them into some new groups.​

This on the other hand does sound like at least some effort was put into NPC behaviors:

19:45​
Dzmitry: In the original trilogy, the routine of people in the Zone was not much presented, so we have done that in the second part of the game. And now each faction has a certain feature in the arrangement of their permanent shelter. For example, Loners, even in their permanent camps, prefer to remain alone or in small groups. The Duty members are also committed to pre-military discipline and order.​

Replay value while ignoring the story sounds good (if true):

20:46​
I believe we managed to convey this. This game will be interesting to those enjoying the story, and also to those… who prefer replaying the game multiple times, ignoring the story, just exploring the world.​

Thankfully no "RPG" leveling:

25:31​
So in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 there is no leveling system, like level 1, 10, 15, 80 and so on. Your progress is reflected in better knowledge of the environment, in faster reactions. To my mind, this is exactly what the players would expect from S.T.A.L.K.E.R.​

Cutscenes are still the most negative part to me:

29:07​
I can definitely say that we've developed nearly three hours of cutscenes for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2. More than forty-three units. It’s almost like a big movie in a big game.​

--3 hours divided by 43 means 4 minutes per cutscene on average, "almost like a movie".

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Damn, shown with a controller. Looks kinda lame, tbh. Very little sim, and too much action.

randir14

Augur
Looks good, I hope the yellow paint can be disabled. But I guess someone will mod it out if not.

Fargus

Arcane
Simple texture replacement can fix that tbh
It's a sign of the underlying design philosophy, which mods can't fix.

Yes you obviously can't mod out every modern retardation they will shove into this bitch. But ever since they crawled outta the grave and made their announcement i knew the sequel is likely going to be Far Cry: Chernobyl with female stalkers. Every new video is yet another confirmation. Don't know what people expect around here.

destinae vomitus

Educated
That gameplay footage reminds me of the newer Far Cry games, clearly made by and for a console audience, and visually speaking confirms that all the prior trailers and screenshots from YEARS AGO were 100% bullshots.

Are people seriously expecting anything out of this other than mediocrity or an outright trainwreck? It's no Star Citizen but it's all been one big grift since the start. Reminder that this was supposed to release over two years ago, despite having zero gameplay footage shown off back then (probably because there was no playable game to even show off). Meanwhile the scam artists behind this were eager to attempt to hop onto the NFT "trend" and attempt to squeeze extra eurodollars from people, while having laughable pre-order bonuses to boot. The whole Ukraine fiasco also served as a convenient excuse to constantly "delay" the game (i.e. actually develop a game) and keep draining money from Micro$oft since some suits there were foolish enough to back this. The leaks for Shadow of Chernobyl had more going on than this thing's leaked dev build, nuff said.

Losus4

Novice
--3 hours divided by 43 means 4 minutes per cutscene on average, "almost like a movie".

Meh... part of why Anomaly is so good is that it doesn't contain a single moment in which control is snatched from the player.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom