Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R is an amazing game...

Topher

Cipher
DraQ said:
Topher said:
...did you think those cans were rising in the air and hitting you on their own volition, perhaps seeking lulz?

You better believe I though they were out for lulz.

That's cool that you can stop those damn cans but what do you shoot at? I actually though an anomaly caused it so I went through that whole base while getting constantly pelted in the face with small metal cans, the damn things cause bleed damage.
Well, at least you shown your humility there, in absence of wisdom. :wink:

Everybody does stupid stuff from time to time, no biggie. Anyway, I remember the sparklers but I would noticed cans hitting me even when sparklers weren't present so I never made the connection.

DraQ

Arcane
Sceptic said:
I was a little shocked to see stars in the night sky, something that never happened with vanilla SOC (the sky just stays much lighter). Night's still not as dark as I would like (lighter than CS, I think also lighter than COP) but a big improvement over vanilla. I wonder why SOC didn't even use that starry sky, since it's in the data files already.
Bwuh? Stalker does use them. I think that nights don't work properly on some maps (DV, for instance), but others, like Garbage, Agroprom, Cordon let you experience starry nights. I even have screenshots of starry sky as seen from Garbage.

:shock: OK I definitely didn't find this crate either. Love the MP5 though, most of my 9.19mm ammo went into it rather than a Walker.
Look at the inaccessible watchtower near Bes' group. There should be a wooden crate on the top. Blast it apart and it should be raining ammo boxes.

single fire mode isn't there just for show
I admit I very rarely use single fire mode in AR. Of course I did earlier on, before finding a dedicated sniper rifle, by attaching a scope to an AR (the fast-shooting AKM in my case) but not so much later on.
I, on the other hand, really like firing single shots. It's much more accurate and conserves both ammo and weapon's health.

Topher said:
Everybody does stupid stuff from time to time, no biggie. Anyway, I remember the sparklers but I would noticed cans hitting me even when sparklers weren't present so I never made the connection.
Well, I was running around x18 all :shock: after seeing some crates levitate, then suddenly bash me on the head for the first time in x18. At first I was dodging sparklers, but noticed how they don't behave like anomalies (not zapping me nor my bolts dead), so since the constant barrage from the flying junk and sudden noises were wearing me down mentally, I tried shooting my pistol at one of the sparklers - it bled.

Topher

Cipher
DraQ said:
Well, I was running around x18 all after seeing some crates levitate, then suddenly bash me on the head for the first time in x18. At first I was dodging sparklers, but noticed how they don't behave like anomalies (not zapping me nor my bolts dead), so since the constant barrage from the flying junk and sudden noises were wearing me down mentally, I tried shooting my pistol at one of the sparklers - it bled.

I just ran away like a little bitch. I don't do very well with the scary parts in video games. :(

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
DraQ said:
Bwuh? Stalker does use them. I think that nights don't work properly on some maps (DV, for instance), but others, like Garbage, Agroprom, Cordon let you experience starry nights.
Mmm. Must be the contrast on my monitor then. The night was so bright I may have not noticed. Even with the mod the nights still feel too bright. I'm very much enjoying nights in COP though. Fully dark this time, I'm actually having to use night vision and the flashlight.

Look at the inaccessible watchtower near Bes' group. There should be a wooden crate on the top. Blast it apart and it should be raining ammo boxes.
I see where it is. I've made a not and will check it out on my next run. Thanks!

I, on the other hand, really like firing single shots. It's much more accurate and conserves both ammo and weapon's health.
Eh, ammo's very rarely a problem for me in the series. Right now I have so much ammo in my stash in Jupiter it's not even funny.

I really like COP so far. I miss the underground labs but the new exterior areas are good. There are some great features in the landscape, such as the Scar anomaly, the Boiler anomaly as seen from the ridge you start on, the landlocked ships, the Jupiter plant from a distance... it's all good. I'm not really sure what the main plot is about, I've investigated all but one of the Stingray sites and am trying to figure out how to get to Pripyat now. Keep getting sidetracked into side jobs though, they're far more interesting than in the previous games.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
I did the Jupiter plant yesterday: Stingray site, one of the scientist missions, and the Road to Pripyat main mission. All during the course of one night. It was awesome.

The plant's the most atmospheric place in the game so far, and better than anything in CS. It's a different type of atmospheric from SOC. X18 was "OMGOMGOMGOMG FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU" atmospheric, edge of the seat, jumping, WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON panic atmospheric. Jupiter is... gentler. The "walk slowly, look around, take in the sights, what the hell is this place, wow" atmospheric. X18 may be more effective, but I like this one too. I don't think I fired more than a handful of shots in there (2 blind dogs near the Stingray), the rest of the time was spent just exploring the huge plant. Doing this at night adds bucketloads to the atmosphere, especially since I was doing everything by the flashlight. I really like this game.

DraQ

Arcane
Too bad CoP has absolutely no "OMGOMGOMGOMG FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU" areas. It's a damn good game, but if it had some X18 equivalent...

Sceptic said:
Eh, ammo's very rarely a problem for me in the series. Right now I have so much ammo in my stash in Jupiter it's not even funny.
I liked it more when ammo was heavy in SoC. Weapon health also mattered more.

the Scar anomaly
Fuck, yes. When I first saw it I thought ":shock: I wouldn't like it here when this happened". Too bad psi field was piss weak, and anomalies in this field almost nonexistant. Same with artifacts. I really liked how anomalies and environmental hazards were sirius business in CS. In CoP they are all piss weak.

Keep getting sidetracked into side jobs though, they're far more interesting than in the previous games.
Don't forget about C&C.

Tails

Arbiter
For first play, you could use:
AtmosFear - Tweaks and expands the vanilla weather system to be more realistic and various.
Sound overhaul - for overall much better sounds (on bottom you have last version).
Ambient Audio Overhaul is very cool too, but it could conflict with AtmosFear...

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Before I get to specific replies, a question about SSAO. In the COP utility I see 2 different options for it: HBAO and HDAO. Each then has more subsettings. HBAO seems to run at better FPS on High than HDAO on High (forget about HADO on Ultra), but I see no real difference in visuals. Thoughts?

DraQ said:
Too bad CoP has absolutely no "OMGOMGOMGOMG FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU" areas. It's a damn good game, but if it had some X18 equivalent...
... then it would've been the best entry in the series by far, no questions asked.

I liked it more when ammo was heavy in SoC. Weapon health also mattered more.
My guns and armor in COP seem to get damaged more quickly than in either CS or SOC, but with easy repairs that's never a problem. Even at low health my guns don't jam anywhere near as much as damaged guns do in SOC. At least they do get damaged though. In CS they get damaged very slowly AND don't jam frequently.

I really liked how anomalies and environmental hazards were sirius business in CS. In CoP they are all piss weak.
Yeah that was a great thing about CS. The anomalies right at the beginning in the swamp, in the "tutorial" bit, were powerful enough to rip you to shreds in a second. Then you get ripped to shreds by the boards a minute later... Around that time I realized this would be much more difficult than your typical shooter. Generally the difficulty in COP seems much lower than in the previous games. I'm playing at the same difficulty as always and I take far less damage from gunfire and mutants. Being attacked by 2-3 snorks in SOC or CS meant instadeath, but here I manage to survive without too much trouble. Though healing is far less effective, as it's no longer instantaneous.

Don't forget about C&C.
I suspect it, but I'm not sure just yet. I got the feeling that there are multiple ways to do the Flint/Magpie quest, since it ties into so many other quests, but I'm not sure how. Are there also supposed to be multiple endings?

Clockwork Knight said:
I found a "weight" mod. Thoughts?
Stay the fuck away from it. See below.

I'm gonna play this soon. What mods should I use, if any at all?
I assume you mean SOC? If you don't know much about the games' stories I'd suggest starting with CS instead, you'll hate the ending at first then go back and love it later on in SOC. But anyway, for SOC I would only suggest ZRP (patch to either 1.0004 or 1.0005 first. I use 1.0005 with no trouble). Get the latest build (not the newest demo), there's a couple of extra fixes you can also grab from there (most importantly the new all.spawn) and you're good to go. ZRP has a config utility that lets you change many things in the game, including how much weight you can carry. At the most I'd double the limits, anything higher just removes any inventory management. I also suggest turning off sidequest respawning, but that's just me. And finally if you (like me) find nights to be far too bright, I found a very nice Darker Nights mod that I can't point you to (didn't keep a link) but that I could upload somewhere.

If you decide to start with CS, patch to 1.010 and install SRP (1.01, but I'd use the weapon upgrades from 1.00. 1.01 messed up with them for no reason). Again that's all you need. Make sure you have a monstrous video card.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
DraQ said:
I bet you didn't expect to receive so much machinegun rape upon entering the Cordon, though. :smug:
:rage:
I actually checked a walkthrough, which suggested going back to Swamp and taking the northern exit. I scoffed at this cheap tactic and took it like a man. Had to reload an ungodly number of times before I managed it. Then when I finally made it, by hiding behind every little thing I could, timing it so I could run between bursts, using up half my bandages, I finally get the message from Sidorovich and think I'm safe... then get gang banged by a pack of blind dogs and killed.
:rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:
You can see why I like CS. I had been craving for this type of challenge in my shooter practically forever.

DraQ

Arcane
Sceptic said:
DraQ said:
I bet you didn't expect to receive so much machinegun rape upon entering the Cordon, though. :smug:
:rage:
I actually checked a walkthrough, which suggested going back to Swamp and taking the northern exit. I scoffed at this cheap tactic and took it like a man. Had to reload an ungodly number of times before I managed it. Then when I finally made it, by hiding behind every little thing I could, timing it so I could run between bursts, using up half my bandages, I finally get the message from Sidorovich and think I'm safe... then get gang banged by a pack of blind dogs and killed.
:rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:
You can see why I like CS. I had been craving for this type of challenge in my shooter practically forever.
icon_trollface.png

I almost hated this sequence for being so fucking unfair.
Almost.
:smug:

Thanks, Sceptic, I meant CS and SoC. But why would I need a monstrous video card? I have a laptop with a lulsy 8400 M GS and it (CS) ran normally (well, actually it ran on my cousin's laptop which is exaclty like mine except for a bigger screen)

I thought Call of Prypriat is the one would need a good card, since it's a sequel.

Tails

Arbiter
Clockwork Knight said:
I thought Call of Prypriat is the one would need a good card, since it's a sequel.
For me, CoP runs better then SoC on Laptop.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Sceptic said:
The plant's the most atmospheric place in the game so far, and better than anything in CS.

Really? Except the road to Pripyat, I thought the plant was actually pretty lacklustre because of how fucking empty it was. Running to and around it was also pretty tiring, since it was not only empty but also hueg.

Also, did you find the Oasis? :smug:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
DraQ said:
Almost.
There is a fine line between hating it for being unfair and loving it for being challenging. But in my case there was no line. I hated it and loved it all at once.

Clockwork Knight said:
I have a laptop with a lulsy 8400 M GS and it (CS) ran normally
It does? Oh wow. Maybe you turned off some of the hungrier settings, like SSAO and Sunrays? I can run SOC at full settings (yeah, including AA and AF) at around 50 FPS but with CS I had to turn down a LOT of things to get it to run at 40-50 (and with sunrays it drops to 30 sometimes). Thankfully there are some specific settings you can turn down with negligible image degradation but huge FPS boost.

Oddly enough COP runs better on my system than CS. Then again I think that's because CS (at least with 1.010) has more setting than COP. COP doesn't have the object antialiasing for example. The engine's generally better optimized too.

DraQ said:
Darth Roxor said:
It involves the best fucking anomaly ever.
Yes to both.

yaster

Liturgist
God. I'm happy I didn't play fo3 more than few hours. Everything about it is so fucking terrible and repulsing. Everything I saw or heard was :facepalm: worthy and this harold stuff is just more proof of this being true.

MaskedMartyr

Liturgist
Sceptic said:
DraQ said:
Almost.
There is a fine line between hating it for being unfair and loving it for being challenging. But in my case there was no line. I hated it and loved it all at once.

Clockwork Knight said:
I have a laptop with a lulsy 8400 M GS and it (CS) ran normally
It does? Oh wow. Maybe you turned off some of the hungrier settings, like SSAO and Sunrays? I can run SOC at full settings (yeah, including AA and AF) at around 50 FPS but with CS I had to turn down a LOT of things to get it to run at 40-50 (and with sunrays it drops to 30 sometimes). Thankfully there are some specific settings you can turn down with negligible image degradation but huge FPS boost.

Oddly enough COP runs better on my system than CS. Then again I think that's because CS (at least with 1.010) has more setting than COP. COP doesn't have the object antialiasing for example. The engine's generally better optimized too.

DraQ said:
Darth Roxor said:
It involves the best fucking anomaly ever.
Yes to both.

Call of Pripyat uses xray engine 1.6 . the modders are actually having a problem with it at the moment and are trying to figure out how to hack all their previous tools to work with the new engine, such as the map editor

Tails

Arbiter
CoP uses the same tools as CS afaik, only few things has changed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom