Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sam, Max, Season, 1

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Sooo I got those.
Now I need opinions because I am curious: am I the only one thinking this game is awesome and very awesome and generally awesome? Sure, the puzzles are way easy, but gee! It's Sam & Max! It reminds me VERY pleasantly of the old Lucas Arts game, and that says something.

Am I alone with this opinion? Also, Max is fucking hot.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Not awesome, but good. It's very funny, but puzzles are easy and guys from Telltale were shamelessly reusing locations and characters as series progressed. Episode 6 didn't have new characters at all.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
They are very good indeed. I'm pondering getting season 2 episode by episode (instead of just waiting for the job lot like I did with Season 1), but it's christmas and I'm skint/very lazy.

It isn't as good as the classic LA's Sam & Max though, it's not quite mental enough and the characters aren't quite as charming in their weirdness. Still I'd take it over 99% of shitty dross thrown out now-a-days.

Noceur

Liturgist
The puzzles are easy but story/presentation-wise the episodes range from good to awesome (in my opinion). I especially enjoyed the later episodes, like Reality 2.0.

After re-watching the intro to the old Sam & Max: Hit the Road I have to say the voice for Max was better in the old one. He had a great accent, which gave him more character.

Anyway, they sure are enjoyable and I can't wait for season two to finish so I can buy the Season 2 Box.

EDIT: Btw, would you mind horribly if I pulled some obvious furry joke at you for liking this game? It seems appropriate... you bunny-lover! :P

Hory

Erudite
The dialogues are awesome (probably written by "the father" of Sam & Max?), but several other aspects are lacking. I think they're trying to improve some of the problems in the second season, tho. Also, it was nice to play a game that's culturally up-to-date. When did you hear the word "blog" in a game?

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The games are definitely fun to play through, though a bit on the easy side.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Bwahaha, just playing Ep 3. Every game that makes a Vietnam joke is an awesome game.

Noceur

Liturgist
Since it's presented as a series, I don't think there's anything wrong with having some locales be cross-episodal (the office is obvious). Since the plot spans the whole season, it also stands to reason that some characters do as well. Those 3 ex child-stars didn't have to be in so many episodes though... although it was probably intended as a joke.

Anyway, the episodes aren't perfect but hopefully they'll get even better.

EDIT: Episode 4 has some real comedy gold... and it really picks up after that.

Hory

Erudite
The "Soda Poppers" (even the name is annoying) are some of the worst characters I've ever seen in a game. I can't believe they're bringing them back in Season 2. I also fail to see what how they benefit the game so that they had to be dragged through all these episodes...
That new female character ("Stinky"?) is hot tho.

Annonchinil

Scholar
After the setup wizard opening of the season two demo I got the entire season one. My laptop is in repair right now so unfortunalty I can't play it.

Gambler

Augur
The demo of the "episodes" was the worst example of computer game humor I ever saw.

I think the idea is more awesome than the series itself.

Sure the series is awesome too, but I don't find "click-everywhere-until-puzzle-solved" to be that awesome. Yeah, I'm a bitch but what can you do about it?

On the bright sight I didn't notice what I was doing or how I was playing the game until I just missed that one spot to click on for 1,5 hour.

So they did an almost great job in hiding it and it is effective and simple enough to be forgiven.

However I really hope that episodic gaming kicks off so it would be usual to pick a series to follow and schedule your time around the release date of that one episode. And I'm really waiting for episodic gamings Heroes or Prison Break. A series that would keep you wanting to see the next episode. So I see a great potential for storytelling in games in this episodic gaming.

But what I most would like to see would be "Early Edition" as an episodic game. A guy getting tomorrow's news is still a great idea.

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Max started getting on my nerves as soon as he opened his mouth in episode 1 and Sam got all too predictable all too soon as well. As did Bosco, that chick, and those Soda Poppers. I did manage to finish episodes 1-4 before uninstalling the whole thing though.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I've only played the free one (ep 104), and the dialogues are definitely excellent..

I dislike the simplified interface though (as compared to the scumm games) -- only clicking on things, and using things from inventory.. I'd like to see pick up. use/ talk to etc. back in games again ;/

gromit

Arcane
Bosco's repetition in the first five games is more than made up for in the sixth - the payoff was god damn fantastic; if only it hadn't five discrete games to get the punchline.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I like the alot. I'm not even really mad that I feel shortchanged by Steam yet again.

I love Reality 2.0 and like all others.

My biggest complaint would be the interaction between Sam and Max. I'd like to see more puzzles depend on both characters and especially require the player to make active use of them.

jonnypolen

Liturgist
It's a fun game, but it got ruined by being far too easy. Also, the Soda Poppers got way, way too annoying.

I'm still getting season 2, though. It's Sam and Max, people!

don_tomaso

Liturgist
The thing that really made me think "this isn´t sam and max the way I knew them" was in episode uh 2 I think, when max for some reason I don´t remember yells "BURN" .. I mean what the hell? Burn? This is sam n max we´re talking about, not that 70s show..

And well, the voiceactors just aren´t up to pair with the originals.. and why o why must they insist in using them ugly 3d graphix when even the original sam n max look better..

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Claw said:
I'd like to see more puzzles depend on both characters and especially require the player to make active use of them.
1.jpg

Like this one? :D I doubt you can get more active than that.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
The graphics weren't ugly at all and the voice actors were very competent; I think a few of you merely don't like it because it's different. Something I can understand because normally I hate change.

However, I only played on 800x600. Maybe it looks less nice on a higher resolution. But that's your own damn fault for using a resolution so high one can't appreciate the artwork properly. [...]

don_tomaso

Liturgist
Well then, our opinions go apart, because I would say the graphics are very ugly.. Animations might be good, aspecially cameramovement, but the closeups of sam n max are just awful.. And it feels like there is no detail in the scenes, even though there actually are a lot of details from a 3d point of view.. They should have done it like grim fandango in my opinion, boy would prerendered backgrounds look good with todays rendering-techniques..

And well, yes, I dont like the VO because they are different - they are worse.. If they were differnt but good I would like them, hehe.. Sam´s VO just doesnt sound as engaged as before, and max, well he doesn´t have the cockyness (is that a word?) of the old max, just listen to the intro from hit the road, pure diamonds I say..

Hory

Erudite
It's the textures that are particularly ugly and low-res. A good texture can make a simple 3d model look good, but the opposite is happening in the new Sam & Max.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom