Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Save import in The Witcher 2

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Quick questions. How does the save import work? If you (like me) don't have your original save anymore, will it let you set your choices in the beginning of The Witcher 2? And also are we just talking about the ending and a few other choices that matter or is it a whole bunch of small shit?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
To be honest I haven't noticed anything related to my save so far and i'm in the middle of Chapter 2. Only some lines with Yorveth about Yaevinn, and how I assisted him on Vizima.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
There's a few differences as far as I know, none of which are significant:

1) You carry over certain items from the original, including some of the better swords and Raven's Armour. This gives an advantage early on but otherwise isn't anything special, you get better stuff halfway through the first act.

2) Your choice of lovers might have an impact on how Geralt behaves with Triss, though I could be wrong. I imported a save where I went with Triss and she and Geralt seem pretty close, but she's also the canonical love interest so that may not be the case.

3) Not 100% certain, again, but I think the intro movie reflects the state of the world as it's left based on your save file (mostly just who you sided with).

4) Depending on who you sided with (or perhaps which characters you were friends with?) there will be a few references here and there to them. Nothing major. It's much more pared back than the import features Mass Effect 2 has - you won't see any new side-quests, returning characters don't seem to behave too much differently, etc.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
and if u chose to stay neutral, like i did, you will see no references at all.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well that's the mark of true neutrality, people don't care either. So the lack of references IS in itself a reference. A neutral Geralt wouldn't want anyone having an opinion on anything he did. ;)

Thoric

Novice
Two things i've seen carry over:

Foltest mentions Adda's fate in the beginning, by default she's dead, with import she can be alive and married to Radovid.

If Thaler is alive in your save you get a message and package from him, don't know if you get it by default.
:thumbsup:

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
sea said:
It's much more pared back than the import features Mass Effect 2 has - you won't see any new side-quests, returning characters don't seem to behave too much differently, etc.
Actually, ME2 had new side quests for people that imported a save. I can remember at least one, that is based on the background you chose for Shepard on the ME1 character creation.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Excidium said:
sea said:
It's much more pared back than the import features Mass Effect 2 has - you won't see any new side-quests, returning characters don't seem to behave too much differently, etc.
Actually, ME2 had new side quests for people that imported a save. I can remember at least one, that is based on the background you chose for Shepard on the ME1 character creation.

That's actually what they said... ME2 does more with the imported save game and resulting choices than TW2 does.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
santino27 said:
Excidium said:
sea said:

That's actually what they said... ME2 does more with the imported save game and resulting choices than TW2 does.
Indeed. I Shouldn't post half asleep. :oops:

Gerrard

Arcane
santino27 said:
Excidium said:
sea said:

Yeah, it definitely does give you more emails than TW2 does.

Captain Shrek

Also:

The Knights of Flaming rose acknowledge your choice when they arrive with Radovid.

deuxhero

Arcane
The official forums apparently have a save game section that you can download a replacement via (Which is good news for me when I build a new computer, because I deleted the bloated saves after finishing).

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
deuxhero said:
The official forums apparently have a save game section that you can download a replacement via (Which is good news for me when I build a new computer, because I deleted the bloated saves after finishing).
Forums are down at the moment since they renovated their site and I'm not sure if all the old posts will remain. You should be able to find some save files on GOG.com's forums, though, I came across at least a few threads when hunting them down myself.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
BBBBBBBBBBBUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!

Okay, I though I'd ask again since more of you have had time to play the game, and maybe more than once.

So these are the choices that have been confirmed for me as having an impact in the Witcher 2:

-Who you sided with (Order, squirells, neutral)
-Adda's fate
-Thaler's fate
-Siegfried's fate
-Yaevin's fate?

Those are the only ones confirmed for me. So, what about these other choices:

-Who to send Alvin to. Triss was still pretty pissed at me at the end of the Witcher 1.
-If you ended up going neutral, does it matter which side you picked initially in Chapter 3?
-Fighting or not fighting the Lord of the High Hunt or whatever his name was at the very end. Surely that has to matter?
-Whatever you say to Dandelion at the end when you asks you what you plan on doing next. Is it referenced at all?
-killing or sparing Berengar
-saving Abigail or not?

So, can anyone comment on those? If it's only those things that have been confirmed for me, I should be able to find a save that's specfic enough. If it's lots of smaller shit like Mass Effect 2 though I'd probably need to wait for a save game editor.

Help me out bros.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Pretty sure Triss stuff and Alvin doesn't matter much at all.

I imported a neutral save, and my game seemed to reflect that in what Geralt said of both the Scoi'atel and the Order.

I didn't notice anything regarding the Wild Hunt, and in fact it doesn't appear in the game at all except for a cutscene as far as I know.

Your final response to Dandelion doesn't have much if any impact, maybe one dialogue line in the intro or something.

Abigail is not referenced at all in the game.

Divinity: Original Sin
I remember in my playthrough geralt mentioning White Rayla to that mercenary in front of a tent in henselt's camp, named Adam Pangratt.

Odd that I went neutral in witcher 1, and rayla was one of the sex cards in the last chapters only if you side with the order of flaming rose.

Oh, sigfried makes an appearance if you side with the rose.

MCA
Excidium said:
sea said:

Don't you choose a background in ME2 anyway when you don't import saves?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom