Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Saw Bloodlines at e3

Shevek

Arcane
I got to get a brief (20 minutes or so - devoted more time to this than other titles) look at Bloodlines this e3. The skill set is very robust (even stuff like athletics is in there - good work Troika!) and I like how they implemented player skill in firearms. I regret I didnt get a look at the character creation or special abilities. I still felt they went way overboard on the breasts but this is a minor quibble. I saw basically the same thing they previewed at Gamespot or wherever with gargoyle. I saw another exhibitor showing off some hacking and locking too. The lockpicking seemed pretty straightforward from what I saw (straight skill check - no Wizardry 8 or Anachronox-like minigames). The hacking seemed straightforward too but I really liked the UI on the computer screen you hacked (ala-DOS from the little I saw). Graphically, it was no EQ2 with its gratuitous bumpmapping, but it was quite nice. In short, Im more interesting in this title now.

Non-RPGs to keep an eye on: Evil Genius and Republic Commando. I wasn't very wowed by Stalker but didnt go in to see the Stalker presentation on the single player (just played a bit of typical shooter deathmatch stuff). I saw a nice trailer for Power of Law but it wasn't playable. Empire Earth 2 seemed kinda cool. The next Worms title seems good. I saw some sneaky gameplay in Pirates! and it was good. I played some Full Spectrum Warrior and that was kinda fun (Republic Commando seemed like a less realistic yet much more polished and fun version of this). Im not much as into MMOs as I was but, MMO-fanatics take notice, EQ2, graphically at least, looks quite nice and the screenshots and videos out now simply do not do it justice. I wasn't at e3 for long (was only there for 5 hours roundabout) so I couldn't get a look at all I wanted to see or look at many presentations unfortunately. I got a brief look at Dungeon Lords - unfortunately it was much too brief to get much of an impression. I looked allover for a decent space sim but found nothing - sadly. I wanted to get a look at the Witcher and other rpgs but I couldnt find them (forgot the company's name) and I didnt have an appointment to get to where Bioware was so i couldnt peak at Dragon Age. From the console side, the only thing that took my attention was Xmen Legends but I was not really able to form much of an opinion on it due t lack of time.

EEVIAC

Erudite
I've been interested in Evil Genius for a little while. Republic was sorely under-rated in my opinion, and Dungeon Keeper was/is such a great idea.

dipdipdip

Liturgist
So, what did you think of X-men Legends? It sounds interesting, but you never hear anything about it from Gamespot et al.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Wasn't The Witcher at the BIo booth? So, if you couldn't make it to BIO's booth, no wonder you didn't see the Witcher stuff.

Shevek

Arcane
Well, I saw the Xmen legends trailer and got a short feel (like 5-10 minutes) for its gameplay. The production values are very nice (as far as models, textures, animations, cutscenes, voices, etc go). When you battle (real time), you control one guy at a time and the others in the party do as they please. In some ways, it feels _almost_ Freedom Force-esque (however my time with the title was very short, primarily since I have no plans in owning a console, so Im not sure how good this comparison is) but without the big sprawling levels (I played in some indoor installation - there may very well be some satifying outdoor romps) or the same kinda focus on tactics (could be wrong here). I was just pleased the battle system wasn't Final Fantasy-like as are most console rpgs. The characters level up as they get better at using their powers (Nightcrawler, for example, gets to teleport himself and, as he gets better, can learn to take objects and people with him). Overall, I got a positive impression from my very brief time with the title - though this may be because I used to watch Xmen cartoons when I was younger and I read Xmen comics at a friend's house when I was younger than that. Most console comic book games are pretty bad but this may change that.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Shevek said:
I got to get a brief (20 minutes or so - devoted more time to this than other titles) look at Bloodlines this e3.
What was the dialogue like? Did you get to see any of that? So far, the only screenshot I keep seeing with dialogue is the one with Mrs Big Breasted where your options are between "Yes" and "Yes with angst".

Shevek

Arcane
I don't recall thinking that the dialog was especially limited by any means. I didnt see much dialog this time around (caught the tail end of the gargoyle dialog stuff the exhibitor was going through - so I saw more last e3 with respect to that) but if I remember right there are even clan specific disciplines that will alter dialog choices/success in addition to what stats do. I did catch some dialog with a different Mrs Big Breasted but it seemed ok to me. I could be wrong but I don't think you have much to worry about here.

Also, I dug around and found a nice shot of the Vampire skill screen for those that haven't seen it yet:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/vtmb/scr ... ml?page=47

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
They do have a nice skill set. I'll give 'em that. :cool:

Sigurd

Novice
What is your (damn English for her lack of a second-person plural!) beef with too many big breasted women in a game? Shouldn't ya'll (there it is, heh heh) be used to that by now? Besides the obvious "sex sells" and "14-yearold boys will do anything for boobies," there's also the factor that buxom women are far more fun to depict artistically than their less generously endowed sisters. Being an artist, I can testify to that. And it takes more skill to draw large breasts well, in addition, which makes it a sort of showcase of the artist's talent.

Voss

Erudite
:roll:

Interesting skill set... that has to be the most informative screen shot I've seen to date.
They snipped half the abilities... and give less than half the ability points (if that sheet is complete).
Hmm I can see why some of them got snipped. Either you'll be doing the equivalent by dialogue choices or the 'how the hell would this work in a computer game & still be useful' issue. (particularly performance, expression & law)

Shevek

Arcane
Voss:
Well, it may not have all the skills but I think the skillset is still fairly extensive. Im pretty hyped about it (Occult and Investigation..hehe, I can make an undead Fox Mulder).

Exitium:
I really liked how EQ2 looked. I have some skepticism over whether or not it will be a good game at all (I doubt it) but the graphics seemed quite nice to me when in person. I really think it was the bumpmapping - the effect of it isnt well translated by stills or low res videos. Also, the animation (both cloth effects and avatar movement) was quite nice. I also saw a nice battle with a Balor and the enemy was very well modelled/animated as well.

Sigurd:
Theres big breasts and theres cartoonishly big breasts. I think the breasts here go to the cartoony side of things (just barely). And, well, it seems like all the women I've seen in this game have really big cartoony breasts. There are no even big yet realistically sized breats much less normal breasts to be seen in game. That sorta thing breaks immersion for me but I understand that some stuff has to be done for the almighty dollar and all that.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
It's not that EQ2 looks ugly because of the bumpmapping. It's that it looks ugly in spite of it. The bumpmapping does look good, as do the cloth effects and the animation. I'll give it that. The textures, though - they're freaking horrendous. The models look pretty damned retarded, for lack of a better term. They're uneven and the faces look pretty messed up. There's no joints in the armor at all, so it doesn't even look like armor. It just looks like someone smeared a bumpmap over Playdoh model. The characters faces look like playdoh. That's messed up shit right there.

Shevek

Arcane
Exitium:

Dont laugh but..uh..I like that the faces look like Playdoh. They remind me of claymation - you know, like those Christmas Specials and Gumby. I know..wierd...but the faces are really expressive yet simplistic without being like the derivative anime graphics that are oozing their way into the PC world.

I think the armor is a mixed bag. I really like some of it and some of it I don't like so much. Only a few sets have the Michellin Man look and, well, some armor is supposed to look like that. Overall, I came off with a positive impression of how it looked but I completely understand how some may not like the look of the game.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
This is fuckin nuts
004.jpg

The hair looks fresh out of 3dsmax without any textures, to boot.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
their hair is messed up, man. It looks like plastic.

Personally I like the way the monsters look (like the wolf and the bear) but I don't like the characters. The areas are decent, but they lack individuality. It all just looks like a bunch of random rolling plains with nothing distinctive. Lineage 2 is a lot better in those aspects.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
It's probably the animation - meaning that the hair moves around on its own. Looks pretty bad in stills though, because it reminds me of really poor CGI where hair doesn't move at all.

Megatron

Liturgist
the big-breasted women also go hand in hand with RAR MUSCLES for men in some games too. though i havent seen many body-builders in bloodlines.

Spazmo

Erudite
Megatron said:
though i havent seen many body-builders in bloodlines.

That's because vampires are pasty 90-pound weakling types. The whole gigantic titties thing fits in well with that seduction stuff vampires do.

Sigurd

Novice
I don't think the breasts on the women in Vampire are really that cartoonishly large. They are busty, but not huge. No Lara Crofts there. I know quite a few women who have breasts of that exact size (it seems like a median "almost-large" size to me), and several more quite a bit larger. I'd place those women at around a D-cup or maybe slightly smaller. Well, the Malkavian stripper (with the pink shirt) is probably more like an E or F. The female Brujah PC isn't really that big at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom