Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Searching for a version of Angband

Phelot

Arcane
I'm looking for a version of Angband that I used to play way back in the 90s I believe. It did not have permanent death (yeah yeah I know I'm a pussy) and did not have the outdoor area, just the town and the dungeon.

THe problem is that I can't find it or one similar! I checked Thangorodrim and I have no desire to search the FTP.

Anyone happen to recall which version it would be?

Phelot

Arcane
Whoa. Ultimate pity post to my own thread :(

Does no one still play Angband? Does anyone have any recommendations on a good variant? I'm mostly interested in variants that do not include a wilderness.

Yes, I am aware of Stone Soup and ADOM.

Zomg

Arbiter
Angband used to be Moria/Umoria if that is what you are thinking of, but they were very permadeath

Angband... so terrible though. A game that a bot can beat the majority of the time is a game that will drive a human insane with boredom

ToME is a highly mutated Angband variant kind of sort of but it is in like the opposite direction of what you seem to want (just dungeon and town)

Phelot

Arcane
Yeah, I gave up on the permadeath thing. Don't see why it's considered so boring, though I admit I only play it at work.

I've been playing a bit of zangband, but again the wilderness.

Um... :oops: What exactly is ToME? Tales of Middle Earth or this Tales of Maj'Eyal?

Phelot

Arcane
Figured that, installing now... or whatever it's doing

EDIT: LOL... my work computer can't handle this roguelike :lol:

Back to Angband grinding I guess.

Gregz

Arcane
phelot said:
Figured that, installing now... or whatever it's doing

EDIT: LOL... my work computer can't handle this roguelike :lol:

Back to Angband grinding I guess.

Your OP wasn't very specific, and as far as I recall there are dozens of Angband variants.

Zangband is my personal favorite, as the latest version includes a very nice random artifact generator. I also prefer the greater variety of races as well as the spell system.

As far as permadeath, Zangband has a wizard mode birth option (no perma-death), and you are not in any way required to explore beyond the starter town. You can go from Dlvl 1 to 100 and complete the game just fine without ever having left the starter town.

Most variants have specific differences, is there anything you can recall from your 90s playthrough that's a bit more specific?

Anyway, I've only played a few variants but Zangband is still my favorite, it has a no permadeath option, and offers a fun grind/loot experience.

Phelot

Arcane
My OP is from over a year ago. I was naive back then :lol:

I could have sworn that the starter town in zangband only goes to dungeo lvl 15 or so? I thought that was why I quit it, I went out to try and find other dungeons.

As boring as one dungeon may seem, that is exactly what I am looking for.

As far as my OP, I recall save scumming a lot to avoid death which is pretty lame now that I've started playing again and enjoying the challenge of permadeath. I've been reluctant to go beyond 1000' for fear of critters that can paralyze, but I can't for the life of me find an item of free action.

I'll take another look at zangband as I did enjoy it, but I got turned off by the starter town dungeon level cap, but maybe I was mistaken. Will investigate. Thanks.

Gregz

Arcane
this: said:
My OP is from over a year ago. I was naive back then :lol:

I could have sworn that the starter town in zangband only goes to dungeo lvl 15 or so? I thought that was why I quit it, I went out to try and find other dungeons.

Ah, didn't check the date ;)

My guess is that you are/were thinking of ADoM (Ancient Domains of Mystery). I believe the 1st dungeon goes to 12 or 15 or so, then you need to move across the wilderness to the next quest/dungeon. ADoM has the most RPG elements of any roguelike I've ever seen or heard of, but like you I prefer the simplicity of a dungeon crawler when I want to...play a simple dungon crawler. :M

From your description, I think you'll enjoy Zangband. I've never tried Ironman, and I save-scum and level-scum like a dog for loot. It's very easy to die fast in the Angband varients, some of the more difficult mosters in the lower levels can summon or do 1-shot kill damage you never see coming. Ironman in that kind of environment isn't my idea of fun, but it would certainly offer a challenge.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Nethack? Guessing that's too obvious though.

More parameters would help. Do you want skill systems or no? Persistent levels?

DoomRL, Incursion and BROgue come to mind as single dungeon roguelikes, but they're all fairly different. Though DoomRL might be out for playing at work (sound is fairly important.)

Elona is built around no permadeath (though there are fairly harsh death penalties) but it's way too grindy and random for my tastes.

desocupado

Magister
Reading the feature list for BROgue was like reading the feature list for Crawl. What the hell?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom