Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sector Unknown - A Story-Rich, Isometric RPG Set in A Shadowy Expanse of Space

Litmanen

Educated
Never liked (because I'm inept, honestly) crafting, but I like everything this game is proposing.
Unless game is built around crafting mechanics (Cataclysm: DDA or NEO scavenger, for example), it's usually a bit meh system.
About the systems I've encountered, I cannot say a lot. Be is complex or simple, it has always been a chore for me to bring/find/save all the items I needed for crafting. It takes to much mental effort to think about it, FOR Me, and in same games it is really important.

Aemar

Arcane
Never liked (because I'm inept, honestly) crafting, but I like everything this game is proposing.

It's going directly in the top 3 of my waiting list
Buy Stellar Tactics instead. It's everything this title claims to deliver X10. Also it's a not a cash grab; it's been in development for years now.

Litmanen

Educated

It's going directly in the top 3 of my waiting list
Buy Stellar Tactics instead. It's everything this title claims to deliver X10. Also it's a not a cash grab; it's been in development for years now.
To play Sector Unknown doesn't mean I could not play Stellar Tactics.

But the latter is a sandbox and, for me, "sandbox" and "funny, serious cRPG experience" never add up very well. I fear Stellar Tactis could be just a game where you can visit a lot of different places, where to have to fight a lot of different mobs/enemies/monsters but not really deep in any other aspect. Sector Unknown, on the contrary, seems more like what I'm looking for.

Lastly, If the guy here wants to make money with his job, I'm not against.

CreativeStorm

Creative Storm Entertainment
Developer
Crafting is optional. Just a bit of gameplay to give players an advantage if they choose to pursue, but not mandatory by any stretch of the imagination.

just

Liturgist
do the right thing
select all scenes and scripts containing crafting, press shift+del and then enter

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Devlog: Bounties & Hunting Contracts
A smaller devlog this week.

In Null Sector, a region unmarked on star charts and devoid of formal settlements, inhabitants are continually threatened by both bipedal adversaries and wild beasts. To counteract these dangers, locals sometimes gather their resources to handle a threat beyond their capacity.

be2948659a995445e547df4f820d5cc29b51506d.png

For the enterprising of players, this presents an opportunity for earning additional income. By constructing bounty and hunting terminals within your base, you can access current contracts available online. The bounty terminal lists individuals posing various levels of danger, ranging from minor narcotics traffickers to notorious serial killers.

19f14bf820f4ed357a5876859b0dd87025f2f41d.png

Meanwhile, the hunting terminal offers information on local fauna that can be hunted for a reward. Targets vary from innocuous creatures causing minor nuisances chewing on power cables to dangerous man-eating predators posing serious threats to the sector's residents.

2dc3ea033a2c973e77c75eb5dab2142df013891c.png

Tracking contracts in Null Sector will take some investigation, consisting of a blend of environmental scrutiny and conversations with local inhabitants. Identifying your target is the first step; the real challenge lies in neutralizing them, with the task's difficulty directly tied to their threat level.

62017f0b0ddd3110acba6cb09cd0c44a8bf7d75e.png

The game's research system allows for the unlocking of various threat levels, adding depth to your strategy. While pursuing bounties is optional, successfully completing these missions offers substantial credit rewards, enhancing your resources for other endeavors in the game.

Disclaimer: The portraits and descriptions are still a work in progress.

Sector Unknown

Sector Unknown is the full version of the game and can be seen in the link below.
Don't forget to wishlist and follow for release dates and information!

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2734270/view/4188985962638099202
Devlog: Space Travel
Sector Unknown is host to a variety of different planets that can be travelled to.
Sector Unknown is host to a variety of different planets. Finding yourself stranded on the barren planet of Maku, through playing the story, you will eventually gain ownership of a ship. From there, the stars open up to you with six story planets available to explore and bring under your control, either through diplomacy or force.

eb095c9435b2103057e59136f793ed2cb0e851bd.png

From your base, you choose your ship and pilot—combat success hinges on their piloting skills.

16fca1b987c8080324bff03a50d1507c4ee953b4.png

3ff95c72665b5a088af0020b75ba723a9c32f155.png

Launch into space to investigate your local system, which includes planets ripe for mining. Initially, Maku is the sole story planet, serving as your home base. However, advancing the story unlocks a jump gate to a new system featuring planets like Nabi, a harsh desert world, and Sjo, a shimmering aquatic planet, each with their own settlements.

03e97db8a021a84e47111cd75d5cf91ab3f20077.png

Each system has their own jump gates, guarded by the oppressive Star Frontier, and must be conquered and claimed for use. The star combat system is still being worked on, so I don't have a lot to show there yet, but you will occasionally be able to interdict both Star Frontier and pilot vessels through combat, pacifying your systems and controlling traffic in and out of each.

688e19f8cb0c1cb340743106d50f6ca56015231c.png

Sector Unknown, once removed from star charts by the resource-greedy Star Frontier, is a critical battleground. These planets and stations, once under your control, are crucial in your mission to expel Star Frontier from the sector.

More to come!

rojay

Scholar
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2734270/view/4188985962638099202
Devlog: Space Travel
Sector Unknown is host to a variety of different planets that can be travelled to.
Sector Unknown is host to a variety of different planets. Finding yourself stranded on the barren planet of Maku, through playing the story, you will eventually gain ownership of a ship. From there, the stars open up to you with six story planets available to explore and bring under your control, either through diplomacy or force.

eb095c9435b2103057e59136f793ed2cb0e851bd.png

From your base, you choose your ship and pilot—combat success hinges on their piloting skills.

16fca1b987c8080324bff03a50d1507c4ee953b4.png

3ff95c72665b5a088af0020b75ba723a9c32f155.png

Launch into space to investigate your local system, which includes planets ripe for mining. Initially, Maku is the sole story planet, serving as your home base. However, advancing the story unlocks a jump gate to a new system featuring planets like Nabi, a harsh desert world, and Sjo, a shimmering aquatic planet, each with their own settlements.

03e97db8a021a84e47111cd75d5cf91ab3f20077.png

Each system has their own jump gates, guarded by the oppressive Star Frontier, and must be conquered and claimed for use. The star combat system is still being worked on, so I don't have a lot to show there yet, but you will occasionally be able to interdict both Star Frontier and pilot vessels through combat, pacifying your systems and controlling traffic in and out of each.

688e19f8cb0c1cb340743106d50f6ca56015231c.png

Sector Unknown, once removed from star charts by the resource-greedy Star Frontier, is a critical battleground. These planets and stations, once under your control, are crucial in your mission to expel Star Frontier from the sector.

More to come!
Instead of "Sector Unknown is host to a variety of different planets that can be travelled to.
Sector Unknown is host to a variety of different planets. Finding yourself stranded on the barren planet of Maku, through playing the story, you will eventually gain ownership of a ship. From there, the stars open up to you with six story planets available to explore and bring under your control, either through diplomacy or force."

How about: "In Sector Unknown you find yourself stranded on the desert planet Maku. From there, once you find a ship of your own, the stars open up to you with six story planets available to explore and bring under your control, either through diplomacy or by force."

Don't mean to be a dick, but as the scorpion told the frog as they sank beneath the water, it is my nature.

CreativeStorm

Developer
Fair enough, I think yours reads better. Think I'll make that change.
Truth be told, I can't stand writing these devlogs when I could be coding instead.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Truth be told, I can't stand writing these devlogs when I could be coding instead.
In what programming language do you code, do you use AI coding copilot and how much AI tools help you in generation of game assets (concept art, voice overs, 3D models, animation, AI for in-game factions etc)? You already have my respect

I'm learning C++, already reasonably fluent in JavaScript, PHP and Python

rojay

Scholar
Glad to help. I used to write about food and restaurants as a side-hustle and I always benefitted from an editor.

CreativeStorm

Developer
In what programming language do you code, do you use AI coding copilot and how much AI tools help you in generation of game assets (concept art, voice overs, 3D models, animation, AI for in-game factions etc)? You already have my respect

I'm learning C++, already reasonably fluent in JavaScript, PHP and Python

Thanks. I code in C# now and most of my games are in Unity, but my first game was in C++ using an engine I cobbled together from a book. What a mistake. I coded Age of Gladiators while learning C++, first version was a text only game that ran in the compiler (press B to buy a gladiator, M to enter a match, etc.) and then it sort of expanded from there.

I don't really use AI at this point except for the odd things like to check some of my grammar with the in-game writing/dialogue or for the odd piece of stand-in artwork until I can get it replaced.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom