Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Interview Sensuki Interviews Josh Sawyer about Pillars of Eternity

Shannow

Waster of Time
Not to criticise you, just something I notice again and again:
A good interview should be:

Good question 1.
Answer 1.
In depth question about answer 1. (if required)
Answer 1.1
In depth question about answer 1.1. (if required)
Repeat as often as required.
Good question 2.
and so on.

Sure, that's very rare in journalism in general and the only interviewees who put up with that are those who severely need the publicity (or those who are proud of their products). This is usually not the case with leading devs from middle to major studios who can take their pick from slobberin, yes-men gaming "journos".
But this kind of good interview is usually not even possible with the "send in questions". Which is the reason I don't like them. But I did like your additional info. Creepy stalker obsessive behavior is good for journalism ;)

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Shannow

Yeah you're definitely right about Q&A stuff like this, but unfortunately the Codex does not often get to do real time interviews. I would love to do an audio interview in the future where I could get the opportunity to do something like that and then transcribe it.

cpmartins

Cipher
Very good read, a lot of things not found on the mainstream coverage. Never knew talents were that game-changing, even warranting a late-development schedule as not to completely break the intended balance, although Sniper (perks count as talents?) did change the game in a huge way for me in Fallout 2.

Also is rope kid Josh? I'd been following the thread on SA and knew he was involved, but not the man himself.

Haven't read so good interview in quite some time. All questions are throughly thought out. It's so unfair to criticize Sensuki for not doing it live...

Overboard

Arcane
I would love to do an audio interview in the future where I could get the opportunity to do something like that and then transcribe it.

Misery-at-Unsung-Films1.jpg

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Why would you care if the text is provided? (with an opportunity to have back and forth about a question).

I'm not Guy Cocker.

Shannow

Waster of Time
I don't think, that was a criticism of your aims, more a codex-way to say :love:

If you don't know the movie, the adress gives a hint. (Basically it's the same bad joke I made in my first post ITT.)

Sensuki

Arcane
Yeah what movie is that? Reminds me of Matilda

e: ah, Misery. Nah haven't seen it. After reading the synopsis, I think I get it now ;)

Watch out Obsidian if you don't use IE style selection circles ...

:australia:

Last edited:

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
given the game's intentional accessibility, its tried-and-true writing staff and the fact that the new Divinity is somehow STILL on top of Steam's lists, I'm pretty sure PoE is going to shake the earth. would not be surprised if it lead to a serious paradigm shift in big-name game development.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If you want to know, they ran out of money in the last act as always.
I don't get that impression at all. There's one boss fight I don't particularly like, but other than that it's fine, especially narrative-wise.

Rake

Arcane
If you want to know, they ran out of money in the last act as always.
I don't get that impression at all. There's one boss fight I don't particularly like, but other than that it's fine, especially narrative-wise.
Narrative wise, while not bad, it was simple and unambitious, so no wonder they pulled it off.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Narrative wise, while not bad, it was simple and unambitious, so no wonder they pulled it off.
It was pretty banal, but it was also thematically consistent and had a lot of genuine gray morality from both protagonists and antagonists. Much better written than NWN2 OC or SoZ.

Rake

Arcane
It was pretty banal, but it was also thematically consistent and had a lot of genuine gray morality from both protagonists and antagonists. Much better written than NWN2 OC or SoZ.
:lol: That's not exactly a high bar. Next you will tell me that Jayne was better than modern Bioware's antagonists. If it was worse we would have a problem

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I wish you'd had asked if the scripting language has loops (for iterating over collections, like the party npcs, the visible enemies etc).

This is the main reason why there is no mod for 'more than 6 characters' in baldurs gate. The mass of scripts that just go 'do X for party member 1 if it exists'... 'do X for party member 6 if it exists'.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom