Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowbane dying?

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
shadowbane is gay and deserves to die

DarkSign

Erudite
Wow. You must play a lot of PvP :)

Level of communication is done through voice chat like TeamSpeak or Trillian. When raid leaders are commanding 40-60 people giving different groups detailed orders and coordinating the main assault, a defensive position, the dead returning to battle, scouting various locations, AND a flanking move at the same time...it takes intelligence and strategy.

When politics of location really matter and guilds betray long-term allies based on critical factors, again intelligence comes in to play.

Slag it all you want, you just arent willing to put in the time to learn what its all about. You hate MMOs and you're not willing to delay your immediate gratification.

Oh well.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
He must be a Halo fan then...
Anyway, gotta agree with Darksign on this one. I really enjoyed the game, and will be starting it up shortly, so now worries.

MINIGUNWIELDER

Scholar
St. Toxic said:
Just do it man. Anyways, the game seems to be totally shit alrite, and the people playing it are quite generic -- I'd say worse than the Anarchy Online population, and they were pretty gosh darn crap as well. I'm not sure what kind of "strategic pvp" bonanza awaits after the trial of "LOWL NEWB ISLE", but I think I won't enjoy it. Uninstallation estimate: tops 48 hours.

Warrior Vampire Varlet on Vindiction, lvl 9 or 7 or whatever.

Nation Building, TsOL, Trebuchets launching alchemists fire at the inn you are sleeping in, guild alliances, errant guilds in your service, the list goes on.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Well, it's wiped now anyway. Clans jacking me up to lvl 75 in 2 days, following predefined builds to get the most out of my character and hanging around on teamspeak going "LOWL LESS RAID GUUYZZ" is just not my forté.

Slag it all you want, you just arent willing to put in the time to learn what its all about. You hate MMOs and you're not willing to delay your immediate gratification.

I read your quick ( super quick ) explanation of how the game works, and gave away a couple of hours to master the controls and get to level 11 -- I'm sure that counts for something. From what I gathered playtesting it wouldn't be worth any further invested time, so that's that. I've previously spent quite some time playing Ultima Online, so I guess what I expect in an mmo is a moderately early stat/skill limit with countless setup combinations and major roleplaying interactions between player characters.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
When I get on soon enough, I will fuck all of you up. Minotaur Warrior w/Polearm skill, maxed constitution and incredibly high strength, plus an INT of 60. Now that is hardcore.

BenSBG

Novice
Shadowbane

Interesting thread. I found the Codex when doing a Google search and ended up registering.

First a bit of history on Shadowbane (aka SB) since some of that was touched on and to let you know who I am:

Shadowbane was developed by Wolfpack Studios (aka WP). They had a great idea for a niche game in the MMO space, one that focused on PVP and city building.

Ubisoft, the North American publisher bought WP about two years ago. A few months ago they decided to get out of the MMO market (they do PC games, but are really a console game company at heart) and they closed WP. This is about the time SB went 'free'. Two weeks later Stray Bullet Games or SBG opened up. Ubisoft hired us to continue to support SB in a limited way.

What sucks:

WP didnt have a UI guy. That is what created the "unique" game controls. Graphics were intentionally dumbed down so that gameing rooms in the Asian market could be included. The leveling grind.

What rocks:

SB is intensly fun for those that enjoy hardcore PVP. Rich
character development allows for a multitude of effective (or gimped!) templates. Building your own town just how you want it. Pretty good balance between classes/races. The ability to 'untrain' or 'respec' if you screw up your template. Dropping a "bane stone," building Trebuchets (catapults) and burning down the other guys town just because one of his dweebs called you a name.

SB's focus on PVP with a high penalty for loosing a Bane fight makes the game not suited to everyone. If you want carebear go for WoW. If you want hardcore PVP go for SB.

If you're new to SB maybe you should give the Test server a try. It can get wiped from time to time, and sometimes has funked up code on it, but the experience and gold rates are much, much higher than the "live" servers. Plus it currently has a "Rune Shack" in one of my towns (Ben's 2, its Open) so you can get any discipline or stat rune you want for free--if you dont get ganked, that is.

Getting access to the Test server requires edits to two files. Easy enough, and there are posts on the Ubi forums on how to do it: http://ubbforums.ubi.com/showflat.php?C ... =7&fpart=1

Where to dl SB: http://ubbforums.ubi.com/showflat.php?C ... =7&fpart=1[/url]http://ubbforums.ubi.com/showflat.p...782709&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=1

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I'm gonna start it up tonight. I'm on Vindication (I think) the first server available. Anyway, my character's name is Kathal, Eater of Young. Minotaur, gonna make him a warrior w/heavy duty polearm abilities so he'll have good damage, plus he'll be able to tank w/the best of them.

Rulion

Liturgist
I'll be back in the States in the beginning of August, so I'll join you guys then! Normally I use Ventrillo, not TeamSpeak, but if you get the okay from your buddies, Darksign, give us the connection info.

So what server are we congregating in? Somebody needs to be the Decision Maker (tm). I can't wait to spend hours of my day following Shag's virtual character and protecting him from danger. Every battle we face, no matter how small, will have my guy screaming, "Run and save yourself! I'll hold it off!"

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Rulion said:
I can't wait to spend hours of my day following Shag's virtual character and protecting him from danger. Every battle we face, no matter how small, will have my guy screaming, "Run and save yourself! I'll hold it off!"
:lol:

Alas, I doubt you'll get the opportunity.
Tried dloading SB recently, but it quit at 99% and wouldn't resume.
I doubt I have the time anyway.

Rulion

Liturgist
Shagnak said:
Rulion said:
I can't wait to spend hours of my day following Shag's virtual character and protecting him from danger. Every battle we face, no matter how small, will have my guy screaming, "Run and save yourself! I'll hold it off!"
:lol:

Alas, I doubt you'll get the opportunity.
Tried dloading SB recently, but it quit at 99% and wouldn't resume.
I doubt I have the time anyway.
:( :( :(

I'll make a character on Vindication when I get home. So...in a little over a week. I'll probably make a warrior-type.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom