Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter Update #6: Campaign passes $1mil, 13 days to go

Antares

Novice
http://game-in-bed.tumblr.com/post/21385990305/jordan-weisman-on-padinga
Write in question – Will building breechings . i.e – breaking down the walls, or coming in through the roof, be viable options?
”Yeah, we certainly hope to have that kind of tactical interactive battlefield. I don’t think we’ll be at a situation like X-com was. The entire world is not damageable, or changeable, but we will hopefully be able to create a clearly identifiable class of things that can be affected so you can do that kind of thing.”

Questions – What era will it take place in? Is the player character going to be like Jake (SNES) where you get to be a little of everything, or do you pick a class and then hire people?
”The game will be set in the 2050’s timeframe. It’s a good intro to the world and it is kind of acting like a relaunch of the franchise so we feel it’s a good place to start, and then we’ll start moving downstream from there.”

“We don’t want to go where Jake was. Jake was kind of a master of all trades which was not really something you could do in the world. There was some bending of the rules. Here the idea is that you will have a character that you will be building and developing and making character choices for. And that character will be moving down the lines of one of the major directions we will have in the game at that time. Street Samurai, Decker, Combat Made, Shaman or Rigger. When you get a job from a Mr. Johnson, you’ll then build the rest of the team around you appropriately for that. The other shadowrunners you can hire will come from NPCs, but they also can come from your friends. Your friends are building characters too. And whether they are online or off, you can hire your friends’ characters to come with you. And if your job is successful, when they log back in, there will be a nice little pile of Nuyen for them while they were offline.”

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Needs open ended character development. I can't imagine just picking a class in Shadowrun.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
But he has stated what they are gonna do! I think he has at least.

In the Padinga Interview
http://padinga.com/2012/04/17/the-g...ew-featuring-shadowrun-returnsjordan-weisman/
transcribed here http://game-in-bed.tumblr.com/post/21385990305/jordan-weisman-on-padinga
Jordan Weisman stated:
“This is a quazi-isometric view… I guess it would be similar to what you saw in the SNES title…not 16bit graphics, but from a perspective standpoint. Or the other comparison we’ve touched on is an old PC game called X-com, where if you have to conjure 1 image of the game we are going for. It’s very tactical, it’s a little farther pulled back from the SNES where you can actually control a party of players and one of the things we’ve talked about a bunch is that in Shadowrun the skills that your character has allows them to see the world and interact with the world in very different ways. Like the Street Samurai is the master of physical combat and he can see the aspects of the world that can be used in that physical weapon combat realm vs. the Shaman who can see the Astral Plane and see another reality overlayed over the physical world. Or the Decker who can see the electrical and matrix control lines that connect all the different pieces together that they might be able to manipulate to change things on the battlefield, or in the environment. So the idea is to let the player use the different eyes, or different perspectives, of the different characters to really create a very rich tactical environment and hopefully doesn’t just come to play when, as they say in Shadowrun, the Drek hits the fan, but also during that legwork part, when you are doing your mystery dynamic, to figure out where to go.”
”So its kind of a bit of a throwback, but a very modern take on an older genre.”

and in this interview he states that they will rip off the dialog system from snes with keywords? that you can ask about?
http://jchutchins.net/site/2012/04/04/podcast-interview-with-jordan-weisman-on-shadowrun-returns/

He really seems like a cool guy that has done lot's of cool stuff + the team isn't half bad

it has the possibility to be really cool imo

PS first real post kind of - be nice to me if I fuck up something please!

This could become really good. If they could come up with some nice concept screens it will be clearer. But my pledge will stand for sure after what I have heard.

http://game-in-bed.tumblr.com/post/21385990305/jordan-weisman-on-padinga
Write in question – Will building breechings . i.e – breaking down the walls, or coming in through the roof, be viable options?
”Yeah, we certainly hope to have that kind of tactical interactive battlefield. I don’t think we’ll be at a situation like X-com was. The entire world is not damageable, or changeable, but we will hopefully be able to create a clearly identifiable class of things that can be affected so you can do that kind of thing.”

Questions – What era will it take place in? Is the player character going to be like Jake (SNES) where you get to be a little of everything, or do you pick a class and then hire people?
”The game will be set in the 2050’s timeframe. It’s a good intro to the world and it is kind of acting like a relaunch of the franchise so we feel it’s a good place to start, and then we’ll start moving downstream from there.”

“We don’t want to go where Jake was. Jake was kind of a master of all trades which was not really something you could do in the world. There was some bending of the rules. Here the idea is that you will have a character that you will be building and developing and making character choices for. And that character will be moving down the lines of one of the major directions we will have in the game at that time. Street Samurai, Decker, Combat Made, Shaman or Rigger. When you get a job from a Mr. Johnson, you’ll then build the rest of the team around you appropriately for that. The other shadowrunners you can hire will come from NPCs, but they also can come from your friends. Your friends are building characters too. And whether they are online or off, you can hire your friends’ characters to come with you. And if your job is successful, when they log back in, there will be a nice little pile of Nuyen for them while they were offline.”

Again, this sounds really like a game I like to be made.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Those bros should answer our interview, earn them some Codex karma points :obviously:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Needs open ended character development. I can't imagine just picking a class in Shadowrun.
Well, to me it was always sort of leaning on the fence between class-based and open development. You had the archetypes and if you wandered completely off them, your character probably wasn't very efficient at all. On the other hand, there was quite a bit of freedom to customize that character and to make them out from all the other archetypes plus going hybrid was always a possibility - a burned out mage was an interesting play experience, trying to find a tricky balance between getting more useful cyber and not burning out those last two points of Magic.

almondblight

Arcane
I'm with Antares here, we already know a lot about this game, much more than we do about Wasteland 2. My biggest concern is whether or not they can pull it off in the short time frame, not what they're aiming for.

What are you guys still unclear about? The only big thing I wonder about now is if it will have a strict mission structure (like Blades of Exile) or a more sandbox type approach. Honestly, though, I'd be happy with either.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I think the open world nature of the Genesis version was pretty cool, but it was too early and people didn’t really know how to do open world stories
:retarded:

The Genesis Shadowrun was released in 1994. I don't think he's ever played any PC RPGs (at least none released before 1994).

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well, to me it was always sort of leaning on the fence between class-based and open development. You had the archetypes and if you wandered completely off them, your character probably wasn't very efficient at all. On the other hand, there was quite a bit of freedom to customize that character and to make them out from all the other archetypes plus going hybrid was always a possibility - a burned out mage was an interesting play experience, trying to find a tricky balance between getting more useful cyber and not burning out those last two points of Magic.

To me, managing nuyen, essence, and skill points was the strongest aspect of the game. It wasn't too hard to mix a little Decker into a character build if that's what I wanted to do. Also, a setting like Shadowrun is missing a golden opportunity, since the technology would actually allow for respecing a character, albeit at a premium cost. I also liked how being a metahuman was harder at first but could pay dividends in the long run. I mostly played 2ed, and thought the character building was almost perfect. I'm not sure why they would fuck with it, since a noob would be fine by just picking an archetype.

Apparently Tim Cain applied for a job at a small start-up in Seattle 2011 but the position wouldn't begin until April 2012. (page 105)
In the book he's thinking about it ... :)

http://books.google.ch/books?id=lroZsP4zyIYC&pg=PA93&lpg=PA93&dq=Gamer's at work tim cain&source=bl&ots=K8MU3lwCiU&sig=lbxvqk5_w4-i0WFh488r5QVp4t8&hl=de&sa=X&ei=5dZ5T8iUIsTsObb-zOAN&ved=0CEkQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=Gamer's at work tim cain&f=false

You mean THE Tim Cain could actually come work for Harebrained Schemes? And work on Shadowrun Returns? o_O

Burning Bridges

I don't think so. If he was still available wouldnt they be goin "ANNNNND at 1,5 million .. WE BE HIRING TIM CAIN!!" ?

Burning Bridges

It's starting to become really amusing when he keeps calling the backers "Shadowrun Fans".

I am for example a backer and I haven't played 1 minute of shadowrun in my life :lol:

I am just a fan of games with isometric perspective, turn based combat, rpg stats and science fiction settings.

I can't even be assed to read the background story, just waiting for the funding to end and the first sketches etc to appear.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Damn this promise of an incline! Damn it all to HELL! I mean it couldn't happen while I was in Australia with a fucking job, oh no...all these KS bastards decide to start their thing when I'm Poor as Fuck(tm)! I would have wanted boxed version with goodies and maybe the sig edition of WS, Obsidian KS, Tex Murphy etc. but noooo, I'm reduced to having to decide whether I can even go for the lowest fucking tier!

BWAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!

It's starting to become really amusing when he keeps calling the backers "Shadowrun Fans".

I am for example a backer and I haven't played 1 minute of shadowrun in my life :lol:

I am just a fan of games with isometric perspective, turn based combat, rpg stats and science fiction settings.

I can't even be assed to read the background story, just waiting for the funding to end and the first sketches etc to appear.

+1

That's what worries me, that perhaps he doesn't understand that there are a lot of backers with background like this, and they donated because they want an rpg in a cool sci-fi setting, that it's not good enough for them to get something "casual" just because it is OMG SHADOWRUN.

commie: welcome to the real world :p

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah well, reality is working out well for Richie Rich(mindx2) here(assuming he's on the level and not being pathetic). Even has support from his wife for such 'childish' pursuits!

I must have been a miserly Jew(is there any other kind?) in a past life to be cursed so now...

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
That's what worries me, that perhaps he doesn't understand that there are a lot of backers with background like this, and they donated because they want an rpg in a cool sci-fi setting, that it's not good enough for them to get something "casual" just because it is OMG SHADOWRUN.
Yeah, and Brian Fargo should understand that a lot of Wasteland 2 backers never played the original but donated because they like Fallout 3 and modern "RPGs" and it's not good enough for them to get something "hardcore" just because it's OMG WASTELAND.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah well, reality is working out well for Richie Rich(mindx2) here(assuming he's on the level and not being pathetic). Even has support from his wife for such 'childish' pursuits!

I must have been a miserly Jew(is there any other kind?) in a past life to be cursed so now...
I'm a CAPITALIST, you commie bastard... my gain is your loss. I'll send you pics of my cool old school boxes from DF, W2, and SR when they come in.:smug:

Just teasing you bro ;)

Yeah, and Brian Fargo should understand that a lot of Wasteland 2 backers never played the original but donated because they like Fallout 3 and modern "RPGs" and it's not good enough for them to get something "hardcore" just because it's OMG WASTELAND.

Fargo clearly said who he is making the game for. Now if you'd rather have a casual Shadowrun game, ok. But I think most of the Shadowrun fans would like a proper rpg. Especially here on the Codex.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom