Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun SNES - Kitsune Guide

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
So chummer, you've finished Shadowrun and are now looking for extra challenge? How about keeping Kitsune alive and with you all the way to the end? IMPOSSIBRU? NO!

Quite like Fallout, it is entirely possible to finish the game alone and trying to keep a companion alive to the end actually gives you an extra challenge. Even though Kitsune is a Foxgirl, at least she's smarter and more useful than Dogmeat, so it's not quite as difficult to keep her alive. Read on for my take on it. Spoilers ahoy, obviously.

Firstly, the pros:
  1. She's the 2nd best magician you can hire in-game
  2. Killing the Rat Shaman while she's with you will make her stay with you, for ever, as long as she's alive
  3. Her default attack costs no MP, so while it's not very effective, she can always help out a little
  4. Her Heal spell is very, very effective
  5. Her Summon Spirit is very, very effective as it's non-LOS and thus hits every enemy on that level/screen
  6. Foxy shapeshifter girl in miniskirt and tank top! What else do you want?
Then, the cons:
  1. She only has 50 HP
  2. Her strength of 1 means she can only wear the weakest armour
  3. She doesn't heal herself on her own
Obviously, the pros outweigh the cons!

So, while you cannot use karma to improve her, you can Give her the Leather Armour you find in the first neighbourhood. To really save money, wear that until you find the Mesh Armour at Dark Blade, then pass Leather to Kitsune. It's not very difficult to keep going though she's unarmoured and you only have shitty Leather at that point. Giving her guns is useless. Giving her any other armour is possible but she cannot wear them. It is possible to give her targeting orders in combat but this is, in most cases, not necessary.

Then, the "dungeons":

Rat Shaman Sewers:

Very simple and straightforward. Just remember to use Select key to check on her HP occasionally and use the Use icon on her to make her cast Heal on herself if she gets low, <20. When you hit the Shaman, have Kitsune cast Summon Spirit. This should kill all the rats and weaken the shaman. You can then finish him off with your trusty shotgun. If you have Body 6 and Firearms 6, this place is easy enough.

Darkblade Club:

Ground level is easy enough, though the Samurai Warriors love to target Kitsune. To minimize her death risk, have her cast Invisibility immediately after entering a room. She can keep fighting while invisible but all the enemies will target you instead. Note that Invisibility is cancelled when you change zones/screens, so there's no "pre-buffing" in Shadowrun.

When you get to the dungeon, just keep running through, don't engage the ghouls. Kitsune will teleport to you once you've moved far enough. On the lowest level, immediately have her cast Invisibility, as the ghouls will otherwise zero on her, finishing her off quickly. When she is invisible, they will all target you but you can just step back on the stairs as their reach isn't long enough and they can't climb. If Vladimir doesn't show up quickly enough, re-cast Invisibility. Otherwise handle as normally. If you want to harvest Karma, have Kitsune use Summon Spirit on the ghouls while invisible. Just be careful she doesn't run out of MP.

Bremerton:

The first place where you might really have some trouble. The ship areas aren't difficult at all, just remember to heal Kitsune yourself. Heal 2 heals her for 30 HP, so you can save her MP for healing yourself and summoning Fox. Careful with the oozes though, Kitsune does not know to run away from them, so if she teleports to you when you are next to one, she can get easily killed.

The astral plane is where the difficulty kicks in. Don't let the zombies chew her while you deal with the Naga, unless you have the Reflex implant and high enough Firearms skill so that the Naga goes down quickly. The bubbles are easy enough - Kitsune will stop safely away from them and hurl Powerballs, so you can run through at the proper times. Heal up afterwards, as it's time for Jester Spirit. You can avoid most of the flames coming your way and as you get close enough, cast Invisibility and then have her spam Summon Spirit - it does 17-20 points of damage, whereas your shotgun does 3-5 points!

Drake Tower:

If you have been frugal, you should have enough money now to get Dermal Armour from Dr.Maplethorpe. Which will help since your shotgun will not take the baddies down in Drake Tower very quickly, so you'll end up soaking quite a bit of damage. Again, the main problem is that the enemies will happily target Kitsune over you. So, on floors 1-4, it's best to immediately run around the corner, so that most, if not all, enemies can't target either one of you. Then, heal Kitsune and yourself if needed, cast Summon Spirit, cast Invisibility and mop up. On levels 5 and 6, the layout is slightly different, so just run ahead and get Kitsune invisible ASAP. Remember to heal her up before progressing to the next level, including the roof - it sucks getting to the roof and having Kitsune gunned down by the sentry guns and then having your last save state before clearing level 6.

Drake Volcano:

Now this place is truly a challenge to keep Kitsune alive. The trolls can kill her in under five seconds. If you can afford it, after buying HK.277 and Partial Body suit, bring other bullet sponges along, like Hamfist and Orifice. There's nothing very special about clearing the levels - keep Kitsune invisible as much as possible, gun the trolls down and use Summon Spirit to deal with the scientists manning the big guns, especially if have trouble targeting them.
Drake is a bitch to kill. Casting Armour on yourself helps you to avoid the Freezes. Keeping Kitsune invisible at all times is a must. Augmenting Jester Spirit's attack with Kitsune's Summon Spirit while you blast him with your assault rifle is the way to go. After Jester is finished, switch to dropping max-level Freeze on Drake. This can be a very frustrating fight, but keep at it!

Aneki Building:

Nothing special here. Just keep Kitsune invisible at all times, heal her up when necessary and spam her Spirit Summon. Bringing other Runners along is also a good idea if you can afford it after buying the Assault Cannon and the Full Bodysuit. Just like in Drake Tower, heal before progressing to the next level.

Happy Running with Kitsune!

PS. No, no sex scenes with her, not even a kiss. It's a Nintendo game, remember.

Modron

Arcane
No-one has any altering tactics they've used? Or has no-one else bothered to keep Kitsune alive? :D

The aspies must be on different timezones than you; more on topic I have been meaning to replay this game as I do not really remember shit about the last time i played in the windows 98 era so perhaps I might (oh god I have a terrible steam and gog backlog).

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Tried, but she always died on the Aneki building upper levels. Raged; brought in the orifice.

In fact *all* of my runners always died on the last fight.

They are completely different games, listing the differences would be harder than just letting you play it a little. I have only played the SNES version until the cage fight part (couldn't beat the boss), but it was p. cool.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I like both, but yeah, different games using the franchise namedrop.

Genesis one, although theoretically replayable due to random quest generator, annoyed me in the middle-last part (gigantic mazes)
Snes one has one or two ridiculous exploits (from infinite enemies), one of which will get you killed sometimes, another that is almost completely risk free (but very late in the game).

Both have clusterfuck combat, but IIRC genesis one had auto-aim at least.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
What are the main differences between the Snes and Mega Drive versions? I've only played the latter and hear it was the better of the two, is the Snes game worth a go?
Yeah, completely different games. It's worth it to play them both since we're not really drowning in Shadowrun games to begin with.

Tried, but she always died on the Aneki building upper levels. Raged; brought in the orifice.

In fact *all* of my runners always died on the last fight.
You got past Drake! You can do anything! :dance:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
To be honest, i think that lack of levelling for companions kinda ruined the game a bit. There is all this stuff that is useless to buy in the shops because of that - it seems they just dropped the planned feature, especially considering the awkward npc equip option.
Wouldn't mind a romhack for that.

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Definitely worth playing both. Your preference will probably depend on how much you care about the story. The genesis one was more interesting in terms of character/party building and the hacking portion of the game was far superior to the SNES version. The SNES had a better main plot though; the keyword conversation and investigation based plotline were much more fun than that of the Genesis version. Combat in both was kind of shitty, but I think the Genesis version has a slight edge there.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
You got past Drake! You can do anything! :dance:
Try Arcus Odyssey with the archer girl for your daily genesis masochism session; be ready for lots of raging.
Chakan the forevar man works too.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Seeing a site with a list of unreleased snes games.
http://www.snescentral.com/unreleased.php

Gems such as:
screen01.gif

Or
screen01.png

Also learned that there was a snes port of shadow of the beast uh:
screen04.png

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Oh and a good tip for grinding karma & money: Vlamidir respawns every time you go through the Jester's Astral Space hideout. Each kill is worth 4 Karma and 5,000 nyen. Plus the karma you get from the random kills while running between Dark Blade and Bremerton. I prefer this method over ghoul shooting.

http://www.snescentral.com/article.php?id=0132

Might & Magic II: Gate To Another World
This game was released in Japan in Europe, but it doesn't seem that it was released in North America. The game was reviewed in EGM, and got mediocre reviews, so the game was likely canned for that reason

Early signs of decline? Dunno. I don't think anyone cares that much about M&M2, even you guys.

anus_pounder

Arcane
SCO said:
Seeing a site with a list of unreleased snes games.
http://www.snescentral.com/unreleased.php

Gems such as:
screen01.gif

Damn, that's some incredible shit. There's a demo leaked in the net. Here's a playthrough, where you, as Steven Seagal, beat the crap out of some random miners, mechanics and scientists :lol: :

I wish I could brofist this more than once. :bro:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom