Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sheep in need of guidance

So, which would you recommend?

• Sid Meier's Pirates!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Codename: Panzers

• StarCraft

• Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War

• Armies of Exigo

• Warcraft 3

• Total voters

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
I can only afford one of the above, so which would you recommend? Feel free to consider expansion packs for the games that have them as well if I forgot to mention any (ie, Starcraft Battle Chest which includes its expansion, not just Starcraft itself). I'm not looking at anything too specific here, just basically:

• Works under Windows XP with minimum to no tweaking necessary.
  • Is fun, easy to get going, and provides a good challenge.
  • No need for great graphics. Anything from X-Com and up is fine with me.
  • Long singleplayer campaign, no immediate interest in multiplayer campaign, mission-building tools not necessary at all (but a good option to have nonetheless).

Speaking of which, I'm curious about this title, Warhammer Universe. It's a compilation of four Warhammer titles: Chaos Gate, Dark Omen, Final Liberation, and Shadow of the Horned Rat. I only know Chaos Gate out of those, 'twas a nifty title which I spend quite some time with. Opinions?

Spazmo

Erudite
Well, StarCraft Battle Chest is probably the best bang for your buck if you're a single player man. Besides, it just ought to be played, really.

Talorc

Liturgist
I have only got one of the games on your list - WH40k - Dawn of War.

Its quite enjoyable - but I am going to vote against it. You have basically said that the quality of the single player is your main consideration (I suspect all the titles listed meet your first 3 requirements), and single player for WH40K:DW is just a bit on the short side. I think there is something like 12 mission tops. It only took me a few days to finish it. Plus I am a horrid "base turtler" when it comes to RTS, and like to fully ramp up the tech tree before I even think of attacking. So it usually takes me ages to finish a RTS game.

There is not a great deal of replay value either, as you can only play as the Space Marines in single player, which is a shame. The missions are not that exciting that you want to play them again - and the tactics dont really vary. It really should have come with at least 2 campaigns (Space Marines + another race).

Its certainly not a bad game - it just doesnt offer much "bang for your buck" in terms of Single Player content. Especially considering it is probably closer to full price than the other games on your list

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Starcraft, hands down. It's full of that blizzard magic touch and can keep you occupied for weeks. Pirates is my second pick, great game, just hasn't got that much replay value.

Fez

Erudite
Dark Omen and Shadow of the Horned Rat are great fun, that price is a bit much for ancient games though. If you can get it for a better price you could consider it.

Out of the list I'd probably go with Starcraft and DoW second to it.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I'm a sucker for the Warhammer universe. I played Chaos Gate, Shadow of the Horned Rat and Final Liberation and all of them were good games (Final Liberation was a WH40K turn-based strategy game). I have no idea if the last two work on XP, though.
The new Pirates game isn't so breathtaking as the original and imo has less magic.
The pathfinding in Starcraft was downright atrocious and was the main reason I stopped playing it after a few missions.

But, if you already have Chaos Gate, I'd say that the price for the WH Universe is too high.

z3r'0'

Liturgist
Starcraft Battlechest

Best option because it just rocks so hard.

* Great RTS, easy to learn, hard to master.
* Most balanced RTS with 3 distinct species. imho.
* Awesome single player campaign and multiplayer.
* Virtually bugfree. No issues in XP etc.
* Solid plot with many memorable characters: Tassadar, Kerrigan, Arcturus Mengsk etc.

Lastly this game is lotsa fun and has some serious replayability.
If that isn't enough, it probably the most bang-per-buck game too.

"Remember us, Executor. Remember what was done here today. May Adun watch over you." - Tassadar

Astromarine

Erudite
IIRC, most SC patches were for multiplayer enhancements, which is doesn't care about.

I, like Elwro, am a complete and utter sucker for Warhammer and 40 related stuff. I'd say take the cash for the game, go to the Devir Arena in Lisbon, and use the cash to get into the miniatures game. Failing that... Get starcraft. it's a pity, but 40K's 10 missions are too little, and the story too generic, for me too recommend it. Still, after SC it would be my next choice.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Ok, thanks for the recomendations everyone :) I think I'll get the Starcraft Battlechest first, followed by Warhammer games somewhere along this year. Maybe Warhammer Universe will become cheaper in the process, to boot.

Once again, cool beans, kudos, good luck, cheerio and ta-da!

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
And as for getting into miniature games, Astro... It's been a long time since I've been into it. Some years ago I was into Battletech. I had some miniatures, got myself the official rulebook and played a lot. It was fun, I'll grant you that, but gaming partners move away, timetables are shifted, other entertainment creeps up... You know the drill. It's a great hobby, and I'm sure I could be swept away if I was playing with skillfull players, but at this point it isn't something I see myself returning to. There simply aren't that many chances. Same applies to videogames, even. I've lost the taste for much of it, as I've said fairly recently, and I only get around to play or replay oldies, when I get the time and urge.

If I ever change my mind, however, I promise you I'll rund down to Devir Arena, stock up on WH miniatures, and call you up to set up some matches :)

Astromarine

Erudite
heh. kinda hard to play some dude 1000kms away :)

The Arena has tables and regular playgroups though, or HAD last time I was there. s'why I mentioned it, as it's basically a perpetual group that is constantly refreshed. But yeah, if you told me 1 year ago I'd be back into it I would have laughed hard. It's a situation thing. I guess it's different from videogaming, where your only social connection is a group of lunatics on a message board.

Fez

Erudite
Looks like it's time to clear out some crap for eBay suckers.

xemous

Arcane
Hmmm, I think its time to install TA, find out what all the fuss is about.

that was quick, 33mg only :)

obediah

Erudite
Wow a thread with GW minis and people bitching about prices, but they aren't bitching about mini prices. :) I guess there truly is a first time for everything.

Deathboy

Liturgist
Shagnak said:
Astromarine said:
I guess it's different from videogaming, where your only social connection is a group of lunatics on a message board.
Lunatics?
Where? :shock:
He's talkin' 'bout you ya egg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom