Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shivering Isles Fan Interview

Will there be sufficient consequences in Shivering Isles

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Journeyman

Novice
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... pic=649962

8. Will[Are] there quests that have multiple paths to take, or perhaps even multiple endings? Also, will there be quests that have a non-combat path for people who want to avoid combat?

All the quests in the main quest line have multiple paths. Some of those path choices have dramatic effects on future quests. In one case you have to choose between the supporting the cause of the Golden Saints or the Dark Seducers. Later, you will have to save either the Saints or the Seducers from destruction, but which depends on who you supported the first time.

A number of quests do not involve combat, and some have non-combat solutions. For example, in one quest you are asked obtain an overdose of apotent drug. You can fight your way to the source, or try and outwit the guards and get past them without a fight. Both are valid choices.

Sounds at least as good as Fallout 2 in that respect. :-S

I am disappointed that allot (of course not here) of reviewers and this fan interview did not pointedly ask about the decision to give all answers to 90% of the quests within the game, specifically in the Journal. In OBL they tell you exactly where to go and whet top do at all turns. Isn't this major? Is it now fashionable to push in game cheat guides?
Except I did Enjoy Bruce's (Bruce is really cool) interview better as he described Lore being more integral but does it give you clues to solve quests???

Looks like SI will be more decent considering the multipaths and non combat options, some consequences. Obviously the Journal cannot give you the answerers to that! Right!?!?!?!

Lumpy

Arcane
Well, Morrowind's expansions did beat it at role-playing, so it wouldn't be that surprising if that were to happen again. However, I'm quite skeptical.

Journeyman

Novice
To in game cheat guides just kill it for me and make me laugh manically.

If the game is good I wont be fooled by it and purchase Fallout 3. I will first make sure it is comparable to SI.

I know they could trick people by making their expansions good for the hardcore and the main game accessible for money. Although I would think a passive player would just have to pop on the Internet through their XBOX browser and get the cheat that way. The Elder Scrolls Wiki is amazing for omplex quests.

Frankie

Novice
Until I see it for myself I have no faith in Bethesda to turn things around in an expansion.

I will be trying it before I buy it, for sure.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I doubt there will be real consequences. Maybe there will, but you'll be able to chose to undo the choice and choose again. That's what Obliv fanboys call freedom.

Texas Red

Whiner
Its too late to make the things right. Even if it will have choises(which I actually believe they do, since they can now concentrate more on actual gameplay) then its just an expansion.

GreatGreen

Novice
Personally, I've lost all faith in Bethesda. I really anticipated Oblivion (yeah I know, I fell for the hype... it's probably happened to you at least once) and the let down when I finally played it and saw what it really was was a big one.

I'm predicting that the devs will do more hyping, and the expansion will be more of the same with slightly different eye candy.

Also, when the devs say "there's gonna be choices!" I'd bet that means there might be one, maybe two forks in the entire main questline. You couldn't pay me to believe that there will be a highly expansive and dynamic quest tree where one small choice could change the entire outcome of the game or anything like that.

Here's what the quest line will probably look like:

start ---------<===>--------< end

The quest will start and be pretty linear. Somewhere in the middle, the quest will fork once, allowing you one of two choices. Of course, later everybody will be forced back on the same set of rails until the ending, where you can choose one of two outcomes.

I weep for the future of RPG's.

Jormungandr

Liturgist
Hey, I fell for the hype as well. At least that's one of those things you only let yourself get burned by once.

Choices. Bah, they promised choices and complex quests with the original game, and what did we get? Oh, you get to choose whether you kill this guy with a sword OR a mace! Or an arrow or spell! Wow!

Ahzaruuk

Arbiter
I'm able to play the game fine, but then again I wasn't aware there was an Oblivion untill two months before release :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom