Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Should I remove a new PC from inventory for ArcAnIA?

Mortmal

Arcane
Thalkirst said:
Here is an update. I am done with 90% of the game, and here is my take on the performance:

it has the same problems as NWN2 with shadows. It all shadow-related options are maxed out, the game produces 10-15 fps outdoors. Indoors is fine. (1600x1200, Core 2 Duo 3 Ghz, ATI 4870 512M, 4 GB RAM, Windows 7 64 bit). By setting the shadow option to medium and low, 20-25 fps can be achieved. Note that this is a beta build (though close to the final one).

Teh graffix is definitely a saving grace for this game. It looks pretty nice sometimes (especially how sunlight and far shadows were implemented). For some reason, close shadows look ugly frequently.

I guess Codex regulars will hate this game with passion. It is a weird mix of Oblivion, NWN 2 and Witcher. Oblivion's writing added to NWN 2's engine and shadow handling with a combat system that seems to be a dumbed down version of The Witcher's system. C&C is pretty shallow, on Oblivion's level (no real impact, just minor differences between choices). And the game is very easy, I mean accessible.

Dragon Age is a masterpiece compared to this...

Thanks a lot , i had bad feeling on this already but its even worse, really scary, you made me save 50 euros. No doubt this game will get 90% in mainstream reviews.

Ancient

Erudite
Thalkirst said:
Here is an update. I am done with 90% of the game, and here is my take on the performance:

it has the same problems as NWN2 with shadows. It all shadow-related options are maxed out, the game produces 10-15 fps outdoors. Indoors is fine. (1600x1200, Core 2 Duo 3 Ghz, ATI 4870 512M, 4 GB RAM, Windows 7 64 bit). By setting the shadow option to medium and low, 20-25 fps can be achieved. Note that this is a beta build (though close to the final one).

Teh graffix is definitely a saving grace for this game. It looks pretty nice sometimes (especially how sunlight and far shadows were implemented). For some reason, close shadows look ugly frequently.

I guess Codex regulars will hate this game with passion. It is a weird mix of Oblivion, NWN 2 and Witcher. Oblivion's writing added to NWN 2's engine and shadow handling with a combat system that seems to be a dumbed down version of The Witcher's system. C&C is pretty shallow, on Oblivion's level (no real impact, just minor differences between choices). And the game is very easy, I mean accessible.

Dragon Age is a masterpiece compared to this...

And what''s about actual quests and side-quests , are they any good?

Shannow

Waster of Time
Wow, the RPGWatch thread declined into:
"But Gothic 3 had crappy specs too."
"Name a single RPG that looks better than Arcania."
"Props to JoWood for being so up front and honest to their customers."
"Arcania's engine can't be judged by FPS standards because it's an RPG."

What a cesspool of moronity and conformism. I can't decide what's worse: Nazi morons or apologistic consumerist morons.

Help me codex, make some vastly stupid posts outside of GD so that I can continue believing in RPGWatch's superiority.

Ancient

Erudite
Shannow said:

What a cesspool of moronity and conformism. I can't decide what's worse: Nazi morons or apologistic consumerist morons.

Help me codex, make some vastly stupid posts outside of GD so that I can continue believing in RPGWatch's superiority.

JoWood bought RPGWatch :salute:

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Thalkirst said:

How can you dumb down Witcher's combat? And I say this as someone who adores TW, but the combat wasn't really its strongest point.

Ancient

Erudite
Lesifoere said:
How can you dumb down Witcher's combat? And I say this as someone who adores TW, but the combat wasn't really its strongest point.

Witchers combat without target lock=Arcania

Mortmal

Arcane
Shannow said:

Rpgwatch forum are in no way superior to codex ones, they got the news first and the codex copy them but theres little to no activity in the forums, as Desproges said its easy to shine in society, all you have to do is to shut up.

denizsi

Arcane

Yeah, when their forum bitch says shit like "FPS could be anything between 30-120, human eye can't tell the difference", it's the zenith of honesty.

I demand that the moron who said that^ signup here and present their case lest RPGWatch be confirmed to be a cesspool with no honour. Like a woman.

Last edited:

Thalkirst

Novice
Ancient said:

No.

There are three types of quests: FEDEX quests, go and talk to someone, go and kill someone or something.

Lesifoere said:

You have to click continually while facing the enemy or enemies. You can attack fast with smaller hits or slower to land criticals. If the enemies are standing next to each other, you can hit multiple enemies with one hit. But there are no forms/attack types or sequences as in Witcher.

And you can roll in 4 directions to avoid attacks. It is pretty funny when you roll away in full plate armor on rocky terrain with your flamberge of kickassing. Or as a mage in your super duper robes of awesomeness.

There is also an alchemy part, where you make a lots of overpowered potions from monster body parts, making combat even easier.

To add to the fun, you can loot any chest, even when the owners are standing next to you. Hero tax maybe?

And there is also a lockpicking minigame, kind of a dumbed down version of the Oblivion one. It is pretty easy, so it is not so annoying.

Ancient

Erudite
Thalkirst said:
Ancient said:

No.

There are three types of quests: FEDEX quests, go and talk to someone, go and kill someone or something.

Lesifoere said:

You have to click continually while facing the enemy or enemies. You can attack fast with smaller hits or slower to land criticals. If the enemies are standing next to each other, you can hit multiple enemies with one hit. But there are no forms/attack types or sequences as in Witcher.

And you can roll in 4 directions to avoid attacks. It is pretty funny when you roll away in full plate armor on rocky terrain with your flamberge of kickassing. Or as a mage in your super duper robes of awesomeness.

There is also an alchemy part, where you make a lots of overpowered potions from monster body parts, making combat even easier.

To add to the fun, you can loot any chest, even when the owners are standing next to you. Hero tax maybe?

And there is also a lockpicking minigame, kind of a dumbed down version of the Oblivion one. It is pretty easy, so it is not so annoying.

:x :x :x

Thank you for input ill wait for the demo and cancel my pre-order :decline:

tetsuo

Scholar
Ah c'mon did anyone here really believe Jowood and Spellbound could make a worthwhile Gothic sequel ? This crap was doomed to begin with, the only thing we can hope now is that it sells so bad that Jowood goes under with it so that they never have another chance to rape Gothics corpse (chances are good :D ).

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Considering I would try to do a little mod it's without problem.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
commie said:
Ancient said:
Stop whining JoWood rocks :) BE grateful for Arcania at all.

Yeah, like they 'rocked' with Forsaken Gods... :roll:

Well it was certainly the best game of its kind ever made.

Its kind being "buggy piece of unfinished shit", no other game ever managed to be as un-salvageable as Forsaken Gods, with most quests broken, the game being based on G3 and even having left quest items from that game (which, in some cases, can't even be picked up, and in all cases are entirely useless) and towns consisting to 90% of useless NPCs who don't have anything to say.

This game masterfully manages to be the perfect turd.

Achilles

Arcane
tetsuo said:
Ah c'mon did anyone here really believe Jowood and Spellbound could make a worthwhile Gothic sequel ?

Not really, but there might be a chance that they'll come up with a semi-decent game (aka Steam-sale fodder).

Ancient

Erudite
denizsi said:
tetsuo said:
Ah c'mon did anyone here really believe Jowood and Spellbound could make a worthwhile Gothic sequel ?

That's the problem: yes, some idjots did.

Being hopeless sucks more
:P

And Forsaken gods is like cement that connects gothic 3 to arcania

And it has nothing to do with spellbound

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Dare I ask how the plot to this one goes/resolves? I have no intention of playing it, but having finished G2:NotR and G3, I'm curious as to see how they've managed to horribly mangle what was an interesting, "realistic" and well-written take on fairly generic fantasy. Come to think of it, what happened in Forsaken Gods anyway?

Ancient

Erudite
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
Dare I ask how the plot to this one goes/resolves? I have no intention of playing it, but having finished G2:NotR and G3, I'm curious as to see how they've managed to horribly mangle what was an interesting, "realistic" and well-written take on fairly generic fantasy. Come to think of it, what happened in Forsaken Gods anyway?

Arcania will have Chapter's and unlock-able areas , so you will be stuck in certain location till you fallow story and unlock next one.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Ancient said:
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:

Arcania will have Chapter's and unlock-able areas , so you will be stuck in certain location till you fallow story and unlock next one.
Huh?
He's asking about Forsaken God's story.

No idea, but since Risen effectively continued G3 with the neutral ending, I don't much care anyway ;)

Ancient

Erudite
My bad to sum up Forsaken God's :
And it's story driven unlike g3

You start off in Silden with Anog sitting across you-before that you killed Xardas(a cinematic)-you need to reunite only Myrtana by killing the orcs and teaming up with Gorn i Gotha and Lee with his Paladins from Vengard or by asking Thorus to stop his attacks on Silden and Geldern.At the end you become the king of myrtana with a capital in Vengard.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
So...

Oblivion writing.

NWN2-style poorly optimized engine.

Twitcher combat.

We just need to make this a PST sequel and it'd be the Codex's dream game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom