Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Silent Hill's 20th anniversary

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
So, yeah, Silent Hill 1 was released 20 years ago today. It's pretty good. I don't know what to say that hasn't been already said a bajillion times about this franchise. Developers today can still learn a lot about horror, character building and motivation and plot structure. Maybe they shouldn't have continued the cult business with SH3, but that's neither here nor there.

Big Wrangle

Honestly, Silent Hill 4 was actually pretty intense despite some of the jank. Yeah there are some departures but you get used to it at this point. It's sad that the series' main artist, Masahiro Ito, never really got another gig after Team Silent was gone. Or at least according to Wikipedia.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Fake news. Silent Hill 2 came out in 2001.

I've played 2 a bit, before I got distracted. It was good. I'd like to come back.

Last edited:

Punch

aaaaaa
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Silent Hill 1 was fucking on point with its nightmare-ish shit, despite being on the aging Playstation. Why hasn't any indie dev tried to replicate it yet?

Zenith

Arbiter
I'm wrapping up my 1-4 replay at the moment. All four stood up fairly well, as apparently did my opinions on them. Uncontroversial as they may be, here are some short summaries:

SH1: a really strong start for the series, especially sound and high concept stuff. Best otherworld structurally: a spectrum instead of regular+bad world that the series eventually settled in on. Monsters are kinda tame, relatively speaking at least.
SH2: best characters, best "straightforward" story. Great job at taking SH1 elements - fog, reality shifts, monsters etc - and putting them in a different context. Best exploration. Bizarre balance and difficulty curve.
SH3: most polished. Best otherworld visually, best enemies, best balance - just most pleasant to play overall, would recommend as the first one when getting into the series. Slightly too generous on save points. Ridiculous puzzles on Hard.
SH4: best trailers, possibly for anything ever. Sadly, that's about it for the good parts. Plays the worst, looks the worst, sounds the worst. Still captures its own unique weirdness once in a while. Goes to great length to make you feel uneasy, though I bet its gameplay ideas sounded better on paper.

For people who have never played a single one: Silent Hill games can be played in any order without losing much. All but the first one have PC versions, I've been posting notes on ports/emulation (1 2 3 4).
I think it's time to release the Silent Hills (at least up to 4) on GOG.
Not gonna happen, thay had enough legal problems just re-releasing 2 & 3 for consoles, and that was back when Konami still cared just a tiny little bit.

SH3: most polished. Best otherworld visually, best enemies, best balance - just most pleasant to play overall, would recommend as the first one when getting into the series.

I've replayed 1-3 last year and cannot disagree enough with this shit. It has the most annoying enemies that also make some really irritating sounds. And it throws waaaay too many of these enemies at you. It is easily the most annoying to play out of first three. 2 felt a lot more polished.
I didn't replay 4 yet because I couldn't set up emulator to run it without visual glitches so my memory of it isn't fresh enough but I wouldn't surprised if I actually find it better than 3 when I do eventually replay.

Zenith

Arbiter
In 2 you can just run past everything, and when you can't it's either a 1-on-1 fight or it's easy to position yourself so it becomes one. It also showers you with healing items and ammo.
I don't know, SH3 is the only one where I feel under threat, and where firearms aren't just a lazy luxury option. Overall, with 1-3 it mostly evens out for me, but I can see how 3 wouldn't work if you're not into the "survival" part of survival horror.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I just remember playing Silent Hill 1 and thinking the puzzle design was absolutely, extremely, fucking retarded. I tend to suffer from hyper anxiety so I started the series being afraid the setting would be too much on my nerves ; it turns out I spent most of my time being afraid of what would be the next retarded puzzle.

A horse of course

Were SH1 puzzles based on difficulty? I never had any issues but I recall that if you played SH2 on the harder difficulties you were expected to have an in-depth knowledge of Zoroastrianism or something :lol: They were sort of like The Secret World puzzles and I think most people looked them up online on Hard.

Hard puzzles in SH2 were fine except for the randomly generated numbers written in blood on the wall in hospital. They can be very hard to read and it's possible to become hopelessly stuck on that part. I actually abandoned two playthroughs with Hard puzzles because of it and since then I always choose the Medium setting. Rest of the puzzles were fine from what I recall. SH3 Hard puzzles can go fuck themselves though.

Swigen

Arbiter
Silent Hill is a mastapeece. Scared the shit outta me worse than anything when I was a kid. Played it earlier last year on an emulator and it still scares the shit outta me. It’s a shame Konami is a load of cunts, PT was such a tease.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
SH1Doghouse.jpg

Wunderbar

Arcane
I like all 1-4 equally. 1 is a really strong start, 2 have a great story, 3 is the most scary, 4 is the most weird and unsettling.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I miss Silent Hill. Shame what Konami allowed to happen to the series. Team Silent were fucking legends with Silent Hill 1 - 4. And all though Silent Hill Origins wasn't made by them, it was still a damn fine Silent Hill game. But everything from there on was down hill.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Neither Origins nor Shattered Memories are that good. There's a lot of praise about SM going around, but I found it a bit tedious and meandering. It's good they tried something new, but it doesn't work as well and it could've been better. Origins is a handheld game with an unnecessary and lore-breaking story. There are good bits in both games, but overall they don't come close to the first ones.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Shattered Memories wasn't great, but it felt original and had some interesting ideas.
Origins was just a dumb clone where you kill monsters with a fucking tv set.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom