Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline SimCell, a game about understanding cellular mechanics

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014

From the website:
Explore a cellular world
With the control of a Nanobot, a robot small enough to enter and explore a living cell. Within this world, the player finds systems built to reflect actual scientific information about the cell, and he or she must investigate and understand this world in order to complete their mission of saving the cell from a virus invasion. The first step in understanding the world is by scanning the surroundings. Every object large and small can be scanned in Sim Cell, and through this mechanic the player comes to understand both the mechanics of the game and the mechanics of cell biology (which in this game are one and the same).

Extracellular Matrix
Plazma Membrane Mitochondrion
Making discoveries
Scanning and following directions is critical to building the player’s understanding of the world, but it not enough to complete the game; the player must make discoveries using this information, putting together the puzzle pieces to cause a desired effect. Scanned objects will explain how they work individually, but it is on the player to fit these explanations into a common framework among all the objects of the cell, connecting the dots and constructing for themselves the very processes that cells use to function.

An educational world
By bringing this multi-faceted approach to learning (allowing the player first to pull information about the world, then requiring them to fuse the ideas in their head), we create a world where the player is in control of their learning, their agency is guiding their discoveries, and the answers they find are answers that they themselves sought out.

It's being made by Strange Loop Games, who previously made Vessel, which I just love to gush on and on about. It seems the team's goal with this one is to be educational, which carries the implication that it may be for a younger audience, but they're very focused on using interaction between systems to create interesting and emergent situations. I'm hoping it goes so far that you get to end up managing most or all of a cell's operations over time, or maybe allows you to play with different kinds of cells in different organisms.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I was desperately wishing this would be some Maxis title I hadn't heard of or something.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Yes, it being a sort of management simulation was one of my first hopes, but this looks interesting in its own way. I am kind of hopeful that managing multiple cell functions at a time will be a main feature, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom