Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Single player spaceship RPG or otherwise with single large ship?

el Supremo

Augur
Patron
I just wanna be the captain of a big ship. You're always either piloting a small fighter or commanding a whole fleet/civilization. Where is the in-between?

Shuruga

Educated
Space Quest 5 if you're into older adventure games. EGATREK if you want a very old (and simple) simulation game. I've never played more recent Trek games but I think Bridge Commander also fits.

Gostak

Educated
FTL still feels like fighter class to you then?

If underwater and in space counts and you're a bit maso, try Barotrauma (some custom sub should
be able to make SP with the bots viable, still again if you're kinda maso).

Pulsar Lost Colony, more arcade-y and the ship still handles more fighter like also due to this, but you get to command it's small bot crew as captain.

The old Trek/ Klingon Academy games still felt like fighters to me, so I'd dismiss 'em here.

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...combat-sea-space-or-other.135483/post-8725038
look interesting, have no experience with 'em, though.

I never got much out of BC Millenium Gold, it was too open-ended and unguided for me back then.

Atrachasis

Augur
Starflight
The Ur-Quan Masters
Star Trek: The Rebel Universe (probably other Star Trek titles as well)
And probably several Derek Smart titles, though I cannot claim familiarity with them.

All of them put you in command of a single, but sizable, crewed vessel.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Star Traders: Frontiers. Gameplay is unusual, but I'm a huge fan. Does all the space game things, trading, piracy, smuggling, exploration, and throw in diplomacy and some other stuff too, like going around curing plagues or bounty hunting. Great stuff. Terrible character artwork. Truly hideous. Dear god someone make a mod.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Shortest Trip to Earth.
Crying Suns.

If you want something more simulationist then I-War series is a good choice.

Gostak

Educated
[...]

If you want something more simulationist then I-War series is a good choice.
I-War 2 is great.
The ships still feel more fighter sized/ handling though (although done "right" according to physics in space, I guess).

Hmm, on a similar vein would be Delta V: Rings of Saturn just 2 dimensional/ top-down-ish.

Also:
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/capital-ship-combat.142280/
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/tactical-games-of-starship-combat.146842/

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom