Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Skullstone is a real-time grid-based dungeon crawler coming next year

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Blacktorch Games; Hyperstrange; Skullstone

Skullstone is an upcoming real-time grid-based dungeon crawler inspired by the likes of Dungeon Master, in which you play as a party of adventurers hired by a local mayor to defeat the ancient evil™ infesting the nearby mine. If that sounds like a relic from the Legend of Grimrock era, that's because it is. Skullstone has been in development for the past six years, including a successful Steam Greenlight campaign in 2017. It unexpectedly resurfaced yesterday at Realms Deep after being picked up by indie publisher Hyperstrange. They helped developer Blacktorch Games put together a rather droll new trailer and finally launched the game's Steam page.

An ancient structure, long buried under Lisenian woods, is slowly rising as if summoned by an unknown force. Atop of it, stands Skullstone stands – the dreaded entrance into the darkness below. Evil creatures emerge from the under-realm, killing brave men and women, snatching the elderly and the helpless children. While the local monks waste time praying in their monastery, pondering on how to deal with the fiendish infestation, the mayor of the town of Lisentar takes matters in his own hands, calling for mercenaries.

Choose from a roster of 20 characters, each with different set of skills and abilities. Tough warriors, agile archers, healing clerics, and powerful wizards are all waiting for your call. Gather your party and lead it into the Skullstone dungeon. Accept quests, kill monsters, find treasures and claim rewards. Develop your mercenaries to survive the dangers hidden in the darkness, progress through different levels and prepare to face the ultimate evil! You know, same old story... or is it?

What sets this game apart from the other Grimrock clones? As the description suggests, you only get to play with premade characters and you get to revisit the town on the surface from time to time. I'll let you decide whether those are good features. Skullstone is scheduled for release sometime next year and will also be getting a demo at the next Steam Game Fest event in October.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
What sets this game apart from the other Grimrock clones? As the description suggests, you only get to play with premade characters and you get to revisit the town on the surface from time to time. I'll let you decide whether those are good features.

Why would anybody choose to develop a blobber with premades only? It's like polling their audience for things they hate the most and choosing one at random within the top 3.

Mortmal

Arcane
What sets this game apart from the other Grimrock clones? As the description suggests, you only get to play with premade characters and you get to revisit the town on the surface from time to time. I'll let you decide whether those are good features.

Why would anybody choose to develop a blobber with premades only? It's like polling their audience for things they hate the most and choosing one at random within the top 3.
Those games used to be called dungeon master clones and it was like that in dungeon master and chaos strikes back a gallery of pre made characters +2 hidden.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Those games used to be called dungeon master clones and it was like that in dungeon master and chaos strikes back a gallery of pre made characters +2 hidden.

I would honestly take advantage of the fact that you don't usually have to animate individual party members in a blobber, at least not to the extent as other RPGs, and use that to allow a vast variety of races/classes/builds.

Mortmal

Arcane

I would honestly take advantage of the fact that you don't usually have to animate individual party members in a blobber, at least not to the extent as other RPGs, and use that to allow a vast variety of races/classes/builds.

Blobber is a misleading term, should just call them either wizardry clones or DM clones , latter always been more action oriented .Shouldnt prevent to have more builds yes , there was no progress in 34 years, there's probably not even everything you could find .

DemonKing

Arcane
Been wondering what happened to this...will give it a whirl probably.

Not sure having a guy from a mining village who sounds like he just stepped off the stage playing Hamlet was the way to go for the trailer though...

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Grimrock clone with cheap graphic novel intro, hahhah.

Doesn't get more low effort than this.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Grimrock clone with cheap graphic novel intro, hahhah.

Doesn't get more low effort than this.
Considering that it's already been 8 years since the release of Legend of Grimrock II, someone making a Grimrock clone can only be incline.

kA3m1cp.png

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Premades make kinda sense. Otherwise you face the task of creating the game world in such a way that various builds are playable, something that, irrc, didn't work at all in Grimrock, and only a little better in Grimrock 2. I can accept premades if the dungeon is great...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom