Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim beaten in 2.5 hours

Commander Xbox

Learned
J_J_M said:
I think you missed the point.

Most games can be beaten in an hour or two. But Skyrim main quest was compeleted with a level 1 character. That means he got past the toughest challenges in the game with a skilless character. Leveling doesn't mean anything in this game, and the level-scaling from Oblivion is probably still there.

Source is Bethblog:
foob4w.jpg

I thought that was kinda implied. true story, the first time i played oblivion by the end i was head off all the major guilds, completed the main quest and had done a few random ones, i was something like level 6 or so, fuckin amazing.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Luzur said:
why even bother with levels at all?

Exactly. And when you have to ask that question the game ceases to be an RPG. Even an ARPG.

Tel Velothi

Cipher
In oblivion, just after exiting sewers, being a mage at 1st level you could kill by fists (hand to hand skill at 5) every human potato in Imperial City - including city guards which are 50% of population there.

Oh, I'm not joking here.

I also love this: When player has high level, almost every bandit wears daedric armor (divine and rare as fuck). Ok. Why he even ask me for 100 gold?! He could sell his daedric greaves for 100000000000 gold pieces and he could be rich for the rest of his life...

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Tel Velothi said:
In oblivion, just after exiting sewers, being a mage at 1st level you could kill by fists (hand to hand skill at 5) every human in Imperial City - including city guards which are 50% of population there.

Oh, I'm not joking here.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bethesda Innovation!

MetalCraze

Arcane
Today leveling is there so morons can feel that they achieved at least something after spending 30 hours on an empty map killing eternally respawning monsters

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Hey guys, we fixed the level scaling this time, really!

Actually, it's really sad just how many games can be beaten more easily by running past all the enemies than actually dealing with them legitimately.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
I thought that was the definition of leveling since like, forever

Before "forever" happened (before you got your first PC 2 years ago) even in shittiest RPGs leveling was there so you could develop your character through non-linear skill trees (with many skills non-available at earlier levels so they also were there for the sake of balancing). Today it's all about reaching LVL80 (or a higher number if the game is more retarded) while all skills are about pointing a crosshair over an enemy and shooting in between playing minigames.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I've got to agree with Skyway here. If you look at leveling in most traditional RPGs (especially those based on strong rulesets), the goal of leveling is to build your character(s) up so that it/they can take on tougher challenges, enemies, and also gain new abilities to play the game in different ways. Even something as simple as gaining access to, say, an invisibility spell could radically change the way you go through a game, and if a game acknowledges that sort of ingenuity, all the better.

These days, however, most RPGs have leveling for the sake of leveling itself. Modern RPGs tend to just throw levels at the player every ten minutes, with XP counters and numbers constantly going up. I'm all for progression, but when the gains of levels are so small, the impact of skills so tiny, and when so little effort is required to get that ding, you really de-value what should be a fairly rare and significant event.

Even New Vegas, one of the better modern RPGs of the last few years, still has a major problem with certain skills having almost no real impact on gameplay - and if you didn't gain lots of XP from doing quests, and hunted around for the right items, you'd be able to easily finish the game at level 1 due to all the scaling and whatnot.

Sure, there's always been that "yeah, I leveled up!" feeling, but it's been reduced to this weird Pavlovian thing where it seems like the sole purpose of playing the game is to level up. Building your character should feel meaningful within the context of the game and due to the new options it provides you, not because you've moved the counter from 43 to 44.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
sea said:
Even New Vegas, one of the better modern RPGs of the last few years, still has a major problem with certain skills having almost no real impact on gameplay.
To be fair, the New Vegas SPECIAL system is much better designed than the one used in the original games. Still p. unbalanced, though.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Yes original games had all these stupid skills and perks allowing to do different things, NV really turned it around with awesome stuff like +5 to HP, +5 to dmg while you play another Halo and minigames

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
MetalCraze said:
Yes original games had all these stupid skills and perks allowing to do different things, NV really turned it around with awesome stuff like +5 to HP, +5 to dmg while you play another Halo and minigames

Because only these perks are in NV and ofcourse Fallout1/2 didn't have similar ones, right? Oh...

MetalCraze

Arcane
Fallout 1/2 didn't have stupid ones.

Fallout 3/NV can only have "skills"/"perks"/"traits" which are the same shit there since being a shooter it's all about having more HP and dealing more damage.

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Calm down guys, he played a diplomat and finished the game avoiding combat.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
MetalCraze said:
Fallout 1/2 didn't have stupid ones.

What? Fallout 1/2 had plenty of useless perks. In fact, they had more shitty perks than good ones. Same with skills. And attributes. And traits...

racofer

Thread Incliner
Excidium said:
Fallout can be beaten in 10 minutes, where is your god now?

Does this mean that Skyrimjob is a much deeper, longer, better and grittier game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom