Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So I decided to replay The Witcher 1...

Shannow

Waster of Time
Crispy said:
I tried replaying Witcher myself about a week ago in anticipation of the sequel, but I gave up after about 5 minutes. Ugh.

But, I'd like to point out, being a perfect opportunity, that this is where the splurging on something like twin 10,000RPM Raptor hard drives in RAID0 really comes in handy. It took my system about 10 minutes to apply the Enhanced Edition. :smug:

An SSD in a nice system would probably have similar results.
5 minutes :smug:
But hell, the servers have been down for over a week? That's what I call customer support.

I quit TW1 the first time because of the atrocious gameplay and I remembered how bad it was and yet I'ml surprized at how bad it is...
Not sure I'll get even as far as the last time :/
How is gameplay in TW2? Is it still a broken combination of direct controls + point&click + shitty camera or have they decided to use playable controls?

EDIT: And dialogue is shit too, with Geralt constantly being able to ask about stuff that wasn't mentioned before...

Shannow

Waster of Time
tindrli said:
KalosKagathos said:
Installed, downloaded the EE patch. It asks me to register the copy. I did it when the game first came out, but fuck me if I remember the password, or even the user name. The official forums seem to be down, so I can't ask for assistance there. Advise me, my brethren in potato.

HMMM im currently playing enhanced edition .. and all that i did was install the 1.5 patch witch was a fast install and seems that this patch is removing DRM and some more things .. anyway it didnt ask me for any registration..

what is EE patch??
If you bought the vanilla version you could patch to the enhanced edition (= EE patch) version after registering. After that you could apply the 1.5 patch. If you acquired the EE version of the game there's no need for the EE patch. (Obviously)

Multi-headed Cow

God damn. Just started Witcher 1 only to find it crashes on me constantly now. Doesn't like my more modern potato parts I guess? Tried turning all the graphical settings to their lowest to see if it was freaking out on any of those, didn't make a difference. Screen typically will go black (Sound continuing to play) for a few seconds and then flash back to the game once or twice, then dump me back on the desktop and kill the game.

RAEG, NOW I WILL NEVER FINISH WITCHER 1

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
You have a legitimate version Multi-headed Cow?

I have not had a single problem playing The Witcher at highest settings.

Multi-headed Cow

Yeah, using Steam copy. I had played ages ago with a retail disc edition with next to no issues at all, but I was using a different OS, video card, and CPU at the time. Kinda distressing.

Multi-headed Cow

Fixed it, reminded me of a similar problem I had with Killing Floor a while back. just have to underclock my video card ever so slightly and then it works just fine.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Decidec to play this bitch again too...I guess im becoming a new age consolotard.

I forgot how crappy combat was in this game. The timing based thing is bad enough but enemies for the most part attack one at a time and rarely surround you....the witched 2 combat much better even as twitchy as it is.

I never finish this the first time due to long load times and the swamp boredom but this enhanced version on my new pc has almost zero load times on max settings.

One thing I like in the twitcher 1 was the art style...especially the artwork in the load screens. For some reason I didn't like it as much in the second game from what I played of it.

I think now that I know the world is not truly open I wont rage about that like I did the first time I played it.

Regarding the novels...im reading blood of elves...pretty good read so far. What I don't get is this english translation came out in may of 2009 but the next book in the series is scheduled to come out in 2012: wtf! Why does it take so long to translate a 300 or so page book? Pretty much means I wont read the whole series

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Multi-headed Cow said:
Fixed it, reminded me of a similar problem I had with Killing Floor a while back. just have to underclock my video card ever so slightly and then it works just fine.
As usual, the culprit is hardware damage. It's pretty common to see people reporting problems with games/programs when in fact it's due to issues like overheating instead. Glad you worked it out, but if you need to underclock your hardware to run things properly then I highly suggest either you return the card under warranty (if possible) or look into getting a new one at some point in the future, since it's not going to last.

Saxon1974

Prophet
This game allows you to ransack peoples valuables right in front of them just like TW2....

I guess these poor farmers who can barely eat dont mind if you take all their stuff........

I guess some dont care about this aspect in a game but it drives me crazy, add a crime system please!

Multi-headed Cow

Not too concerned about it since the only games I've had that issue are Killing Floor and The Witcher, plus my card isn't all that hot shit anyway (GTS 250), and if it does give up the ghost on me entirely I believe XFX would replace it/replace it with an equivalent modern card. And even if they don't I've been kicking around the idea of buying a new video card anyway.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Saxon1974 said:
This game allows you to ransack peoples valuables right in front of them just like TW2....

I guess these poor farmers who can barely eat dont mind if you take all their stuff........

I guess some dont care about this aspect in a game but it drives me crazy, add a crime system please!
Just wait till you're in a slum home, surrounded by "thugs" who don't mind you taking their stuff *g*

TW shines in some details and is fucking rotten in others (though I'd say lack of a crime system is more than a detail...).

Saxon1974

Prophet
Is there any point to strategizing over the talents when developing your character?

It seems like you need all 3 attributes and all 3 major skill areas. For combat you need strong, fast and group style so only investing in 1 or 2 seems dumb.

Is ther only decision really whether to go more alchemy heavy or sign heavy?

Been playing some myself. Found lots of decent mods to make it better this time around.

High res Textures
High Res Characters

Makes textures better. Obviously.

Full Combat Rebalance

Very well done rebalance. Because frankly the hardest difficulty in vanilla is still consoletard easy, you can win with no alchemy other than the swallow (first potion you get lol) and/or just spamming igni/quen/aard/etc.

There are two separate rebalances included in this. Flash mod just makes the game harder through giving enemies bonuses and you penalties, so I'm not to fond of it even though you might want to use it for your first time threw since its the most faithful to the original game. FCR completely overhauls things so that instead of a battle of attrition everything dies in about 5s of fighting, you included if you let them flank you. Pretty much everything is different from the base game, but it works. Only downside is that in the early game its easy to get raped if enemies ambush you before you can even draw your sword.

Also included are a number of mini-mods that you can select to install even without either rebalance mod, so you might want to check it out even if you want the vanilla game balance. Make sure to deselect the main menu music replacer because its shit.

One further note: there are 2 files you need to delete from the texture mod if you use this, otherwise health bars don't display correctly. Check the readme.

Stuff to make Geralt's life easier

Lets you meditate/access storage/use nighteye whenever you want. Little bit of a cheat, mostly just a huge time saver.

Increasing movement speeds

Guide on how to make Geralt not slow. Note that contrary to the information, you need to change only the line "Default" in moverates.2da. I recommend changing only the run speed since thats all Geralt needs. It will make everyone else run faster, but it doesn't look too bad so long as you don't push the speed too high. I use a speed of 4.5 myself.

Saxon1974 said:
Is there any point to strategizing over the talents when developing your character?

It seems like you need all 3 attributes and all 3 major skill areas. For combat you need strong, fast and group style so only investing in 1 or 2 seems dumb.

In Vanilla you will probably end the game with 95% of your bronze talents maxed and 1/2-2/3rds of the Gold/Silvers. You really get enough talents to do everything, especially if you ignore obviously useless talents and Yrden/Axii (which are plenty powerful, but takes 10x as much effort and time to use as simply spamming the others).

All 4 base attributes are really useful, its almost always best to pump them first. Group sword attacks are pretty uninspiring, hordes of low level enemies are fodder for Igni and/or Aard, and both of those signs can also rape high level enemies if you develop them enough. Half the bosses in the game can be downed instantly if Aard stuns them, and level 5 Igni kills pretty much anything in 2/3 casts, even most bosses if you prep with +intensity effects. Since you get a shitton of Bronze talents you will easily max all important swordsmanship skills at the lower levels, higher level silver/gold skills aren't as important since they only apply to the later hits in the attack chain, by which point the enemy could have already died anyway.

FCR will completely change all of this if you use it, mostly for the better

DoctorEars

Novice
FCR sounds like a pretty interesting mod.

I played The Witcher 1 for the first time about a month ago, mainly because I wanted to prep for TW2 (which is incredible) and I didn't find it too be as bad as some people in this topic suggest.

It wasn't perfect, no, and combat was awful. But other than that it was incredibly enjoyable.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
I'm also replaying this shit, last time I played it was when it came out, 4 years ago. Despite my comments on how much the combat is shit (haven't changed opinions on that), it's a pretty cool game. It does setting about as well as the Gothic games, and the characters are more lively and the quests can be involving. The gamebalance is pretty good (money is hard to come by), despite the game being too easy which is perhaps one of my biggest problem, but then I'm not about to add a difficulty mod that makes me reload each battle 10 times because I didn't click on the icon when the animation was pilling up. Geralt is about as cool as Shepperd, too. Overall I think the game's biggest stength is how it manages to "paint a picture", so to speak : I just went through act 1, and it was pretty cool how the entire thing just plays around in your head after you consider it in greater details. Yes I'm using vague faggy terms, get over it
:yeah:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Saxon1974 said:

I beat the game by simply prioritizing Strength first. Since they give HP and increase your survival rate. Group is outperformed by Igni Sign by mid game. And early game, they don't really throw a lot of mobs at you.

Weapon combo talents seem a lot of hit and miss. Just get the bronze combo and damage booster. Strong style has that % increase dmg when enemy is incinerated made me just go for Igni attacks. If you are disappointed by the Fast Style puny damage, realize that the style relies on inflicting Pain to disable the enemy so maybe it's best to just rely on Igni's silver talent fear effect for that. Crowds tend to run after they got set on fire.

After that, I focused on Igni Sign and improve my Stamina levels. By end game, I just run around with Petri's Philter, Tawny Owl and Maribor Forest on all the time. I didn't even use a single White Raffard's I made cause it was so effective.

And when the game told me to make oil for specific mobs, it proved to be too much inventory clutter. I decide to just buy rune-stones, diamond dusts and whetstones for 60%/40%/20% damage increases to all. And it works for all monsters, so why bother crafting oils?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
RK47 said:
And when the game told me to make oil for specific mobs, it proved to be too much inventory clutter. I decide to just buy rune-stones, diamond dusts and whetstones for 60%/40%/20% damage increases to all. And it works for all monsters, so why bother crafting oils?
Oils increase your damage by 100% so they're necessary if you want combat to be over with asap. They're also much cheaper to make as opposed to buying runes and diamond dust, which reduces money-grinding. I'd wait until I knew I was going to be up against a certain monster type before making them, otherwise relying on what you used.

Igni tends to cause lots of instakills by virtue of the fact that it does more damage than 95% of the enemies in the game have HP. By the time elite enemies appear that can take 2 Ignis, you have enough endurance and its cheap enough that you can pretty much spam your heart out.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Tried the FCR mod and found it to be even worse than the vanilla. The main difference is that almost everything supernatural gets very high damage reduction, but HP is lowered significantly. Basically, if you don't apply oils, you can barely deal any damage, but if you do, enemies go down in 1-2 hits. There are two problems wit this. First, it makes higher level sword talents more or less useless, as stuff dies before you get the chain far enough. Second, enemies feel even more same-y, and the lack of variety was the vanilla's biggest flaw.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Overweight Manatee said:
Been playing some myself. Found lots of decent mods to make it better this time around.

High res Textures
High Res Characters

Makes textures better. Obviously.
I saw very little difference in-game with these. Are they actually higher resolution? It honestly looks to me like someone simply extracted the texture files and put them through noise and sharpen filters.

el Supremo

Augur
Patron
KalosKagathos said:
Tried the FCR mod and found it to be even worse than the vanilla. The main difference is that almost everything supernatural gets very high damage reduction, but HP is lowered significantly. Basically, if you don't apply oils, you can barely deal any damage, but if you do, enemies go down in 1-2 hits. There are two problems wit this. First, it makes higher level sword talents more or less useless, as stuff dies before you get the chain far enough. Second, enemies feel even more same-y, and the lack of variety was the vanilla's biggest flaw.

I dislike any fan-made difficulty mods. They tend to go over the top, aiming for maniacs playing one single game, continually, for years.

pocahaunted

Arcane
I had to try and manage finishing TW1 before playing TW2, just to know what the hell was going on.

Damn, the aurora engine is a painful piece of shit, but at least with my new GFX card I can play reasonably well, i.e. w/o retarded loading times, which makes it slightly tolerable. Also, I was only interested in the plot since the combat is horrid so I set the game to easy and everything pretty much dies without a challenge.

After years of trying to get through the prologue - mission accomplished. :lol:

Saxon1974

Prophet
Yea now that I used a mod to increase the difficulty and I am using the enhanced edition so no loading times at all this is a nice little game.

I knew it was not a real open world game this time around so I didn't get mad about that.

While it's not open world it does simulate the world rather well, people move around and do tasks, people run to get out of the rain, sometimes when you come back to a place people have came and went and most of the NPCs have interesting things to say.

So yea combat still sucks but it's a nice little game now with nice atmosphere.

Thanks Overweight Manatee and RK47 for the game play tips... :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom