Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So I'm thinking of doing one of those made-up LPs.

JagreenLern

Erudite
Patron
MCA Project: Eternity
I've read some of the LPs by Cassidy and The Barbarian, and I've been thinking of doing one myself. It would follow the same general idea as similar LPs, with posters selecting the best course of action for a feudal duchy in a setting closely based on central Europe in the 15th century. The focus would of course be on war, politics, religion, and economics. Supernatural elements would be used vary sparingly, a few grimoires and strange sects here and there, but no rampaging demons or undead hordes. Codex in-jokes will also be very few. However, I've never an LP of any sort before, and before I start anything I'd like to know if anyone would be interested. So does anyone think this idea sounds interesting? Anyone have any advice?

Nickless

Educated
I once asked The Barbarian his method, I hope he doesn't mind me reproducing his response. It is a worthy cause however

The Barbarian said:
Hail Nickless!

Conan's method is simple:

1) Create a simple setting, with a particular set of 'laws'.

2) Offer a series of plausible choices based on a pre-determined 'vector' (a mini storyline, if you will). For example, Conan used global unification and the first steps into the cosmos as his first 'storyline'.

3) Derive the plausible consequences of the chosen option, and bring the storyline to its next decision point.

4) At the conclusion of each individual storyline, bring the setting forward, so that the previously made choices are reflected therein, and the new storyline has context and background.

5) Rinse and repeat.

6) If the council messes up severely, the Barbarian is not so invested in the setting that he is afraid to bring the Saga to a close. Seriously bad choices have seriously bad consequences, as they must.

In all cases, the Barbarian seeks to keep the proceedings believable. That is not to say 'realistic' - but simply believable.

If he was to offer you any tips regarding this sort of exercise, he would say that the most important thing is merely to take it one step at a time, and keep it manageable. The update can take an hour or two to write, depending on a number of variables (including initial drafts). Everything else is very negotiable, and the fine folk of the Codex are a worthy audience.

Perhaps also observe how The Brazilian Slaughter's fantasy grand strategy works out. His experience might be helpful, and instructive.

ElectricOtter

Dead already? :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom