Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, it is true. Nival does work on HOMM5.

Balor

Arcane
Heh, that is expecially having in mind that it's a variant of an engine that was initially developed back in 2000! Well, Nival is known to make engines that go ahead of time - Evil Islands was known to be stunningly beatiful, but really slow... same for Etherlords. Even now it stil look good enough.
And if we are to emganine what you can do with an upgraded version of a Silent Storm engine... yumm it is.

Lady Armageddona

Liturgist
Actually I thing that that is not the SS engine but rather the Etherlords one (or something like that, though probably the SS one has something to do with the Etherlords one the same one the Etherlords engine was based on that of Evil Islands)
Still, it does look very very nice even today.

Kthan75

Liturgist
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The pictures look nice, except for the third one (the one with the angel), which looks like crap. What the hell is that red thing anyway? I was also dissapointed by the angel. The archangel was arguably the most powerful unit in HOMM3 and among the best in HOMM4. It certainly doesn't have the look of a powerful unit here. The creatures on the second screenshot look nice though.
It would have been nice to see a screenshot of a map, looking from above, like the previous games, but all these pics are zoomed in.
They'll probably show more stuff at E3.

Fez

Erudite
It looks nice enough, but HOMM is the last game I'd worry about having great 3D graphics.

Balor

Arcane
Yea, that's the tricky part. First etherlords was clearly below HMM3 (cannot say about HMM4) in that respect. Etherlords2 were better, but they were less HMMish anyway. But I hope they'll do their best.

Neverwhere

Novice
Ubisoft is delighted to confirm the return of the legendary Might and Magic® brand. Credited with the establishment of the heroic fantasy genre since its first release in 1985 on PC, the brand envelops several series including the mythical Heroes of Might & Magic®. No stranger to resurrecting cult licenses, Ubisoft will bring fresh life to the franchise, taking it to a new level while respecting its heritage.

The first game to reintroduce the video game legend to the public will be Heroes of Might and Magic® V, the sequel to the universally acclaimed turn-based strategy series with a touch of RPG.

Sounds like there could be new RPG titles as well...

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I didn't like Etherlords but Etherlords 2 was at least okay enough to play.

I don't like 3D in strategy games. I want to see what I'm doing right when I'm doing it, not zoom and fuck around. Call me old fashioned. At least it's gonna be turnbased, right?

Astromarine

Erudite
I'll go on record as saying I have NEVER found any lasting appeal whatsoever in any of the HOMMalikes. I just can't fathom why the games are considered good, let alone classics. Can anyone try to explain why they think this is so?

Balor

Arcane
Can you explain why oranges are tasty to someone who thinks that they taste like shit and preffered apples? :)
They are fun to play. That's all I can tell.
P.S.
First Etherlords were a bit boring, I agree. Second were way better. If that thrend will continue, and they'll put their previous experience to good use and listen to what fanbase wants from HMM5 - it will be a great game.

LlamaGod

Cipher
Disciples 2 and HOMM3 negros

as for Nival making a HOMM game, I say:

UNF

Astromarine said:
I'll go on record as saying I have NEVER found any lasting appeal whatsoever in any of the HOMMalikes. I just can't fathom why the games are considered good, let alone classics. Can anyone try to explain why they think this is so?
Cause they fucked your mom?

Seriously, though. I don't know how to explain it. They're fucking good games (excepting 4). Either you don't like the genre or have incredibly poor taste.

And yes, I played both Etherlords. They both ate ass. I just pray to god that Nival makes HOMM5, not Etherlords 3. :roll:

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I don't think Nival will make the error of turning HOMM5 into Etherlords 3. I believe that an Etherlords 3 game is in development so there's no reason for them to want to cause any paradigm shifts for the Heroes series.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom