Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So I've finished Starcraft 2.

racofer

Thread Incliner
v7rv45.jpg

2zoyyxd.jpg

*deletes everything, never looks back*

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
MetalCraze said:
So I've heard vanilla ice cream is pretty tasty

Skyway... No need to pretend... Not now...

We're all in this shit together, man.

:(

Ninja Edit:

Also, there are a handful of people who are fighting a good fight on Blizz forums. Kinda sucks I don't have a key so I could join them in trolling the unwashed masses e.g.

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic ... 415?page=1

Ninja Edit2:
Kinda sucks I don't have a key
In the face of what happened - No it doesn't :smug:

Mrowak said:
Also, there are a handful of people who are fighting a good fight on Blizz forums.

As in.. posting huge walls of text to explain how a game about space marines fighting two alien races doesn't have a good story? Fucking nerds never cease to amaze me..

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Eh. Halfway through the campaign, I just began skipping the cutscenes. The missions themselves are quite fun. The objectives are probably the most varied I've seen in an RTS so far. Even if it's build x units or go to location y and pick up the maguffin, lamost every single mission had some sort of scripted event to add a slight twist to the proceedings. A slightly better AI, and I would've been raving. Being able to ignore Jimmy Crybaby and Acturus Bush through the magic key known as Esc made it a decent single-player experience. Loving the MP so far. Will love it even more if someone shaves 25hp off of marauders and make them cost 2 supply like they did with roaches. Terrans need castration something fierce.

racofer said:
never looks back*

And this is the problem right here. I think that people jumped to conclusions like a new enemy will causing all grudges to be forgotten and that everything will be candy and kisses. I doubt it will happen like that. And because Arcturus is losing power it obviously means that he had a lobotomy, and not that there are people like his own son attempting to pull the rug out from under his feet.

WoL ended with a lot of unresolved plots, I'm happy enough to apply my over active imagination while I wait for hots.

A post I agree with from the bliz forums:

Andrew, the Overmind wasn't enslaved by the Xel'Naga nor did it writhe and rage against the chains cast upon it by its' creators. I believe you misunderstood this part of the lore, the Dark Voice somehow got ahold of the Overmind and enslaved it to its' will. The Dark Voice is presumably responsible for sending the Swarm to assault the Xel'Naga fleet. It is also hinted that the Overmind's strong desire to assimilate the Protoss into the Swarm was fueled by the Dark Voice. The Xel'Naga didn't cast the chains on the Overmind, the Dark Voice did, and how are you all getting the idea that the Dark Voice is a rogue Xel'Naga or somehow related to the master race itself? There is absolutely no evidence that points to the Dark Voice being an Xel'naga itself.

The point is that the Xel'Naga merely observed the Overmind and studied how it assimilated various species into the Swarm but then the Overmind abruptly severed its' physic link to the master race and sent the Swarm to attack their fleet. This incident hints at the possibility of the Dark Voice succeeding in overpowering then enslaving the Overmind, if you recall from the manual - the Overmind expanded its senses outwards into the universe and discovered the Xel'Naga fleet holding orbit - can't it be possible that the Overmind somehow came into contact with the Dark Voice within the same time period?

To make it clear for some people here, Tassadar never stated that the Overmind was 'good' or 'noble' but stated that it was a 'courageous being' because after being enslaved by the Dark Voice, it constantly sought to free itself but knew it was doomed from the start, therefore creating Kerrigan in the hopes that the Swarm will be free from the taint of the Dark Voice and at the same time find a means of salvation in the face of the Swarm's eventual destruction. It doesn't mean that the Dark Voice was responsible for the Zerg's need to consume&infest, it is merely responsible for the Overmind's overwhelming desire to assimilate the Protoss, which would have signaled its' own end because the Dark Voice would then ensure the destruction of the Swarm.

Will love it even more if someone shaves 25hp off of marauders and make them cost 2 supply like they did with roaches. Terrans need castration something fierce.

really the biggest problem i see with terran is that they can get reapers out too early. marauders aren't that fucked up, maybe take away their stim packs like in single player though.

Drakron

Arcane
M_I_C_K_E_Y_M_O_U_S_E said:
And this is the problem right here. I think that people jumped to conclusions like a new enemy will causing all grudges to be forgotten and that everything will be candy and kisses.

Brood War heavily hinted at that, I mean what else could happen?

I doubt it will happen like that.

Well Kerrigan have her own fraction since Starcraft as Brood War was her raise into power.

StarCraft 2 only kicked her down as "The Heart of the Swarm" will be Kerrigan control Zerg, then last come the Protoss and finally we have to wait another 14 years for SartCraft 3 to finally end this.

That is, before the prequels.

And because Arcturus is losing power it obviously means that he had a lobotomy, and not that there are people like his own son attempting to pull the rug out from under his feet.

Arcturus grasp on the power have never been that great, he used the Zerg to bring down the Confederacy and then got his ass kicked by the United Earth Directorate.

I have no idea why people think that son of a bitch is some kind of genius as he is simply brutal.

WoL ended with a lot of unresolved plots, I'm happy enough to apply my over active imagination while I wait for hots.

Expansions -> Starcraft 3.

really the biggest problem i see with terran is that they can get reapers out too early. marauders aren't that fucked up, maybe take away their stim packs like in single player though.

There are a LOT more problems with ZvT then just Reapers. What Zerg really need is something to take the place of Defilers and Lurkers. Something that lets them defeat an equal sized terran army without a complete 360 degree surround and perfectly coordinated attack from all sides with the perfect unit composition.

Even if it gets balanced through some other means, without those units playing Zerg is just so... bland. Muta micro is out. Auto surround and better unit pathing mean ling/hydra/roaches are all fairly hands-off. Nothing the Zerg can really do in the battle affects the outcome with the weak exception of focus firing and banelings. All there is to do is hope the Terran lets you flank them and then send things in and watch the outcome.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
M_I_C_K_E_Y_M_O_U_S_E said:
And this is the problem right here. I think that people jumped to conclusions like a new enemy will causing all grudges to be forgotten
Except that those grudges WERE forgotten to face a new enemy. One that was FAR LESS DANGEROUS than the one in SC2. Oh and the reason the Raynor-Mengsk alliance broke? NOT because of something that happened between these two.

The above ultimately explains why some of you have no problem with the retcons and some of us do: you have no trouble ignoring large chunks of what happens in BW. We, on the other hand, do.

attackfighter

Magister
Overweight Manatee said:

There are a LOT more problems with ZvT then just Reapers. What Zerg really need is something to take the place of Defilers and Lurkers. Something that lets them defeat an equal sized terran army without a complete 360 degree surround and perfectly coordinated attack from all sides with the perfect unit composition.

Even if it gets balanced through some other means, without those units playing Zerg is just so... bland. Muta micro is out. Auto surround and better unit pathing mean ling/hydra/roaches are all fairly hands-off. Nothing the Zerg can really do in the battle affects the outcome with the weak exception of focus firing and banelings. All there is to do is hope the Terran lets you flank them and then send things in and watch the outcome.

use that fungal growth shit it's more effective than dark swarm also I'd be more concerned with how slow and elite the zerg force is it's supposed to be characterized by it's speed and numbers

Dark Swarm: Make your entire force invincible to everything but sieged tanks or firebats.

Fungal Growth: Decently damage and immobilize a good amount of marines and hellions. Slightly inconvenience every other terran unit that wouldn't be moving much anyway.

Yeah, totally comparable.

Dark Matter

Prophet
ScottishMartialArts said:
Siege tanks could penetrate dark swarm? I didn't know that.
Not completely. Units underneath the dark swarm only take damage from the siege tank's splash damage.

attackfighter

Magister
they function differently but achieve the same goal in zvt

and yeah fungal spores less effective against thors and shit but all you blizzfags are whining about MMM so QQ plz

also infestors can burrow and move faster then defilers, you'd think it would be even easier to use then defilers but once again retarded SC2 players amaze me with their incompetance.

Siege tanks could penetrate dark swarm? I didn't know that.

dark swarm makes all ranged weapons miss by a little bit, but as DM said their splash radius will still do damage.

Dark Matter

Prophet
Dark swarm makes all units under it invincible to ranged attacks (excluding lurkers and splash damage), not sure what you mean by "miss by a little".

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Yeah, it just worked like the missed shots from being on lower ground, except at a 100% rate. Ironically, this fucks over archons worse than seige tanks, since the tanks can target the back/middle of the pack and hit the middle/front. Archons just end up doing their piddly edge splash to anything humping them.

The nydus worm seems useless to me the way it works currently. For the same cost in gas, you can have the move and cargo upgrades for your overlords, which you'll have plenty of by default. Which is WAY more useful than a stupid tunnel that has a significant build time and can only travel somewhere you've sent a fucking overlord to scout anyways.

Void rays are ridiculous. Contrary to their stupid description, their damage ramps up as long as they continually attack- doesn't matter if they switch targets. So if you can swing a few seconds of sniping at whatever the fuck before the bouncers arrive, they'll be walking into 5x damage void rays. The only 'counter' is to kill the fuckers before their damage ramps up. Except it's an air unit that can attack from fucking anywhere. And if you can wipe them all out in just a few seconds anyways, it probably doesn't matter whether their damage has ramped up or not. They're only weak at defending your base, but why the fuck would you assume you'd need them for that anyways. Worst case scenario, you sneak around to their base at the same time they attack you, you'll probably level their base first since the things are like flying air and ground seige weapons after the first few seconds.

Yeah, I haven't yet found an effective counter to void rays, marines sure as fuck aren't one since they can't chase them. Are you supposed to use Vikings or maybe Battlecruisers? Or Ghosts? Thors don't look like they'll stand up to them, and missile turrets aren't all that effective anyway. This is something I liked more in the C&C series, anti-air units and buildings are much more effective there.

Yeah, I haven't yet found an effective counter to void rays, marines sure as fuck aren't one since they can't chase them. Are you supposed to use Vikings or maybe Battlecruisers? Or Ghosts? Thors don't look like they'll stand up to them, and missile turrets aren't all that effective anyway. This is something I liked more in the C&C series, anti-air units and buildings are much more effective there.

EDIT : Double post because it was so important!

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Multidirectional said:
Mrowak said:
Also, there are a handful of people who are fighting a good fight on Blizz forums.

As in.. posting huge walls of text to explain how a game about space marines fighting two alien races doesn't have a good story? Fucking nerds never cease to amaze me..
Bogus source material doesn't justify a shitty story.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom