Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, MMORPG players are idiots?

poq

Novice
eve sucks

pvp is shit

economy is shit

pve is shit

roleplaying is shit

skill system is shit,

Vykromond

Scholar
You ended it with a comma? How delightfully mysterious. Please tell us more about the "shit" of Eve, poq.

Ryuken

Liturgist
DarkUnderlord said:
It's $19.97 US. That's right, pay $40 US for a game and then pay half as much again just to learn how to NOT be retarded.

I really don't understand how or why people would want to buy this stuff.
On a related note this (old) article: http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3141815

There is a whole industry behind it and apparently idd enough suckers to buy all kinds of stuff. Although I think you should put the blame with the devs allowing these exploits and providing such a tiresome way to gain... something.

And the main problem I have is that there is still an end to mmorpg's. You grinded all the way and then woops, the end of the questlist, only instances now and shallow PvP stuff. If you ask me then devs should continually add more stuff, change areas from time to time or even incorporate AI factions which can threaten or protect real guilds/clans.

poq

Novice
Vykromond said:
You ended it with a comma? How delightfully mysterious. Please tell us more about the "shit" of Eve, poq.
tubgirl shitty, runny, yellow and seemingly coming out of every orifice.

Vykromond

Scholar
Well, for instance, my friend tried Eve and said that the handling of the economic system was absolutely exemplary- much better than any other MMOG he had played. What about it is "shit" to you?

poq

Novice
Vykromond said:
Well, for instance, my friend tried Eve and said that the handling of the economic system was absolutely exemplary- much better than any other MMOG he had played. What about it is "shit" to you?
Tech 1 started off ok, in the beginning it was a struggle for any corp to get a bpo, much less produce larger items like battleships, but after about 2-3 months pretty much every corp either had, or had access to almost every bpo.

The fact so many had bpo's, meant everyone was making bpc's which further inflated how many people could produce, leading to every item selling for a miniscule amount over what it cost to make. Add to that that you could get 100% insurance on ships meant losing a ship was no real loss.

Basically, all supply and no demand, the economy was all about money coming in from infinite sources(infinite mining, killing npc pirates for isk and loot) and no artificial means of taking it out.

Tech 2 is in some ways worse, a "lottery" for the limited amount of bpo's, led to ridiculous prices both for the blueprints and the items made, and to the formation of cartels to completely control the production of single t2 items(although this has lessened).

Tech2 was a kneejerk reaction to what they thought the problems were with t1, and resulted in being almost as bad.

(if a lot of this doesnt make sense, sorry)

Vykromond

Scholar
I see what you mean. I guess there's no way for an interface to deal with economy to be good if the economy itself as a construct is so badly managed. Makes sense.

So, what else is wrong with Eve?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tiliqua said:
You want a good mmo, play Eve:
http://www.eve-online.com/

No grinding, great PvP, 10k players on a single server every day. This mmo is the best around.
I looked at Eve when I was looking for an online space game. I prefer my space games to be "reflex based" though and not "click, wait 5 hours to cross space". I haven't played it mind you, that's just what I read in a few of the reviews. Something like that as a single-player game might be nice though...

Ryuken said:
DarkUnderlord said:
It's $19.97 US. That's right, pay $40 US for a game and then pay half as much again just to learn how to NOT be retarded.

I really don't understand how or why people would want to buy this stuff.
On a related note this (old) article: http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3141815
"Last year alone, this newfound industry grossed roughly $500 million".

I think I just found a new career path... Why would anyone want to get paid 56 cents an hour though when they could just take their character and hoik it themselves? Just seems bizarre. If you're willing to put all that time in, quit and sell the shite yourself.

Oh, they're poor Estonian bastards who don't have their own computers. I see...

"He says once someone even traded him a wedding ring worth $2,000 for WOW gold."

:ouch:

Good article though, thanks for the linkage.

I just don't get why anyone would want to buy a computer game and then buy all their items and gold. What's really the point of playing the game for them? Status? Respekt on the street? Chicks?

They get chicks out of this, don't they?

If by getting chicks you mean some busty bundle of sprites played by a balding 45-year old truck driver says "tee hee" and runs off when they shower "her" with gifts and then type in a/s/l?, then I believe the answer is yes.

DarkSign

Erudite
Buying gold and items is an absolute no-brainer guys.

Its about skipping the parts you hate/are bored by and getting to the fun stuff.

You already have extra real-world money from work or parents. You're playing your game and the more powerful you are in game the more fun you have. Power comes from having the spell or armor or weapon that does the most damage / saves your ass.

You plop down your rw money...you get in-game money...you are more deadly (both vs the game world and vs your friends) and you have more fun.

I have no problem with people doing that. In the old days of EQ account selling there would be noobs that would buy a high level account, not know how to play it and get everyone killed. Getting your corpse at the bottom of the pit in The Deep sucked donkey ball sweat. So account selling I used to have a problem with.

Haris

Novice
Only fun thing in mmorpgs is killing defensless people and owning a house and shop that sells items for you even if your not online. And allso on purpose acting like a lamer and telling every player you see that he is a n00b even thoe he has maybe played the game 5 years longer than you have. Flaming combined with alot of enemies and crafting is what makes mmorpg fun. And its something one should play while he finds it fun. Eventually you wont be arsed mining for another second cause the sight of pick axe makes you wanna puke and scream. So sure if you tryed lame mmorpg like WOW you will say that all mmorpgs suck or if you played a mmorpg for 5 years and got so sick of it that you hate every single feature in it you will say they all suck.

So there really is no point in arguing if mmorpg sucks or rules. At the moment i cant stand the thought of playing one. But i know that i will eventually go back to ultima online. I still have my shop there and my millions of gold pieces.

Vykromond

Scholar
DarkSign said:
You're playing your game and the more powerful you are in game the more fun you have.

This makes the person officially "a lamer." Being more powerful doesn't increase your enjoyment of a game unless you're, well, obsessed with power.

Human Shield

Augur
Vykromond said:
DarkSign said:
You're playing your game and the more powerful you are in game the more fun you have.

This makes the person officially "a lamer." Being more powerful doesn't increase your enjoyment of a game unless you're, well, obsessed with power.

The game is designed to let you do more, see more, and have more influence. Why do so many people grind to get to high level without the promise that it is more fun, that their character becomes better?

I've wrote this before:

From an economic point of view, Problems with MMORPGs

Unlimited animals.
Selling items to a store does not reflect supply and demand, static prices.
Selling goods from the animals produces unlimited currency, no one mints the money. Unlimited inflation.

No real ownership rights on most goods.
Most of the world exists in the wilderness and first extraction rule applies.
It is the tragedy of the commons, thousands of people are trying to over-extract respawning creatures and time becomes a more important resource.

Players kill as many as they personality can, because: there is no need to invest in future population of monsters, any you let go is just benefiting someone else at your loss.

Another problem with MMORPGs is that it makes the scarce resource of time a zero-sum game. Doing things as fast as possible usually makes it slower for others. In the aim of giving everyone everything, comparative advantage is destroyed and replaced with first extraction and everyone is screwed.

What do the hunters need? The people that use bots desire: In-game money, in-game fame and power, and/or real money.

The last one is the only one based on supply and demand! As more people sell game items the price will go down, which in turn will mean more camping and bots to keep the same income.

In-game money and character power given in exchange for time is automatic and maximized the more they exploit, time becomes even more precious when they are charged for it.

The exploiter has no in-game needs and the game imposes none.

This the biggest problem in MMORPGs. The player needs no one and everything is commonly owned for extraction, exploiting is the best thing to do in pursuing your goals. MMORPGs will never become complex without scarce resources and comparative advantage. PVP adds an element to this. The exploiter mite need to hire player guards.

Why don't we let the exploiter declare ownership over an area and have guards go after people that enter. How about we throw monster breeding code in instead of respawning. Looks like the exploiter can't kill everything in sight now. What if a purely player-made item comes out that increases breeding, but it requires land to grow. Looks like the player is forced to buy the item from other players if he still wants to maximize killing monsters.

You can exploit the mindless game but you can't control other people and the trade must be agreed to by both parties.

Privatization and scarce goods can produce more cooperation and interaction then thought possible, and make things many times more interesting then any other MMORPG.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
DarkSign said:
Its about skipping the parts you hate/are bored by and getting to the fun stuff.
You mean these games actually have fun bits in them?

I don't believe you.

kris

Arcane
DarkUnderlord said:
DarkSign said:
You mean these games actually have fun bits in them?

I don't believe you.

Making characters is fun, especially with a lot of characterisation. Sure, that part can also become boring too.

DarkSign

Erudite
The problem with persistent worlds is they arent persistently fun...

that is to say you cant love it 100% all the time.

We're writing a lot of mini-game, alternate gameplay style functionality into ours...so that people will never say "hmmm wonder what there is to do?"...but of course they will.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom