Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So... Restricted Area?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Has anyone gotten the game, yet? What's it like?

Baley

Liturgist
GIN are the worst reviewers ever :P

And I've read some German reviews..they seem to concurr it's a solid title...

So I wanna play it :P

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Well, it was the only one on Gamerankings and I don't fucking read german, so there you go.

Though I did find it kinda odd (read: stupid) that RA is listed as "Action-arcade" in the GiN review, yet the reviewer splooges on about how much of a deep roleplaying expierience it was. Huh? :?

Baley

Liturgist
Check the scores then :P

They make it sound like a decent game...

roguefrog

Liturgist
Downloading demo as I type this. (along with Fate) I got some classic gaming in store for tonight. :D

LlamaGod

Cipher
I got Restricted Area, it's pretty decent.

It's no masterpiece RPG, but it's a fun action game.

Pretty similiar to Diablo, but the setting and stuff changes it enough to where it doesnt feel like the exact same game.

Instead of armor and stuff, you just find cyberware or bioware limbs (left and right arms and legs, eyes, head, and then some slots for microchip sized ones), but also you have a limit on which you can put in.

There's a Tolerance stat and each piece of ware has a different amount of it it takes when you wear it, so you gotta think about what to wear.

The guns are pretty awesome in the game, I like the way they are balanced and fired and everything.

Plasma gun is rapid fire, no 'recoil' type of thing (you dude takes time after each shot to reflect recoil), but you have an energy meter that limits how much you fire so you gotta wait for it to refill. Also enemies dont get stunned often with plasma and are never knockedback.

Shotguns knock enemies back, stun pretty often, but are heavy recoil and shitty at range.

Pistols are quicker then shotguns, have good range, no knockback and normal stun amounts.

There is melee, flamethrowers, pistols, shotguns and energy weapon classes.

Overall, it's a pretty fun action game. I'm playing through as the generic cyberpunk hero guy (all guns sorta guy) on Hard difficulty. There is also a Realistic difficulty, which is like Hardcore in Diablo.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I don't have the game yet but I was wondering about the deal with that Jessica chick who can hack into cyberspace or something. How does that work?

LlamaGod

Cipher
I dunno, i've only been playing the guns guy.

It's a pretty fun game, lots of action so hey. Its like a 3rd person FPS or something.

I discovered one bad bug, the flamethrower can hurt enemies through walls, so if you do it right, you can kill people without harm.

But thats boring as hell to do, so I dont really do it.

Edit: I just remembered I keep seeing these computer terminals in the game levels, I couldnt interact with them so I forgot, but I imagine thats what the hacker girl uses.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
The game looks pretty good, and I enjoyed the combat in the demo. While it was like Diablo, it wasn't boring like Diablo, maybe cause it had guns and not swords, but who knows.

LlamaGod

Cipher
Major_Blackhart said:
The game looks pretty good, and I enjoyed the combat in the demo. While it was like Diablo, it wasn't boring like Diablo, maybe cause it had guns and not swords, but who knows.

I feel that way too, the setting and everything makes the game less boring for me too.

It reminds me of a cyberpunk roguelike, which is fun fun fun.

Its got some flaws here and there, but it's solid enough.

roguefrog

Liturgist
Played through the demo. Got murdered by level 5 fat muties being only level 2. Though once I got the machine gun and was able to use it, I housed everything. Didn't find any melee weapons.

LlamaGod

Cipher
on hard those fat muties were pretty tricky, just have to be good kinda. I used a pistol with +damage to living things, low recoil high speed and extra damage to them.

Now i'm using a plasma rifle with a +4 modification and +66% stun chance

LlamaGod

Cipher
Was trying out the melee guy, he's pretty cool. I got up to about level 4 and got some nice items and some fucking shithead IMed me and I lost my whole game.

LlamaGod

Cipher
Jed said:
Why do you leave IM on while you game?

was waiting for something, BUT HEY the guy who IMed me sucks.

Anyways, the game saves when you exit, normal exit or not, so its alright. The melee guy is pretty decent, his jump kick attack kicks alot of ass.

Jed

Cipher
LlamaGod said:
Anyways, the game saves when you exit, normal exit or not, so its alright. The melee guy is pretty decent, his jump kick attack kicks alot of ass.
Into a separate slot, or what? Sounds like a formula for corrupt save games...

How's the cyber lady?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom