Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So the public has realized the bias of the actual media...

Fez

Erudite
Jaime Lannister said:
Fez said:
Too many "OMG 10/10!!!" reviews for AAA titles like Spore to make the print magazines or the big sites useful or reliable.

2 is now too many?

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/spore

1. The big names give big scores, metacritic weight these scores so that the final average is still a healthy 85 despite any dissent from the "lesser sources" scoring it at a more reasonable level. So people read the big magazines, see the big scores and then this system simply reinforces that by listening mostly to those with the larger readership. Of course the vast majority of these examples are giving it a big sloppy suck anyway.

2. 90-95% from the various individual big names is close enough to what I was meaning if you aren't a literal-minded pedantic weirdo with no sense of humour.

3. Go fuck yourself. :)

Also, as DraQ pointed out, the DRM is part of the package and therefore it is completely justified in mentioning it in a review. In this case it is particularly draconian and loathsome form and the kind of thing I would want to know in any review.

Spore itself is still a shit game even without the DRM problems. Any score for spore that's 80% or higher must have been written by an empty-headed moron or someone who was bought.

DragonLordRyu

Novice
I can say this about game reviews on the the whole: I think they've turned into something that's becoming less and less useful to a consumer who's trying to decide if he wants to buy a game. I've been trying to come up with a system that's more useful to that end and I've created a website that embodies this purpose: GameMagi.

Basically, GameMagi tries to get the opinions of a bunch of gamers (via a voting system) and lets you view the data that I gather through the lens of your own gaming preferences. There's more to it than that, but I can't explain it all here. Go give the site a gander if you're curious.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Oh fuck I forgot to add something to the "Hi, I'm new to the Codex!" chart.

4) Visit my website!

Ion Flux

Savant
Project: Eternity
DragonLordRyu said:
I can say this about game reviews on the the whole: I think they've turned into something that's becoming less and less useful to a consumer who's trying to decide if he wants to buy a game. I've been trying to come up with a system that's more useful to that end and I've created a website that embodies this purpose: GameMagi.

Basically, GameMagi tries to get the opinions of a bunch of gamers (via a voting system) and lets you view the data that I gather through the lens of your own gaming preferences. There's more to it than that, but I can't explain it all here. Go give the site a gander if you're curious.

Dude, there are no PC games in your database. How does this help me? :?

DragonLordRyu

Novice
Ion Flux said:
Dude, there are no PC games in your database. How does this help me? :?

Go add some PC games through the "Suggest a Game" function :) I'm only one person, I can only do so much on my own. I've had to keep my focus on where I think the majority of gamers are playing their games since I simply haven't had the time to add all the games. I'd certainly be willing to except your help though ;-)

Mech

Cipher
Wyrmlord said:
Dear god, look at that dichotomy.

4.7 from users and 8.5 from critics. That is a huge margin of a difference.

The difference between people who just love to bitch about anything and people who post their honest opinion is pretty big too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom