Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So two weeks to Clear Sky

Deleted member 7219

How original.

Micmu

Magister
I'd look forward to CS but hearing that they intend to keep that retarded respawning, I'm not even sniffing it.

END.

MINIGUNWIELDER

Scholar
By that micmu mean that he has sand in his vagina because he can't pirate the easily moddable version.

Well it's been leaked - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxvK7tzZyig

And the release date has been pushed back to September 6th

Here's a review

2h4b8si.jpg

2h6yhz6.jpg

674ebs.jpg

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Well, I don't care personally. Game will hopefully be damn good. New weapons, enemies, locations, more improved enemy reactions and 'tactics'. The respawn doesn't bother me that much actually, and in reality it can be modded with anyway, though I never mess with that. Personally, I love that now you actually will need pistols for defense when using the detector. Makes having a backup weapon more of a necessity than not. Not only that, but I sincerely hope they include a revolver or two, though I doubt they will. Why? Eh, just because, I gather. Russians did make one military style revolver, the MP-412 Rex, and a silenced one, OTs-38 silent revolver. Both are pretty badass, especially the Rex which is top breaking and a .357 magnum. That's some insane power right there and a fast reload baby.

Love the people crying about respawns. While it's true it was ridiculously fast - I remember clearing out one bandit camp, looting it, and before I was done checking the bodies another raid came in, which I had to fight. Still, it added a good amount of tension and challenge. Having the zones stay cleared would have removed a great deal of interest from the game, as it was the only thing that made fedex quests interesting and dangerous.

And the shooting mechanics were fine; it just required patience and uhm... oh yeah, skill. Shocking that it wasn't like a Quake or CS skill-set.

I'm not saying these two areas couldn't have been improved, but complaining that one or the other ruins the entire game seems silly and childish, and removing or completely reworking one of the areas entirely would dumb the game down significantly. I bet these are the same people that loved Republic Commando and Riddick and hailed them as being great fps games.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Matt7895 said:
But still, is it too much to expect the developers to actually fix the problems before they release the game instead of relying on modders to do it for them? Modders should be expected to make extra content, not fixes.
Fix?!? Because you don't like the mechanis? WTF?!? Relying on the modders? Are you actually that egocentric?

Anyway, didn't like respawning either. I would have preferred dead zones or a very gradual respawn over time.

In former Soviet Russia respawns stalk you... oh...wait...

bat_boro

Arcane
Matt7895 said:
Crap script, storytelling and characters again

Yet they gave it an 88.

So?
Script, storytelling and characters are not everything in a game, you know. The original Stalker managed without them.

So what are you talking about?
Please, let it not be another of these "bribed reviewers" claims, God forbid

Deleted member 7219

Oh no, I don't think game companies bribe reviewers. Well, some do, as most evident with Gamespot. I seriously doubt all other gaming reviewers are bribed, though.

If anybody does the bribing, it would be the game magazines bribing the game companies to get exclusive reviews, so they can sell more copies.

I think the more worrying trend in game reviews is how they ignore how dumbed-down games are becoming and how they give the best scores depending on how good the graphics are.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
You know whats really sad? Even my mother knows that graphics do not make a game. The only stuff she ever played was zelda and mario games. It seems these reviewers pheil to grasp that simple concept that even my technologically inept mother (tho I love her so) understands without hesitation.

On topic, i wonder what types of weapons we'll have available to us, besides those that were in the original.
Maybe finally a light machine gun of sorts? RPK or something else perhaps? a SAW of some sort would be cool. Also a Saiga-12K and other shotguns more customizable than in the original (i.e. no customization at all). Spas 12 was amazing tho, simply a clip fed Saiga would be cool, or even the badass Striker as well. Nasty as hell, but long ass reload time.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Here's a thing about games. Faces. It's actually a fairly important aspect.

No really. Sure, in a shooter, you usually are not going to be taking a good look at anyone's face, but in a game like STALKER, in which there are NPCs with whom you speak, it hurts a little to have such rudimentary faces. And that's why I am glad that Clear Sky has worked on faces.

The ironic thing is that Mafia, made 4 years before STALKER, had fairly detailed faces despite having inferior technology. Because the Czech guys who made it realized that if they are going to have so many in-game cinematics in a game, it's better to have the faces of characters detailed enough to get the player's interest in watching them.

Micmu

Magister
MINIGUNWIELDER said:
By that micmu mean that he has sand in his vagina because he can't pirate the easily moddable version.
So by that you mean I should pirate it AND then wait for some xyz user mod(s) to fix lazily implemented mechanics, ones that might or might not appear (there wasn't any for respawning half year after release). Thanks for your suggestion nonetheless, though.

DraQ

Arcane
micmu said:
(there wasn't any for respawning half year after release)
Start a 'Concerned Codexers for Dumbing Down' fund, or something.

Having to conserve ammo and gear without being able to permanently clear an area is good in my books. Sure, the raspawning should be slower and combat more scarce, but that's about it.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
"Deteriorating weapons" as a game feature has never made much sense to me. Does anyone actually enjoy dragging their stuff to a smith/repairman for periodic service? It's nothing but a time and money sink.

I guess if there was some kind of tradeoff forcing you to make a decision, say between a reliable weapon and a high-performance one, it could be somewhat interesting, but I can't think of any game like that...

Micmu

Magister
DraQ said:
micmu said:
(there wasn't any for respawning half year after release)
Start a 'Concerned Codexers for Dumbing Down' fund, or something.
Dumbing down? Fund? ...or something, yeah.
Having to conserve ammo and gear without being able to permanently clear an area is good in my books. Sure, the raspawning should be slower and combat more scarce, but that's about it.
Yes, I agree. Like mutated wildlife and occasional new bandits. And it wasn't. All those side quests (especially ones that made you go through one or two areas) were nightmare to do and you wasted either half of your ammo on enemies you killed just moments ago. It was rather pointless to attack Freedom base because they respawned so fast you couldn't even loot their corpses in time. And Defense missions were rather pointless as well because of it, there was simply no end to attacks from either military or bandits. There was a "defend the same base" mission every time I popped into the area.

The game was decent enough for doing the main quest, I guess, but it would be much nicer if those side quests (fedex aside) weren't so painful. I really liked the more "freeform" gameplay idea which didn't turned out to be so great.

DraQ

Arcane
Spectacle said:
It's nothing but a time and money sink.
Something S.T.A.L.K.E.R. needed quite desperately.

Having to conserve your gear is cool, besides, the impact of weapon deterioration is going to be nerfed considerably in CS due to NPCs offering repair services being available.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Spectacle said:
I guess if there was some kind of tradeoff forcing you to make a decision, say between a reliable weapon and a high-performance one, it could be somewhat interesting, but I can't think of any game like that...
Betrayal At Krondor. Some weapons had a high degradation rate, and some had a low one. It was possible for a high damage weapon to also have high degradation (although the best weapon in the game had zero degradation). And yet, at the same time, different weapons had also different rates for being repaired by the Highcastle smithy. So in some situations, a weapon with high degradation could be repaired quite cheaply.

Fez

Erudite
Weapon deterioration could be a worthy game mechanic if it was implemented properly. I can remember lamenting my favourite weapons falling to pieces through overuse or rummaging through bodies in the hope of finding a weapon in a reasonable condition so it wouldn't jam too often. Using a high-end but heavily worn weapon instead of a brand new cheap pistol. I found myself keeping some weapons only for special situations, rather than using them on the common dogs and having them deteriorate all the faster.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Yeah, Stalker really forced me to keep a cheap double barrel around to deal with little muties while my Spas and VSS took out tough boys. Handguns were only so-so mostly, better for dealing with people.

Edit: Can we dual wield?

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
wtf?
Game already is on the shelves in Russia and only in a week here in Ukraine? In Ukraine where it is developed. I guess I need to remove nothing from inventory many times to punish publisher for such things...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom