Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So who's going to try the Silverfall demo?

LCJr.

Erudite
http://www.rpgwatch.com/#3648

Looks like it'll be out tomorrow with elf boobies and mechanical dragons galore!

OsirisGod

Liturgist
They have the full version on my local tracker since friday , but i won't bother DLDing 8 GB of hack and slash since i generally suck at games that require player reflexes in combat. I joined the RPG players after the death of Adventure games wich was my flavour until The Longest Journey then they burried the genre for the new and improved action-adventure Lara Croft clone style games beacuse it was so much better now RPGs will suffer the same fate. Sad but true .

Anyway is this anything more then an action game with stats that have no use except they are there for the sake of it ?

OsirisGod

Liturgist
denizsi said:
Silverfall isn't really marketed as an RPG, you know.

"Silverfall will try to offer hack-and-slash action that's just as fast-paced and addictive as in any other action RPG, while also offering excellent graphics, a huge world, and an open-ended skill system that encourages you to play through the game multiple times!"

the site says that , wich sounds like an improved action RPG with more RPG then most , well i was wondering ...

Texas Red

Whiner
LCJr. said:
The Walkin' Dude said:
No. Just... no.

But it's going to have technology and magic just like Arcanum!

And?

I will wait for the opinions of others on any game that features barely dressed bimbos in most of the artwork.

denizsi

Arcane
My bad then.

I will wait for the opinions of others on any game that features barely dressed bimbos in most of the artwork.

What if they aren't dressed at all?

vazquez595654

Arbiter
I played the demo already. The collision detection sucks. The artwork is mediocre. The world has bad guys laid out similar to Sacred (which I found really boring). Diablo 2 is still king for these types of games. Who would want to play a crappier version of that? Well apparently many people, since Titan Quest is getting an expansion.

Pegultagol

Erudite
I just had flashbacks of dungeon siege about this game. The game will probably take to its style and gameplay, with the difference being not being able to play as a party of no more than 2 characters. I will try it out when it is out, and I believe the French version has already been released last year, and had a lot of small glitches and bugs that I am not certain were resolved, which may explain why the game is slated for a March release.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
vazquez595654 said:
I played the demo already. The collision detection sucks. The artwork is mediocre. The world has bad guys laid out similar to Sacred (which I found really boring). Diablo 2 is still king for these types of games. Who would want to play a crappier version of that? Well apparently many people, since Titan Quest is getting an expansion.

Titan Quest was actually good, and I also liked Sacred. Both tried to improve on Diablo, especially Sacred which offered a freely explorable world with lots of sidequests, and Titan Quest has a very nice setting.
Still, Diablo 2 is the best hack and slay.
All of them are nice for some brainless monster-hacking fun. No real RPGs, but good hack and slashers.

Fez

Erudite
I can live with ugly visuals in the game if the rest is good enough.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Wrong. Haven't you met "I won't play it without anti-aliasing"-aweigh? And all those bitches that won't play Dwarf Fortress without tiles.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jasede said:
Wrong. Haven't you met "I won't play it without anti-aliasing"-aweigh? And all those bitches that won't play Dwarf Fortress without tiles.

Well, strangely I find anti-aliaising sucks. It looks so freaking blurry.
And I also don't really like ASCII games, but some can turn out to be quite good if I can get myself to play them. Like Nethack. Which I now found with graphics.

But let's say most of the people here don't really care about graphics.
If graphics were that important to everyone, Fallout would never have gotten such a cult classic.

Nedrah

Erudite
We're suckers for art direction and style more than for shaders and shineys, mostly. That's why Fallout's graphics will likely never get ugly.

ASCII Dwarf Fortress is purely a matter of me being unable to tell what's going on / making sense of the screen takes more effort than actually playing. That, and I broke the external keypad for my laptop, so it's out of the question for now anyway.

Fez

Erudite
While I don't mind ASCII roguelikes, I agree that in the case of a real-time game like DF it can be hard to keep track of everything and remember what each symbol variation means, especially when it is new to you. Tiles are a matter of functionality rather than eye-candy.

aries202

Erudite
I have played the french demo and I found the
demo veru fun and such. It is correct that
the graphics and visuals probably not are that good, but I far prefer silverfall's raw stylished graphics over say Oblivion's well polished visuals.

The story is fun, though. The quests and skill trees
is similar (but not equal) to Diablo. The quests you reciece actually also has to with a much deeper story than the one in say Diablo.

The combat however is similar or equal to Diablo,
and as far I could tell it did matter if you had points
in say technology or magic and such.

The way I view Silverfall is that is sort of an action RPG with a more deeper story than Diablo.

So, yes, im gonna play the silverfall demo...

suibhne

Erudite
I'm a fan of cel-shading and could use a short diversion, so I'll give the demo a whirl, probably tomorrow.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom