Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, World of Tanks, I play it, here's some criticism.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
03Jfp.jpg

:love:

XenomorphII

Prophet
Just started playing this and boy do I suck at it. Currently at Tier 3 (German) and getting sick of hearing "Failed to Penetrate" (insert joke about being a Codexer and sucking at penetration).

Is there a Codex clan or group or anything?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Not that I know of. What server (US, EU, SEA, Russia, China...) are you on?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Me and hoaxmetal are. Dunno about everyone else.

Being a fellow übermensch tanker, these are the pointers I can give you:

1) Always go for the gun with the highest penetration. This is often not the highest caliber
2) Against tanks of a higher tier than you or heavies, consider switching to HE ammo -- It'll do damage even if it doesn't penetrate
3) German tanks are excellent snipers. Learn where weak spots are and aim for them. Driver viewport, the lowest part of the tanks hull (if they're not in a hull down position), the back 3rd of the hull (engine area) and the drive wheels on the tracks are all good weak spots to go for. Ammo rack is also good, but the exact spot for that varies from tank to tank. Side/rear armor on turrets is typically lower than side/reat armor on hull while turret front armor is typically as strong as hull front armor or stronger.
4) Remember the angle you hit the enemy at will affect penetration, as will range
5) If you find something that you have no hope of damaging (especially as a light tank) remember that you get xp/credits for spotting a target while your artillery/heavies destroy it. Find a brush to hide in and profit
6) Tank destroyers typically have slightly better guns than regular tanks. The Marder II and Stug III in paticular are awesome. The Jagdpanther, Ferdinand and Jagdtiger are all p. decent. The hetzer is ok. The JagdIV is terribad.

XenomorphII

Prophet
Thanks!

A question regarding spotting. Does it occur automatically when I find an enemy tank, or do I have to hit something to radio it in?

Keep in mind that lots of seemingly-invulnerable tanks have weak points even on the front. You can usually penetrate somewhere on the fronts of tanks 2 or 3 tiers above you, even if it's only a few square inches of area. Also keep in mind that your accuracy is a normal distribution, not a flat distribution, so your average shot is generally a lot closer than the aiming guide would indicate.

Worst case, tracks are always vulnerable, even if you do no HP damage to the tank. HE ammo is useless on most guns unless the enemy has 10 HP left though.

Just had a similar round on the SU-85 I bought. Difference is that I got 3k XP out of it :P. Starting to love this thing.

Harpsichord

Arcane
I loved it, scored at the tops of matches regularly, tiered up to Pzkw IV and then couldn't score a single kill. Putting T4 tanks against T8 is just horseshit.

Yeah, sittting at the bottom of a 4 tier spread is basically a several minute advertisement to pay money for a higher tier tank.

XenomorphII

Prophet
Just moved up to tier 4. First time out in my new tank I end up in a battle where I am the only 4 and the enemy team has several IX's on it. This game trolls me hard sometimes.

trais

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Being a fellow übermensch tanker, these are the pointers I can give you:

1) Always go for the gun with the highest penetration. This is often not the highest caliber
2) Against tanks of a higher tier than you or heavies, consider switching to HE ammo -- It'll do damage even if it doesn't penetrate
3) German tanks are excellent snipers. Learn where weak spots are and aim for them. Driver viewport, the lowest part of the tanks hull (if they're not in a hull down position), the back 3rd of the hull (engine area) and the drive wheels on the tracks are all good weak spots to go for. Ammo rack is also good, but the exact spot for that varies from tank to tank. Side/rear armor on turrets is typically lower than side/reat armor on hull while turret front armor is typically as strong as hull front armor or stronger.
4) Remember the angle you hit the enemy at will affect penetration, as will range
5) If you find something that you have no hope of damaging (especially as a light tank) remember that you get xp/credits for spotting a target while your artillery/heavies destroy it. Find a brush to hide in and profit
6) Tank destroyers typically have slightly better guns than regular tanks. The Marder II and Stug III in paticular are awesome. The Jagdpanther, Ferdinand and Jagdtiger are all p. decent. The hetzer is ok. The JagdIV is terribad.

QFT. Also:

7) Never park directly behind your mates - smart tankers reverse and hide behind cover for reloading (aka. peek-a-boo) and they'll rage hard if you block them.
8) Most American tanks have pretty good gun depression, so use that to get into hull down positions (here's an ilustration http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cc/Hull_down_tank_diagram.png )
9) When you're facing other tanks try to angle your tank slightly (ca. 20-30 deg) - it will boost your front armor by few mm while shots to your exposed side will most likely bounce.
10) When you're playing a medium tank: flank often and flank hard. And if your attack is stuck in a chokepoint, don't be afraid to leave your heavier mates and go somewhere else in the map where you can tip the scales in your team's favor.
11) When you're playing a heavy tank: don't be a fucking pussy. Push when you outnumber and outgun the enemy, yeah, you'll take a hit or two but that's what you are for. Just don't suicide, check the minimap and count the enemies on each side of the battlefield before going in with guns blazing.
12) Best way to kill a turretless TD is to detrack it (shoot at either first or last wheel) and/or glue yourself to his side to prevent him from turning.
13) Choose your targets wisely. Some tanks have good armor but crappy guns (Churchill) and should be a low priority, while others have awesome guns but are made of paper-mache (Marder II, M18 Hellcat) and should be dealt with first.
14) You HE shots can penetrate some of the ligher armors (arties, low tier TDs) and will explode inside the enemy tank dealing more damage than standard AP rounds.
15) When playing peek-a-boo it's sometimes better to use R to creep forward slowly than go in full speed with W.
16) Save your free exp for shit tanks (eg. T1 Heavy). Basic rule is: if the tank you're driving doesn't make you want to commit suicide then it's not worth spending free exp on it.

Edit:
My Is-3 just got ammo racked by Su-5. Su-fucking-5. Fucking arty.
:x

Zdzisiu

Arcane
I loved it, scored at the tops of matches regularly, tiered up to Pzkw IV and then couldn't score a single kill. Putting T4 tanks against T8 is just horseshit.
PzIV is a tier V tank. But I do agree that you need to work hard to damage the Tier VIII beasts. But remember that everytime there is a Tier VIII on the enemy team, there is also a Tier VIII on your team and thats his job to stop the one from opposite team. And yeah, I've been raped quite many times because in some special, magical way the very first tank that I met was the top tank of the other team, usually with a second and third right next to it.

As for the Tier IV meeting Tier IX ect. It only happens to light tanks because they are considered scout tanks, even if they are not particulary great at it. So my advice would be to grind through it, in High tier battles try just to spot enemies and maybe kill arty at the end, in your tier battles you are able to damage more tanks but still can be killed in 2-3 shots.

XenomorphII , spotting happens automaticaly, if a red "dot" appears on your map then everybody within radiorange will see him too, no need to press any special keys. But the radio range is quite important because only if you can reach your allies they can see what you see, and send the information further away with their radios.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron

PzIV is tier 5. It gets better once you mount the Schmallturm and the oversized penis gun. It's definately not a brawler though. Better played as a sniper/support tank.

Radio range isn't that important. 400ish range is enough to cover an entire battlefield in most cases (ally spots enemy at 400m, relays to you 400+400 meters away, 1.2k meter spot distance total). Upgrade out of the horrible 100-200 range radios early tanks get you but splurging on 700+ range ones isn't that helpful.

Elim

Augur
Project: Eternity
Yeah, play the Panzer 4 like a TD, if you get caught in the open you are fucked. Everything will penetrate you.

Don't know if this was posted already.

17) Do NOT rush to the high tier tanks just because they are "better", drive the tanks you like. I have a couple of T9 tanks in my garage, but i just learned that lesson a couple of weeks ago.
Now i drive mostly Su-85 and T29. The game is fun again.

Btw the french tank-destroyers look pretty solid. But it's such a kick in the teeth for the people that grinded the Jagdpanzer tank you should not name. French gun for the T6 TD: 212 Pen.
Sure.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Btw the french tank-destroyers look pretty solid. But it's such a kick in the teeth for the people that grinded the Jagdpanzer tank you should not name. French gun for the T6 TD: 212 Pen.
Sure.

:x

I JUST FINISHED THE 138mm PEN HELLGRIND YOU BAGUETTE-FUCKING FROG-FACED CUNTPIPES!

trais

Arcane
Patron
I hope this is some kind of VK3601H's 7,5 cm konisch type of gun, ie. very high pen but low dmg. Lulz otherwise.

Elim

Augur
Average Manatee
Thanks. ; )

I hope this is some kind of VK3601H's 7,5 cm konisch type of gun, ie. very high pen but low dmg. Lulz otherwise.

The following Stat's are for the tier5 tank-destroyer, i'm trying to get the numbers for the tier6. But i can't seem to find them.

Don't cry. Because i am.

76mm(caliber)
13.33 RPM
144/258/38 Average pen (AP/APCR/HE)
135/137/175 Average damage (AP/APCR/HE)
0.35 Accuracy
1.7sec Aim time

105mm(caliber)
5.56 RPM
165/223/54 Average pen (AP/APCR/HE)
300/330/360 Average damage (AP/APCR/HE)
0.41 Accuracy
2.9sec Aim time

90mm(Caliber)
7.5 RPM
135/175/45 Average pen (AP/APCR/HE)
240/240/320 Average damage (AP/APCR/HE)
.4 Accuracy
2.3sec Aim time

Does it have more than 10 HP?

If so then dayum.

Any word of interconnects between the TDs and the current line so I can snag one ASAP when they come out?

Elim

Augur
Here are the t6 stats.

Gun 90mm canon DCA 45 AC
6.67-9.8 RPM
212/258/45 Average pen (AP/APCR/HE)
240/240/320 Average damage (AP/APCR/HE)
0.34-0.36 Accuracy
1.7-2.9 Aiming time

trais

Arcane
Patron
105mm(caliber)
5.56 RPM
165/223/54 Average pen (AP/APCR/HE)
300/330/360 Average damage (AP/APCR/HE)
0.41 Accuracy
2.9sec Aim time

TROLOLOLO, T29's gun (with 35mm less pen but still) on t5? All hail our new french overlords.

Elim

Augur
I hope that stuff does not go live. That is just...i don't know, wrong.
But hey, at least the Su-85 has a new comrade. Now they can dominate StuGs and Wolverines together.

Techtree for you, Average Manatee
http://i.imgur.com/8W5nV.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom